+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by BWYuko View Post
    Whatever, go see a star war.

If they defang the warring powers, and curtail the eidolon and black mage devastation, it reduces the motive and arc of basically every strong character, especially Freya, Vivi, Zidane, Kuja, Dagger, Brahne, and Beatrix. If they stick to the script, and choose not to portray the massacres to avoid cold calls from Karen, fine, but I hope they at least retain the implied impact of certain scenes so guilty parties remain just as guilty, and character motivations just a strong.
    Yeah I remember the part in Star Wars were they consider and deal with the aftermath of a genocide multiple times as well as the impact it has on the cast. Like, really? You're comparing apples to genocide, and then trying to package it for children.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I know I'm feeding one of this forum's oldest trolls, but you really don't recall any of the scenes involving the destruction of Alderaan? Leia's pleas to Vader for mercy, her cold realization that her childhood home and Bail were gone in an instant? Obiwan's infamous, "great disturbance" line, coming to terms with the implication of millions of voices being suddenly silenced? The party's arrival in the "asteroid field" where the planet should've been? The terrifying might of the space nazis' new galactic superweapon? That every film in the series is rated PG or PG-13 and has catered to that exact demo to be one of the most lucrative merch machines in history? It's apples to apples.

What if Obiwan said, "Phew, it's a good thing everyone on Alderaan was away for summer vacation and nobody died. Dodged a real space bullet, there, eh?"

What if, upon losing Burmecia, Cleyra, Fratley, and her King in a matter of hours, Freya staggers onto the deck of the Red Rose after the Odin assault, and Zidane says, "Hey, I know that looked real bad, but don't worry, because while we were floating through the air, I saw that everyone totally made it safely off the tree in time, and were actually having a beach party. Everyone's totally fine, and you should feel fine"?

I'm being hyperbolic with my example scenarios, but all I've suggested is that I hope there isn't a level of retcon neutering that ruins context, character motive, or defangs the villainous factions.

Star Wars doesn't deal with genocide really, it deals with a big bad and all the bad stuff they do is just par for the course in establishing how bad they are. There's very little nuance to the evil in Star Wars which is why you can easily skirt around or just ignore the bad deeds and the scale is too large to really be understood by anyone young, and the characters reactions to it are mostly just to fight the big bad and stop the evil. They don't really stop to explore the impact these weapons have because that's not a fun space adventure.

Compared to FFIX where these events and their impact are the main driving force for the cast with the events changing them and the world forever. Reminds me of the first 3 episodes of Shadow Star everyone thought that was cute and cuddly until children's body parts started hitting the floor. While I don't disagree that a FFIX version of that wouldn't be hilarious I doubt it'll actually sell.

Oh yea a troll is someone who disagrees with you I forgot about that, sorry I don't think FFIX is appropriate for children 13 and under like you do must be horrible to have someone not think the same way. Just to put my end to this a FFIX adaptation that's faithful to the story sounds like a huge mistake when targeted at children, and a FFIX story that dilutes or removes what made FFIX great isn't worth making. I doubt whoever is making this can walk the line between saturday morning cartoon and genocide, but if it does come out I'll definitely watch to see how they fucked it up.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

You're right, troll was the wrong word.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

The genocide stuff never really bothered me in IX because of how cutesy everyone looked. It was like hearing a bunch of children reciting what their parents told them about genocide off-hand.

Still a very good game, but most people regard it fondly for the characters (omg shut up about Vivi already!), the OST and that "return" to "classic" FF vibes after the teen angst fest that was VII and VIII.

Fucking end boss was absolutely terrible, though. That's the most accurate thing they took from the old FFs, ironically: a stupid boss that comes out of nowhere and just has to be defeated because "the end of everything if you don't hero!"

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

The genocide stuff never really bothered me in IX because of how cutesy everyone looked. It was like hearing a bunch of children reciting what their parents told them about genocide off-hand.

Still a very good game, but most people regard it fondly for the characters (omg shut up about Vivi already!), the OST and that "return" to "classic" FF vibes after the teen angst fest that was VII and VIII.

Fucking end boss was absolutely terrible, though. That's the most accurate thing they took from the old FFs, ironically: a stupid boss that comes out of nowhere and just has to be defeated because "the end of everything if you don't hero!"

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Spoilered for zealot

Spoiler: show
    Garland has one throw away line on disc 3 that alludes to some higher being, presumably Necron. But it's really vague and stupid.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

I guess it has been 20 years so it's time for the nostalgia bucks.

Spoiler: show

FFIX follows SE's normal story pattern of starting with a trivial event and escalating to saving the world, but its story was really poorly integrated back-to-front. My memory is that the only notable foreshadowing of the disk 4 events was Zidane's previously unexplained tail. It felt like they hit a 3-disk game and were like, "uhh.... we can't figure out how to end it but we have some more time left until release so lets make it weird."

Not as bad as Xenogears disk 2, though.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Cyber Group Studios is showcasing their progress on this (along with 3 of their other new properties) at the Licensing Expo in Las Vegas this week. It runs May 24-26, and will be live-streamed, so a reveal trailer is expected before Friday.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Apparently progress was showcased to private investors only, so there was no public trailer. Back to waiting.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Damnit I thought the bump was to show the trailer lol

I wonder how if they intend to retell the story in animated form, or do a slice of life series of stuff post-game.
    I mean, during the game, we do have some horrific events, so ...
    A mist that turns animales into beasts...
    Blank gets petrified/stoned, though he gets better
    Black Waltz #3 is can be pretty creepy.... I EXIST ONLY TO KILL I EXIST ONLY TO KILL I EXIST ONLY TO KILL I EXIST ONLY TO KILL
    I don't recall the plot exactly but doesn't Queen Brahne gather some chaos emeralds/dragon balls to summon Alexander but Bahamut lol megaflares it and the city and everything gets rekt?
    We got this:

And of course Necron, essence of eternal death, lol

Plenty of other things too but too much to remember and mention. However, despite that, I do remember the interactions/cutscenes to be rather playful/cute which is perfect for a children's show, which is what makes me remember FFIX fondly because I truely remembered enjoying the game because of the chemistry between the characters (i.e. Zidane trolling Steiner, Steiner and Vivi's respect/comradry with each other, and so on)

Definitely very curious how they'll take this. A slice of life animation dealing with the issues post-game would work; children can enjoy the slice of life issues surrounding the gang (i.e. maybe Garnet being the new queen and everything revolving around that) is good of a plot enough. Children/Kids can just enjoy the pretty visuals (hopefully the animation will be nice) while fans/players of the game will know why or what is going on.

edit: sorry, I didn't realised this stuff was discussed prior to me posting. I was just excited to throw in my thoughts after what I thought would be the reveal! lol

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

The destruction of the tree and the handling of Lord Fratley (i think that's his name, the OG Rat Dragoon?) will be a good way to end up crying on a tuesday evening

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

To be forgotten is worse than death, yall

IX has never ranked highly for me and I feel like adapting this only really has 2 possible outcomes:
    1) It reaffirms how garbage a lot of the cast is outside of Zidane, Vivi, and Garnet.
    2) It goes to great lengths to fix #1, potentially souring fans for loss of purity.

If it's only 11-13 episodes, expect 100% trash. I don't even think 24 would be enough if doing it right. Plus there'd never be enough Beatrix.