1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 3 hours, 38 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 20 hours, 21 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 20 hours, 38 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 13 hours, 21 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Yeah, kinda dumb seeing donation goals for like "$100 and I'll fantasia into a lala" but shit is what it is.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Dotsudoku View Post
    how do grown men and women still think shit like that is funny
    His brain is stuck thinking it's 2007.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

I've seen worse goals.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Dotsudoku View Post
    unless there's a meta meme I don't know about I think you're thinking of rich

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Moron doesn't know that its an illusion caused by the water flowing around the fucking pipe or tube.

Absolute dithering idiot, but hey, he's e-famous, so it is what it is.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    jesus lol

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    I want to punch you for exposing me to this.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    I'd be curious to see more examples.
    My friends and I p. much play every mmo. We like to jump around and try new shit. Anytime a new game came out, within a year later we’d see something from that game appear in WoW.

For example: Wintergrasp (castle siege in WoW) came out in 2009. Warhammer a castle siege mmo came out in 2008.

Temple of Kotmogu (bg with orbs you collect that causes you damage, came out in 2012. Murderball in Star Wars has the exact same mechanic except 1 ball instead of 4 came out in 2011.

Dailies wasn’t a Bliz idea, either, but I forget which MMO started it….Aion maybe. I know for sure they existed by the time bliz did it.

Now, in their defense, FFXIV has some WoW influences, too. It’s what caused a huge change in stand at the feet and fight of ffxi to move and dodge all the shit in 14. But when you really look at it, WoW thrived off of taking other ideas.

Hell, there was all that drama back in the day because they used well known celeb dances for /dance and Carlton tried to sue them and failed.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Also, XI launched in NA a year before WoW,
    And wasn't there stuff in XI at the time, that wasn't in launch WoW, but a few patches in, WoW suddenly got from XI?

(this is vaguely remembered, I didn't care much at the time)

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

2.0 is basically ripped entirely off of WoW: Cata. It really didn't start forming its own identity until 3.0., which is fine, because 2.0. had to salvage the festering pile of shit that was 1.0. XI stole nearly everything from EQ, and EQ likely ripped from another, and so it goes.

If you aren't taking from what you've already seen works out there, you're setting yourself up from failure. The major bullshit with Blizzard, though, is that their stupid Western method of PR stresses to lie, lie, LIE about everything. Where Yoshi and crew will proudly declare that they took inspiration from others and praise those companies, WoW will steal from you and deflect like the pettiest person around: kinda like their fucking CEO. Blizzard has so little faith in their own upcoming patches and projects that instead of simply releasing trailers and letting the product speak for itself, they throw out a bunch of nervous preamble about how "proud they are of their content creators and team-members", like anybody gives a shit how proud they are of something they've made when it turns out to be absolute hot sun-soaked ass.

The AAA corporate PR mindset is so irritating, but it certainly makes it enjoyable watching their house of cards crumble around them. They're catching shit for the lawsuits, for Diablo, for WoW, for OW (good luck getting any sponsors for the league next season!) and if they weren't so fucking petty and so quick to pass the fucking buck and deflect blame, people wouldn't be feeling so cathartic in their struggles.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

other than a dragon and some landscaping what did 2.0 take from Cata

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Go watch the Yoshi interview yourself. They took everything from the Justice Point system for end-game gearing to hub quest progression. This stuff isn't new: Yoshi was talking about it as far back as the 3.X live letter interviews.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Drai Draken
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

I mean, sometimes it's more blatant then other times :3

Spoiler: show

Yeah, I wasn't really fussing over content concepts. I'd argue there's an actual limit on types of content (which contributes to genres like MMOs, FPS, Puzzle, etc.) and overall it's up to a given game to repackage it in a way that's appealing to its users relative to ease, grind, etc.. My interest was more on the spectrum of overt theft of iconography like the above or, hypothetically, them being coy and making a dark mage sort of character name Semet-Elk who's snarky and makes lots of hand gestures. My correlation to Chinese games was that they do things like blatantly rip off Diablo and Tyrael, but just call them Devil and Angel despite the former being a burly red spiky dude while the latter is a faceless man with glowy wings. It's just something you can't quite call an homage/shoutout/cameo/whatever.

Rare cases of a standalone complex where two unrelated companies come up with the same idea at roughly the same time could happen, but I don't think Blizz gets the benefit of the doubt in what's triggered this between time apart, WoW's fall, XIV's rise, and workplace shenanigans. Something like that very much screams "we've been shortstaffed and overworked with people who probably shouldn't be here to begin with, what can we pull out of our ass to save time/money?" and someone on the team that happened to play XIV "recreated" that.

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I can't think of anything off the top my head WoW, a game that is a polar opposite of what FFXI is and was could ever benefit from lifting from it.

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

LOL Pyro is starting Shadowbringers and is losing it before even leaving the Crystarium lol

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    I can't think of anything off the top my head WoW, a game that is a polar opposite of what FFXI is and was could ever benefit from lifting from it.
    Not from XI, no. Plenty from XIV, but not a damned thing from XI.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag