• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Computer not going to sleep automatically

Had to get a new SSD while I RMA my Samsung 980 Pro. Got windows re-installed, but system will not go to sleep mode or turn off the displays unless I manually tell the system to go into sleep mode.

Any idea what may be going on? Got latest drivers, firmware, bios, etc. already installed, and didn't have issues with the previous install.

Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ragns Meuhie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Last time I had something similar it was a weird driver that prevented it from going to sleep.

I assume you did the usual checks in the power settings control panel for sleep stuff and usb suspend settings.

Also wake on lan enabled in the bios and/or drivers could prevent sleep.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Yeah, pretty much done all the driver updates, did the command prompt check to see what's asking for power and not seeing anything in there. Just driving me insane trying to figure it out.

It might not be your problem, but my Razor mouse does this for me. It took me a while to figure it out, but even with the correct drivers, it will not let my computer sleep. I'm guessing the DPI I like is so sensitive that it makes little micro moves that my computer thinks is me moving the mouse. If I unplug the mouse from the computer, it will sleep as expected.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

A weird one for me is that having a controller plugged in (PS5 DualSense in my case, but I think some others as well) will prevent my PC from even going idle, much less to sleep. So seconding weird drivers and peripherals? Try unplugging/swapping plugged in items to maybe find culprit.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by zandterman View Post
    A weird one for me is that having a controller plugged in (PS5 DualSense in my case, but I think some others as well) will prevent my PC from even going idle, much less to sleep. So seconding weird drivers and peripherals? Try unplugging/swapping plugged in items to maybe find culprit.
    I had this problem until my Windows update last week (PS4 controller stops my PC going idle/monitor turning off)
    Didn't have this problem on old PC, Windows 10
    New PC Windows 11 happened day one
    I gave up fixing it for a long time but noticed my monitor has been going off since I installed the windows update last week

It was either:

KB4023057: Update for Windows Update Service components

or

February 14, 2023—KB5022845 (OS Build 22621.1265)

edit: Possibly Windows 11, version 22H2 too, no KB number

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    I had this problem until my Windows update last week (PS4 controller stops my PC going idle/monitor turning off)
    Didn't have this problem on old PC, Windows 10
    New PC Windows 11 happened day one
    I gave up fixing it for a long time but noticed my monitor has been going off since I installed the windows update last week

It was either:

KB4023057: Update for Windows Update Service components

or

February 14, 2023—KB5022845 (OS Build 22621.1265)

edit: Possibly Windows 11, version 22H2 too, no KB number
    Looks like it was my fight stick, which is ps3/ps4/PC. Unplugged that and the monitor actually shut off after a minute.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Oh that's good you discovered the source; I download some script that runs in command prompt or powershell, I forget now, which counts how long your computer has been idle for. The idea is you can quickly troubleshoot by unplugging various devices to see which device when unplugged lets the timer increase.

Did this just suddenly started happening for you, or did you also switch to Windows 11 when you reinstalled Windows? (assuming you were on 10 before and not 11)

Curious because now my problem has gone away since the updates I wonder if this problem is fixed for anyone else.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

This was sudden on a fresh install of 10 (was on 11 with my old drive I have to rma) and the fight stick was connected then.

So still no clue why it all of a sudden became an issue. Just glad I figured it out

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Pseudo-Elitist
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

So, slightly related but I've been unhappy with the noise levels of my storage drives of late and had set them up to spin down when idle but they seem to keep randomly spinning up - invariably when I'm trying to sleep. I set the turn off hard disk setting to be after a few minutes, disabled indexing for the drives, confirmed the paging file is only on my main disk, disabled the disk space checks, disabled SysMain service but they still keep spinning up. They just contain movies and tv shows and I'm not seeding anything from them, no windows defender scheduled tasks at the time either but still don't know what else could be triggering them to spin up, anything I could have overlooked?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Do you have plex or some other media share software that could be indexing during off-peak utilization?

Pseudo-Elitist
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Nope, disabled Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service too.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Dumb question, but any pets that run around like crack heads? A few times my computer has gotten knocked out of sleep mode just due to my cat jumping off my chair, causing my desk to shake enough to move the mouse.

Pseudo-Elitist
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Nope, nothing like that. Mouse sitting in charging dock too so shouldn't be any errant movement.

What's the frequency? I think defrag is weekly by default, if that lines up with when it's happening.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

SMART checks?

Also is there a reason you're leaving your computer on all through the night especially if ends up randomly waking you up?

Pseudo-Elitist
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Defrag set to monthly, but drive seems to randomly spin up like every couple of hours.

I usually leave it on all the time and never messed with any power setting, but the higher capacity drives I have now are apparently pitched just high enough to be annoying when idle - not like it's waking me up but it's annoying to go from silence to sudden hard drive noises when I'm trying to go to bed - or even when I'm not really.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag