FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Mac Jones out this week

Keenan Allen too

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    That's what's at issue, people reaction to seeing that stumble and what they believe is the cause. But his stumbling could be explained by aggravating a back injury. And he did get folded like a tent on a QB sneak and came out of that pile holding his back. Tua said it was hyperextended. Next play is apparently when he stumbled after getting up. Per Tua, he didn't even know when going into the locker room that everyone thought it was a head injury. Then you have 2 doctors evaluating and clearing him, then 4 more tests clearing him on subsequent days.

That's the NFL and Dolphins line and you're going to have a hard time disproving that.

I'm not convinced either way re: Sunday's injury. Could have been head. Could have been back. Who knows. Let people investigate. But people calling for heads to roll here are doing so based on thinking they know what happened sunday...and they don't.
    You don't go into a fencing response because you tweaked your back, my guy.

Whether he was or wasn't concussed isn't even the heart of the issue. He clearly wasn't right after the first hit on Sunday. Back, brain, whatever, he shouldn't have been back on the field 15 minutes later, and he certainly shouldn't have been out there last night. They're called "precautionary" reasons for a reason. He doesn't need to be definitively concussed for you to be able to say "probably shouldn't let this guy back out on the field tonight."

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

I'm just saying, not every concussion has classic signs and symptoms. I'm not going to armchair neurology here but the clinical suspicion should have been high enough to bench him for a while until they were sure. The posturing alone in the second game would have been reason enough to say "nope you get evaluated and then come back".

I also don't trust field doctors if there's pressure to get someone back on the field and there's no early signs of concussion whether they score it or not.

Like I said, players have been pulled from the field for far less for far more time. There's no reason to not err on the side of caution with Tua.

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

https://twitter.com/marcel_lj/status...08013587808266

watching a screen right after getting a concussion bad enough for hospitalization aint great lol

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cail View Post

watching a screen right after getting a concussion bad enough for hospitalization aint great lol
    Getting top quality care, for sure.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    I also don't trust field doctors if there's pressure to get someone back on the field and there's no early signs of concussion whether they score it or not.

Like I said, players have been pulled from the field for far less for far more time. There's no reason to not err on the side of caution with Tua.
    The major issue is there's a different line of demarcation with this stuff when it comes to QBs compared to other positions on the field... which obviously happens because QBs are the money position. If Tom Brady hit his head, they would never in a million years pull him from the game purely due to caution... But with linebackers, corners, and shit they do all the time because that's technically how they're supposed to handle on-field head injuries.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cail View Post

You're just playing armchair neurologist

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    You don't go into a fencing response because you tweaked your back, my guy.
    He didn't have a fencing sign on Sunday.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Also, whether he was or wasn't concussed sunday is 100% the issue. The entire issue. None of this discussion is centered on what happened Thursday. All of it's centered on what happened Sunday and whether he should have been allowed to play Sunday or Thursday.

I don't know. And you don't either. Because neither of us are trained neuroscientists with direct involvement in his care.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I mean, lets be honest. As a whole, the NFL doesn't have the greatest accountability when it comes to concussions. Hell, the settlement money triggered another lawsuit due to racial bias testing that put black athletes at a lower cognitive function by default.

I trust the NFL to handle and pull a QB for a concussion about as much as I trust my brother with a loan. And if you've followed me in Spam, you know how that went.

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

He didn't have a fencing sign on Sunday.
    His hands being torqued like that is a fencing response.

It doesn't matter if he was concussed on the play on Sunday or not. The Dolphins put the result of a game ahead of the wellbeing of a person, and they did it again last night. Whether or not he was clinically concussed, he showed very obvious concussion symptoms and any reasonable person would say he should probably sit. The team put him in a compromising position by letting him return to play on Sunday, and they put him in a compromising position on Thursday by letting him take the field. If your only defense of that is "no one knows if he was TECHNICALLY, CLINICALLY concussed", I sure hope you've never called in to work because you didn't feel well but weren't clinically diagnosed with the flu.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Thursday and Sunday are different days

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

The NFL developed their own concussion scale to implement on the players to evaluate their symptoms. "This scale we made up says you're all good". None of it is particularly trustworthy.

But who do you blame? The independent doc who cleared them? The team doc who cleared them? The player who said it was a back issue? The coach who listened to what the professionals told him?

It all boils down to everyone believing Tua suffered a head injury Sunday and should have never played Thursday. This comes despite everyone involved in his care denying there was a head injury Sunday. Now everyone's left to reconcile last night with sunday night and a lot of strong, unsubstantiated opinions are being thrown around.

No one's going to get any closure unless it comes out that someone was intentionally hiding something on Sunday or throughout the week during his follow-up testing.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Asking what day it is is also a question you can ask to evaluate neurological status.

Do you know what day it is today?

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Michael Thomas + Jameis Winston out Sunday.

London always gets the best games lol

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Asking what day it is is also a question you can ask to evaluate neurological status.

Do you know what day it is today?
    Today sir? Why, it's Christmas Day.

BG Level

Tyche, I have closure

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    Thursday and Sunday are different days
    He displayed clear concussion symptoms on both plays, Sunday when he stumbled and Thursday when he did the Edward Scissor Hands.

BG Level

He displayed clear concussion symptoms on both plays, Sunday when he stumbled and Thursday when he did the Edward Scissor Hands.
    Obsidian also has closure

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast