+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I'm utilizing this thread for all things crypto/NFT/"web 3" bullshit now.

Today the DOJ charged NFT scammers for a rug pull on their "frosties" NFTs, as they were preparing to launch a new scam. /shockedface.jpg
    https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/stat...YHnzaRUVhE4Oqg

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr...ering-scheme-0
    conspiracy to commit money laundering, in connection with a million-dollar scheme to defraud purchasers of NFTs advertised as “Frosties.” Rather than providing the benefits advertised to Frosties NFT purchasers, NGUYEN and LLACUNA transferred the cryptocurrency proceeds of the scheme to various cryptocurrency wallets under their control. Prior to their arrests in Los Angeles, California, NGUYEN and LLACUNA were preparing to launch the sale of a second set of NFTs advertised as “Embers,” which was anticipated to generate approximately $1.5 million in cryptocurrency proceeds.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/busine...ocketing-again

A little over one year after GameStop's stock price skyrocketed thanks to the enthusiasm of Reddit-organized day traders, the company's stock is once again surging thanks to a frenzy of wild financial moves.

Its stock is currently trading at $170.66 per share. That's slightly down from a recent peak of $189.59 on March 28th, but much higher than its low of $78.11 value from March 14th.

There are two key factors driving the current stock purchases. As Kotaku notes, GameStop board chairman purchased over 100,000 shares of the company's stock last week for roughly $10 million. The purchase made ripples in the online trading community, signaling positivity in the company's value.

Then this week GameStop announced an upcoming stock split (the first in 15 years) that would increase the number of purchasable shares from 300 million to 1 billion. Getting in before the split means that stockholders stand to see significant gains, because even though each share will be worth "less," they will have an equivalent number of shares as they currently hold, while new stock purchasers will need to spend more money to access that quantity of shares.

Again, this all comes without any major operational changes to GameStop's business model.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Relevant

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Even a moderate user of Reddit can see how disingenuous this is. It’s pretty clear at this point GME is going to follow essentially the same trend Tesla did, the powers that be are just fighting tooth and nail to prevent it.

Champion of the House of Weave
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Mythe_Seraph View Post
    Even a moderate user of Reddit can see how disingenuous this is. It’s pretty clear at this point GME is going to follow essentially the same trend Tesla did, the powers that be are just fighting tooth and nail to prevent it.
    Is that good or bad for stock holders? I didn't follow the Tesla thing. Asking because I still have 1 share of GME. lol

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Tomiko View Post
    Is that good or bad for stock holders? I didn't follow the Tesla thing. Asking because I still have 1 share of GME. lol
    I have triple digit shares. It's good for shareholders. Stock splits are good, and 7:1 is amazing.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The stock price will go up in response to the split because people are stupid (note this applies to all meme stocks, not just GameStop).

But it is effectively the company continuing to gimmick their way to higher valuation instead of you know... actually running a profitable company.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

It's okay not running a profitable company worked for Amazon and Tesla.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Literally taking pages from the musk/tesla playbook.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Stock splits are bullish. This is a split dividend. Holding shares is a good thing.

I’m not sure why Krandor is saying that people are stupid for holding shares of a stock that’s splitting. That’s literally the opposite sentiment for splits.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

He probably reads motley fool or watches jim cramer for financial advice

Pseudo-Elitist
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Roll 212!

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

If you legitimately believe a company like GameStop should be doing a stock split based on the actual value and performance of the company idk what to tell you. They're just memeing themselves to another quick payday.

I made some very good money off of the recent Nvidia stock split, but that's a company that actually does good business and not you know... Gamestop

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    If you legitimately believe a company like GameStop should be doing a stock split based on the actual value and performance of the company idk what to tell you. They're just memeing themselves to another quick payday.

I made some very good money off of the recent Nvidia stock split, but that's a company that actually does good business and not you know... Gamestop
    I mean, I did say that they’re following the same road Tesla did. You can’t say that Tesla made unfair moves for their shareholders when they were not exactly a well run company at the time.

I don’t think it’s unfair to criticize GameStop in its current state. But they are definitely positioning themselves for a promising future. That’s usually what a stock split is in preparation for. Also, saying they’re in it for a quick payday doesn’t compute considering nobody has substantially cashed out of their position.

Using a company like NVIDIA as an example of a well run or good company right now is kind of a joke. They’re actively capitalizing on an elevated market. Yeah, they returned some value to share holders, but it wasn’t due to their amazing business acumen. Right place. Right time.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

Stock splits are good for you if you already held stock(s).

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Not really a memestock question, but any recommendations of brokers to open a Roth IRA with?

And any opinions on Coverdall ESAs v 529s? I'm leaning toward maxing out an ESA and putting everything else into a 529 because of the ability to use ESA monies on Private High Schools.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post
    Not really a memestock question, but any recommendations of brokers to open a Roth IRA with?

And any opinions on Coverdall ESAs v 529s? I'm leaning toward maxing out an ESA and putting everything else into a 529 because of the ability to use ESA monies on Private High Schools.
    vanguard, schwab or fidelity. Pick your color, or UI style. That's really all there is to it.

Schwab had great customer service for me when I did a rollover. Friend loves vanguard.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Hard to fuck up choosing Vanguard, that's where all my IRA stuff is. Fidelity and a few others actually have even lower expense ratios on their S&P 500 trackers but it's negligible differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    vanguard, schwab or fidelity. Pick your color, or UI style. That's really all there is to it.

Schwab had great customer service for me when I did a rollover. Friend loves vanguard.
    ^

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Anyone moved money from one 529 account to another?

I spent 2 years investing in my daughters 529 account with fidelity to realize I could be claiming it on taxes, then discovered it had to be a VIRGINIA 529 account and the fidelity one I opened is incorporated in New Hampshire.

So I opened a virginia 529 account and started investing there, but want to consolidate and move the first 2 years of money into to virginia 529 instead.

Any chance this is simple or am I about to have to do a ton of paperwork?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag