She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Let's talk about a tech problem..To a room problem. (Room Design software.)

Because of the little thing coming up that I can't talk about much online atm, (Patience, grasshopper there. I might be able to finally blow the lid off it in a week or two and fess up in either random fail or random win; The big thing is somewhere in between really.) me and Shadowneko are talking about redecorating the living room. (Among other things, including some minor remodeling. I only call that remodeling minor b/c we're fixing stuff that has not ever gotten fixed.) Problem is I don't want to do it in reality until the mess is over b/c my other brother would get really angry and THAT I don't want.

Wondered if there was a way to do it a la Animal Crossing or something like that; I found This. Not sure how to import the offending room though.

So thought I'd ask BG. Any ideas on this? Or any software or something I could use? I just want to plan this out before we buy anything.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

You'd probably be able to scan the furniture with LiDAR if the app supports that and you have something with it but otherwise what you're asking isnt something you can really do at room scale with that thing you linked. You'll need measurements of the room and you'll have to draw it in yourself.

According to the internet there are people that can be paid for home scale LiDAR CAD conversions but that's probably beyond what you want to do.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Ouch. Tho yeah, if there's alternatives I'd want to know. ^^

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

I've used floorplanner.com for basic furniture layout decisions, but you have to measure and put in a lot of stuff (they have a database of popular items but you can't count on it). Still it's worked very well for me, just time intensive. I think there are some design things it can do but I've never looked into that.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I paid a company when we were doing the interior design of our home. I took about 10 pics of each room and gave the room/doorway/window dimensions and they handled the furniture and stuff from that. Cost was, iirc, about $150 a room. I was able to move and mod furniture with a bunch of retail partners they had and what those partners sold. Stuff from like crate and Barrell, west elm, pottery barn, etc. All their models had the furniture dimensions, so I could easily substitute for things from any store if I had those dimensions and I'd know if they'd fit. They built a whole 3d model of the room though and it was perfect.

Here's what the designs looked like and then what the room actually looked like when it was -mostly- finished.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

iirc Ikea has a scale-accurate tool you can use: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/home-design/

If you're looking for a literal video game, The Sims is obviously the go-to. Just enter cheat codes to get infinite money/access and use it as a room designer.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Byrthnoth; Both are good ideas. I prolly won't use Ikea for more than that, we'll proly be buying a new couch elsewhere. (There IS a Ikea in Atlanta, but their couches from all reports leave a lot to be desired and are not very comfortable. And one of the things we need to do is rep a very broken down/worn out sectional with something; 'Neko was saying we should rep it with a straight couch.) And I'll check on the price of the Sims for that, that also has plausible deniability if I get caught lol.

Tyche; Nice! Shame I don't know anyone who does that, and since we're having to wait to do it in reality (No ruffling that other brother's feathers! Eeep he's been a big grouch lately!) that wouldn't be a option for us. The idea is to plan what we want to do before we do it room decoration wise, then bring it to reality when things calm down. I'm also hoping we can use some paintings my Grandma Clay did, if they didn't get ruined by being stored; I explained to 'Neko that I wanted to keep the nerdy posters in the bedrooms and not in the living room, which I think is a public area pretty much. Not b/c we're embarrassed, but b/c I know not everyone shares that like and I'd rather people feel comfortable joining us there..