Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
Closed Thread

Thread: Melees and HMN fights     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Melees and HMN fights

I'm just a lowely lvl 55 mnk on Bismarck, but I have recently started turning my attention to HMN to learn as much about how to succeed in an HNM fight for when I am able to fight them. I noticed on your website you guys talk about needed a whm sub for some HNMs (fafnir, specifically). Being a mnk/war, and facing lvling thf and sam at 60 for fuidoma and meditate (and not looking forward to lvling another job from lvl 1), I humbly have a few question:
    1) Why whm? If it's just for extra protection, why not rdm for stoneskin AND phalanx.
    2) Aside for Fafnir, are they other HNM that require a whm sub for melee jobs?

Secondly, as a mnk, will my sole role by boost, boost, boost (repeat) chi blast? If so, is it worth it to go all out with getting the really uber expensive mind+ gear like a pride staff?

Finally, my profile is:
    http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?12556
    Comments and criticism are MOST welcome. I would love the input of ppl in this godly LS.

m(__)m

stoneskin/whm/rdm sub is for absorbing part of the wyrm type WS hurricane wing
    also for monk, it enhances mnd, which enhances chi blast, which does a TON of damage on stuff you can't hit well or for much
    not everyone needs stoneskin sub if there are dedicated summoners, but because of the bonus to chi blast (i think) all monks should have whm sub

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

aye for a monk whm sub is needed...

Also when you fight harder mobs, you build up tp and switch out members to dump TP... well in your case WS and chiblast. When you're out side the alliance you can heal yourself...

a tip: our monks take chiblast seriously, and get ALL the mnd they can... you can use antacid and remove food them eat +10mnd food for chiblast. we've seen a good monk chiblast fafnir for like 1000, which is godly.

but for hnm hunting, you should get whm and thf.

-Ondori-

Relic Shield
    BG Level

sam sub not very useful for mnk

pretty much any serious HNM is going to have very high defense and evasion, due to the fact they're like 20 levels above you. imagine punching something for about under 10 damage every hit, and doing asuran fists for about 50 damage. meanwhile a ranger shoots for about 80-100 damage and does WS for 400-500 damage. the mnk dmg isn't high enough to justify keeping them in a spot in the alliance that has the HNM engaged. it would be better for you to be outside of the PT, boosting, letting someone who can hit the NM harder be in the party hitting it normal. and then once you've boosted to full, switch into one of the PTs, chi blast for over 1000 damage, and then let the other guy back in.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

[thank you]

Thx guys, I really value your opinions, i'll focus the time I would have spent on sam on whm instead, and start farming for all the mnd+ equip I can get.

How about dynamis, I assume it's somewhat different from an HNM fight, what do you recommend a mnk do there?

Finally: I helped take down Aquarius tonight! Nothing compared to Kirin or the other gods, but it was an amazing experience for me. I focused on boosting and chiblasting and did well. ^^

dynamis maybe mnk/nin

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

Good job.... At one point you wana think about thf too... sorry to say...

Monk/Thf + dragon kick = Pain.

grats on your NM!

-Ondori-

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

mnk/thf

Yeah, at 60 a plan on lvling thf up to 37 too [/cry]. My static just switched it's pld and thf for a nin and rng. Definately good damage potentional, but I'm figuring until I can sub thf for fuidoma hate might be an issue (the static is currently nin/war, war/nin, mnk/war, rng/nin, rdm/blm, whm/smn). Oh well, just part of the path to being uber, i'm sure you guys understand what's it like.

Thx again for the input.

PS. ondori, your vids > all.

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Re: Melees and HMN fights

Quote Originally Posted by kurotatsu
    I noticed on your website you guys talk about needed a whm sub for some HNMs (fafnir, specifically).
    Oh dear God...

Edit: Nevermind! It's after my yummy brains.

Tonko

NOT advanced discussion.

Jeez...

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by megabyte
    >_>
    Was there a reason for this bump?

Of course not, he bumped it because he wants to increase the locked thread count on the front page.

Ban him.

EDIT: Septimus moved it, lol.

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Tonko
    NOT advanced discussion.

Jeez...
    omg, he got Tonko!

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

People are seriously working my nerves today. Knock it off.