Closed Thread
Page 86 of 151 FirstFirst ... 36 76 84 85 86 87 88 96 136 ... LastLast
    Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Public transit is also expensive as fuck in Stockholm. It's 116 USD a month for a subway/buss card. So I guess that helps to keep it nice and safe.

Edit: Although comparing the price of our buss pass to that of other cities around the world I guess it's not that expensive. People are up in arms in Stockholm that they keep raising the price by $10 a year.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

There are also only a couple cities where legit public transit exists. Most of the big east coast cities: New York, DC, Atlanta. Chicago. I think downtown LA maybe?

Public transit is tied up with housing practices too. If there was more high-density housing allowed closer to hubs, then the concept of mass transit becomes more economically viable because housing is cheaper, people can live closer, and make the mass transit serve more people, making it cheaper to operate on a per person basis.

But the American cultural desire for the “single-family” home with the lawn and the garage and the picturesque setting leads to sprawling suburbs around cities. DC, near where I live has many people that commute 40-50 miles on a given day to get to their office in the city. It becomes difficult for mass transit (like say a tram) to be economically viable when it has to reach a population base that far out.

On top of that white Americans (still the large majority of Americans although soon to be eclipsed by minorities as a whole soon) associate (either consciously or not) “downtown” with “inner city” and the violence that gets publicized in those communities. So white Americans think the cities are unsafe, which isn’t entirely inaccurate but also isn’t as much of a difference as exists in reality. So “white flight” from the cities draws economic pressures away from the city cores, leading to more resources being spent on highways and roads than on mass transit to serve those white populations because they vote in higher percentages (https://www.americanbar.org/groups/c...voter-turnout/).

The problem is more complicated than just “build more/better mass transit.it’s 100 years of cultural acclimation, civil rights difficulties, and economic pressures that lead to bad decision.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Thank you, that’s a really good explanation. It’s still a bit surprising though as part of that issue could be solved by having busses that go towards a hub station which can take you into the city. But I guess those people rather just take the car.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

On top of that white Americans (still the large majority of Americans although soon to be eclipsed by minorities as a whole soon)
    not sure it works like that but ok

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Redundancy notwithstanding, it does work like that.

They're projected to be in the minority pretty soon, but if you split it up demographically they're still quite the majority.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

why is it white people vs the entirety of all other races in your minds lol

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Pretty sure if I go to either downtown or inner city of Baltimore I'll get shot so it doesn't matter what I associate it with.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I have a single family home with a garage and trees and all that good stuff and my wife and I work 8min/2.5miles and 5min/2miles from work.

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

i live 25 miles from the school im teaching at now and it takes me 40-45 min to get there, thankfully i go the opposite way of traffic in the morning

i still need to move tho

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

I can never go back to an office.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

This is p much what happened to LA's transit system in the 1900s

Now transit construction is fighting back against NIMBYism. THANKS BIG OIL + CAR MANUFACTURERS!

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Uzor View Post
    Of course. Not saying cars aren't necessary in the US, I'm just baffled as to why public transit isn't more popular. I've always heard that public transit in the US are for the poor who can't afford a car, which just sounds absurd to me.
    What, you expect white people in major cities to rub shoulders with brown people?

BG Level

Short answer though: it's faster to drive almost everywhere, even on notoriously bad traffic corridors like the I-10 from DTLA to Santa Monica - unless you live right at the station and your destination is right at a station.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Uzor View Post
    People are here literally complaining that it took him 30 min to drive 8 miles. Instead of taking public transit or biking.

There are a lot of people that live more than an hour from work in Sweden too. There are people in Uppsala that work in Stockholm (around 20-40 miles, depending on where in Stockholm/Uppsala you work and live) and still take public transit instead of car.
    As others have said, public transit sucks here. Every tuesday, I have to work in Oakland, so I park at my office, which is across the street from the BART train, and I typically grab the 7:45 train so I can get to Oakland by 8, grab a bagel breakfast sandwich, and walk the five minutes to the office, as I can't park there. The only parking is either $30 a day, or controlled by the GSA and will drop a 80 dollar ticket on anyone parking there without a permit.

That said, 4 out of my last 5 trips to Oakland, the 7:45 train was cancelled at the absolute last minute, so I had to wait for the 8am train instead. My other option is to get to the train station before 7:30 and I sit in the office for an hour before I can begin.

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

imagine degrading yourself by taking public transit, last time i took a bus in LA i saw someone hitting a crackpipe and a puddle of piss

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

i think this was also the only time ive ever taken a bus in LA, buses in copenhagen very nice by contrast

BG Level

Biking around Copenhagen was extraordinarily pleasant, because they built proper biking infrastructure there. There's nothing comparable in any US city.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Same thing in Berlin for me. A lot of Europe does biking properly

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

When I lived in the Bay Area previously I used the BART alot because I lived like 1/4 mile from a station.

In the 3 years I was there I never once drove into San Fran because the BART could get me close enough to everything (well except for Candlestick, but I just took a bus from the nearest BART station cause fuck paying for parking there)

Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Because the automobile industry doesn't have a stranglehold on Europe/American society was built around cars and yt folks being able to travel away from black and brown folks to their suburban homes. Good public transit would make it easier for "transients" to make it to the suburbs and they definitely don't want that.