Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello PLD VS NIN for HNM     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Hello PLD VS NIN for HNM

Hi, I have seen many HNMs from the Videos tanked by PLDs.
    I have both PLD and NIN, which one do you think tank better for HNM?

I have killed Genbu using PLD as main tank. And Please comment about PLD and NIN, of why its good or bad things.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

it depends

nin is good for evasion and shadow tanking

pld is good for damage reduction and taking high damage ws/spell

both are capable of marathon

on things that hit hard but slowly or with little AoE, nin is your best shot. stuff that hits weak should be tanked by pld (casters -> pld as well)

for example you dont bring nin to byakko because he has triple attack which will destroy your utsusemi in less than 2 seconds (ask enitsu). you need some good timing and practice to nin tank byakko, pld works better here

and you dont bring pld to serket (preferably) because he hits slowly but pretty hard

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Thx

Thanks for The reply. I will be figthing suzaku this weekend. Which job should I use to tank this bird?.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas
    it depends

nin is good for evasion and shadow tanking

pld is good for damage reduction and taking high damage ws/spell

both are capable of marathon

on things that hit hard but slowly or with little AoE, nin is your best shot. stuff that hits weak should be tanked by pld (casters -> pld as well)

for example you dont bring nin to byakko because he has triple attack which will destroy your utsusemi in less than 2 seconds (ask enitsu). you need some good timing and practice to nin tank byakko, pld works better here

and you dont bring pld to serket (preferably) because he hits slowly but pretty hard
    ya, a nin can get away with tanking byakko but it's harder then it looks and takes alot of team work (double mambo etc). Just as Iduna how parklife did it. He did it for around 4min but it was long enough to get the PLD back on his feet and take over... only to die again lol.

In general, for things that don't have to be kited, I've found that PLD > NIN in almost everything (sky gods, Fafnir, Aspido). The reason being is if you have a setup something akin to PLD/WAR, PLD/WAR, WHM/SMN, WHM/SMN, BRD, RDM for a tank PT. You can share hate between the PLDs and basically make them NIN tanks with Aerial Armor, but unlike NIN, PLD generally have a higher capacity to generate emnity towards themselves, and not have said HNM eat the mages. As well, when Aerial Armor does drop, the PLD won't die in 1-2 hits normal hits. For Aspidochelone NIN tanks perfectly fine, but the problem is that unless they want to spend gratuitous amounts of gil on Ninjutsu, they won't keep hate when the BLM have to spam spells when it pulls its head in. For King Behemoth, NIN tanks generally own PLD tanks, usually for when my LS takes it the PLD play backup when the NIN get into any sort of trouble (IE take King Behemoth away from a NIN if their Utsusumi drops on the NIN and KB is hitting them).

That being said, with THF and DRK/THF you can generally keep hate on the tank whether or not they are NIN or PLD. It's just that I find PLD to be more effective when you aren't kiting something. Though, as an arguement for NIN tanks, taking down Fafnir with 9 people (three of which being WAR/NIN or NIN for tanks) is not unheard of.