Ragns Meuhie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Google translate from the website:
    February 22nd 2022: NieR: Automata TV animation decision

The popular action RPG game NieR: Automata, which was released by Square Enix on February 23, 2017 and has sold over 6 million units worldwide.

We announced the decision to make a TV animation in NieR: Automata 5th Anniversary Live Broadcast which was delivered today, just 5 years after its release.

NieR: Automata is an action RPG produced by Square Enix and developed by PlatinumGames.

The stage is a distant future in which human beings are routing to the moon in front of the overwhelming force of "machine life forms" that aliens unleash. 2B belonging to the newly organized android unit Yorha will put herself into a fierce battle to recapture the earth.

Along with the lifting of the ban on this information, we have released a newly drawn animation visual and a trailer to announce the decision to animate.

Yeah hopefully it'll be cool but Nier: Automata did such a fantastic job at taking advantage of the medium.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by carlweathers View Post
    Yeah hopefully it'll be cool but Nier: Automata did such a fantastic job at taking advantage of the medium.
    Yeah, that's very true. A big part of the charm is the way the story is explored through each path

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

At least the voice actors for both English and Japanese are extremely well established already in the anime world, so at least that's most of the casting done unless they decide to not use them! Looking forward to seeing the animation style. It seems like it's just a retelling of the game in anime form based on the synopsis, which isn't bad but I wonder if they will be able to cover the whole game in a singular season of 24 episodes, to be generous. If they don't make it like that, then I can only presume it'll be 12 episodes covering the important plot elements/turning points of the game.

I hope they do not pull an insert character to inject into the main story so everything can be viewed from another point of view.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

NieR: Automata - Animation Project

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    I hope they do not pull an insert character to inject into the main story so everything can be viewed from another point of view.
    No need imo. If they want to go that direction than just have us view the events through the pods eyes.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Probably not really much discussion needs to be done about this anime, since I assume it is just going to follow the game, but the first episode was still pretty nice. I have some friends that don't play games and I'm curious how they will like it.

Spoiler: show
    The way they are handling all the silly endings is pretty fun too, I wasn't sure if they were just going to skip them for the anime lol.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Me when I saw the CGI:

Marx was fine though somewhat. But the flight units man ...

It's nice for them to hint several things already in a subtle way, the very opening sequence, or how 2B wishes for 9S's happiness, even the ending sequence talking about unknown designations for the units
    I saw a bit of hype surrounding the opening and who it was going to be sung by but I wasn't too captivated by it nor did I enjoy it

Still, it'll be a weekly watch. I don't mind seeing it animated

CG is indeed tragic but the art otherwise is really nice and the animation is good. Music ofc slaps so this should be a good one if the animation keeps up.

Is this dubbed with the same voice cast as the game? would be weird to watch dubbed if not.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Completely forgot this was a thing. Guess I’ll check it out right now.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    CG is indeed tragic but the art otherwise is really nice and the animation is good. Music ofc slaps so this should be a good one if the animation keeps up.

Is this dubbed with the same voice cast as the game? would be weird to watch dubbed if not.
    For 2B and 9S it is indeed the same (JP) voice actors. Not sure about the rest but they sound like just like they did in the game when I went through it on JP. No English version has been announced though

In a sense, it's cool they expand certain scenes. i.e. at the beginning of the game we never see what was firing at us (we presume the first boss). Here they show it and it gets dunked too

Added lines help set the expecation for upcoming encounters. The first chainsaw attack 2B orders the Pod to fire a full energy blast (the special move you first receive for the Pod). The pod then warns 2B that it will overload it but 2B commands it to shoot. After the chainsaw gets one shot, the Pod then follows up with that it won't be able to use it for another 13 hours (30 seconds or something in game lol), so I guess this is to prevent viewers wondering why it won't be used vs Marx. This is "new" but at the same time "natural" to help set up the following scenes.

Additional odd changes/swaps: They lifted the scene/lines from the City Ruins (prior to getting to the game) and placed it in the factory where 2B encounters a bunch of neutral (yellowed) eyed machines. I wasn't sure why they decided to do it here instead of leaving it for when they land on Earth later post the bunker section.

Of course there's many more I've probably missed.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Watched the first episode last night. How they are handling all the random endings was hilarious to me. I'm concerned with how short the episodes are, though at least it looks like it's going to be 24 episodes long.

Curious if they will dedicate an episode to Emil's despair when he goes insane and nearly blows up the planet

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Episode 2 completely did not play out the way I thought it would.

I kept thinking it was maybe a flashback but it was actually in real time; I thought the group was going to be setting up camp, but it seems like the camp has yet to be set up.

It's a bit refreshing since it's not following the game to a line. Lots of groundwork being layed here.

Seeing some quest chars was also nice, I particularly enjoyed seeing 8B. I love how heavily armed this unit is:

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Yeah, episode 2 was not where I thought this series would go after that almost 1:1 first episode lol. I really liked it.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

The NieR Automata anime is delayed, due to the impact of rising COVID-19 infections on the series' production schedule
    https://www.siliconera.com/nier-auto...complications/

We knew that the desert was based off the facade but to reveal a bit of it when 9S hacked the bot was a pleasant surprise
    The pods clinging onto the truck was funny
    The pods being cuddled/held by the duo was even better after they retrieve it

Otherwise, the use of the OST tune Blissful Death was also chill inducing; in the same manner as when the church got entered back half a year ago or so! (This track was rarely used if only at 2 or 3 places that I can remember). It's cool to see them pluck music here and there and use it to enhance a scene.

edit: Just a thought but I'm posting on the basis that unless there's a major massive thing that was not expected, spoilers to the game/plot are OK but I'm happy to spoiler tag stuff up. Unsure who the viewers of this thread may be but I'm pretty confident it's everyone who has played the game haha, but I'm also happy to switch it up

I would spoiler stuff in-game just if someone hasn't played, I wouldn't assume everyone here has (even tho they should.)

Episode 3 was a great surprise (more Jackass is never bad), but it figures as I was getting into it they would go and do this shit.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Episode 4 and beyond delayed due to covid.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Episode 4 will air on Saturday

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Not too OK of an episode. A none player would definitely probably bail out lol

The new take on the hacking scenes though was nice.

Feels like they rushed part of it, but I understand why, there's a lot of ground to cover.

I thought the 2nd half of the episode would be reaching Simone, and a bit of her backstory, and the next episode would be fight + conclusion then moving on

But I liked it, and the slight music remixes.