Closed Thread
    New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

QR Code Reader for Windows 10

My tech illiterate mother got a bill from a local business and the invoice "helpfully" provided a QR code to the billing page instead of a link (I have verified that she did do business with this company so it shouldn't be a scam). She's on Windows 10 using the Mozilla Thunderbird email client, and does not have a smart phone. I thought this would be an easy problem to solve but I can't find any utilities to do this that don't seem shady from companies I've never heard of.

I've asked her to contact them to send something in a link form that she can just click on but in the meantime I'd really like to find a way to do this so that I didn't just waste an hour trying to research. Can anyone recommend software that can do this? I really don't feel like dealing with malware infestation on top of the issue.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Googled “ software qr code reader” and got a bunch of hits

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Yes, and most of it looked like shovelware or malware from companies I never heard of which is why I'm asking if anyone has any personal recommendations.

Old Merits
    BG Level

What kind of link would it yield? Can't she forward the thing to you so you can scan it and send her the link?

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Petitssk View Post
    What kind of link would it yield? Can't she forward the thing to you so you can scan it and send her the link?
    Unless it's a superfrequent thing, this is probably the easiest answer. you probably already spent more time working on it than just doing this once a month.
    (I am assuming from what you wrote that she gets the bill in digital form, and can just forward it)

Also; QR codes can seriously burn, just give me general ocr options.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

It's supposedly a one time thing, having her forward it to me was a challenge in and of itself but probably easiest in the long run. Thanks for the advice. Really surprised this isn't easier to deal with on a desktop without involving a phone.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Btw, does anyone else think providing a QR code to direct someone to a billing page seem sus? You cant validate the link until you've already scanned the code, seems like something easy for phishers to exploit.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Yeah it is suspicious. It's like they expected everyone to have a phone, tho Ralph's mom seems to be the rare unicorn that doesn't have a smartphone.

I looked myself; the only open source one is not grandma friendly (you have to compile it yourself) so that's out. Wish you luck.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by NynJa View Post
    Btw, does anyone else think providing a QR code to direct someone to a billing page seem sus? You cant validate the link until you've already scanned the code, seems like something easy for phishers to exploit.
    It is beyond retarded from a IT security point of view. I work in this field, though M365/Azure focused, and I would change whatever provider made this mandatory. It's worse than sending your clients clickable links requiring logins on text/e-mail to manage sensitive information, which in itself is idiotic.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I finally dragged the whole story out of mom after seeing where this QR code led to. It's a venmo link to a local girl scout troop for something so incredibly dumb and mom-like that she's doing for their anniversary. And the people who are taking the donations are young enough to have no concept of life before cellphones.

Android 7 doesn't have native QR code support so that was a fun adventure in itself but at least I found an android app from a company I've heard of unlike the windows versions.

So hopefully this trainwreck has finally reached its destination.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Oh boy, let me guess, girl scout cookies? Still they should of thought of the grandmas.. XD

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Decorating the lawn in flamingos because mom reasons lol