BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Dynamis in the near future: X

It seems that this morning my computer was infected with some sort of virus. I had to reformat the hard-drive, and reinstall all of my software. Sadly, this has not been a problem-free experience; my internet connection is almost non-existent thusly my ability to download FFXI updates and play the game in the near future is under question. I am going to talk to even more computer support people tomorrow in an effort to resolve the problems, but I doubt that I will be able to attend Dynamis tomorrow, and Wednesday is still up in the air.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Did you flatten your drive? or just a standard Format?

Lujan

Power down all devices giving you a connection for at least 30 seconds, and if you're using a router, reset it to factory defaults. Plug them back in, and pray.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Lujan- Standard reformat.

Genosync- I shutdown and waited dozens of times yesterday, powered down completly last night, and have shut down and waited a few times today. My connection still sucks.

---

I think I may still have a virus, because my DSL is showing activity even when I have no active web brower open, and the networking tab on my Task Manager is showing constant-low level activity. Spybot- Search and Destroy is showing no spy ware. My shit connection will not allow my to download updates from Norton.

So it seems I am still pretty much screwed. If I ever got my hands on a virus writer, I would probably wind up breaking all of his/her finergers then arms and probably legs. I am a cranky camper right now.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

bring up a dos prompt and type "netstat" that will show you all the open connections on your machine...

If somehow you did still have a virus, you would have gotten it when you connected to the internet after your format.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Malign- netstat was interesting. Even with no active web browsers there was a lot of chatter going on, confirming that something was going on that shouldn't be.

Genosync- Yeah, I figured it was after I formatted. It was ok for a bit, and then everything went to hell in a hand basket.

---

I am going to have to reformat again tonight, I discovered a few viruses last night, and it is not worth trying to clean the system when there is so little on it. This has been an utter bitch; I will personally crush the femurs of any virus writer that I ever meet. I am wondering if it is even worth it to get a firewall installed.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Get WinXP SP2 on cd, and after your re-install of Windows install SP2 before connecting to the internet. That should fix 99% of the existing security flaws in Windows that allow you to get virus of the network/internet. Then try to connect and do the rest of Windows updates.

This is what we have to do at work because the viruses run rampant.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I have been trying to download SP2 here at work, burn it to a CD then install it at home, but of course McRosoft has to make everything into an uphill battle. As it stands, I will have to reformat my computer, install Norton firewall, then cross my fingers as I install SP2. If this doesn't work, I will have to buy a CD from those bastards and wait until I get it before I can do anything with my computer.

Have I mentioned broken bones or other forms of horrible physical violence against virus writers in this post yet?

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

I can get you a direct link to the full SP2 installer if you need it. PM me or something so I can give you the link (if it gets a lot of traffic work would be upset.)

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Good news everybody!

Monday I tried to refromat my harddrive, and I got an error message. After a few hours on the phone with Dell tech support, we determined that the reason I got those blue screens was because I had a faulty harddrive. I'm just happy to know that I didn't screw up an get a virus after all. I am DLing SP2 right now, I put Nortan Firewall on stringent settings for the DL, then I will start installing FFXI.

If all goes well, I will be able to come to Dynamis tonight...

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

gl

We hope to see you soon again Sept! Good to hear it wasn't a virus.