Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

New Steam Cleaner Pop Conditions

My LS has been unable to pop Steam Cleaner for about a month now. I've scoured the boards and, like everyone else, found the usual mixed messages. I saw that infamous screenshot where the GM said that the pop conditions have changed. Yet I'd also see posts on various boards where people claimed to have popped him. Who to believe? Screenshots can be faked, people can lie.

So after beginning yet another fruitless evening of attempting to pop Steam Cleaner last night, I paged a GM. When he appeared an hour later, the first thing I asked him was if Steam Cleaner was bugged. He said that it was not. Then I asked if it was true that the pop conditions have changed. He gave me some evasive responsive about how GMs are not allowed to give out game information. Then he referred me to the patch notes from December 9. After reading them carefully, I saw a note about how the spawn conditions of certain notorious monsters have changed.

So basically, now that I have the GM confirming (through his evasivness) that the pop conditions are different, as well as that patch note, as well as my own (and other's) inability to pop Steam Cleaner, I'm pretty much certain that it does have a new way to pop it.

My question is, has anyone found it?

In my mind, the most obvious new placeholder would be Dustbusters, so my LS is gonna try those for awhile. But really it could be anything. Sky doesn't have that many different kinds of mobs, but as we've seen with Despot, it may be some very specific mobs from a specific location. So I'd appreciate if anyone can share any info they have on the new SC conditions.

Nicholas - Gilgamesh

It definately still pops from Detectors, because we've popped it since the last patch this way.

Possible Changes:

-Increased lottery from 3-6 hours to 21-24 hours.
    -Only spawns from one specific detector, so required to check all 4 areas
    -Changed the number of times a Detector must summon before SC can appear

But I can verify that it's not a PH pop of Dustbusters or anything like that. It's still summoned from Detectors in the basement.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aratharn Xiv
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Probably just bugged again like it was awhile back.

Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

-Increased lottery from 3-6 hours to 21-24 hours.
    This would be the most retarded condition in the world in a region where all the pop NMs are 3-6 hours, and if it were true a lot of people would be pissed.

-Only spawns from one specific detector, so required to check all 4 areas
    Maybe.

-Changed the number of times a Detector must summon before SC can appear
    Maybe.

To be honest, I don't understand why they would change it unless there was some reason to. The only reason I can think of is the fact that you could screw people over and make SC unpoppable for another 3-6 hours. Besides that, I fail to see the point of changing it to something obscure and then not even giving any clues about it.

Tracian

my LS has popped steam cleaner and how we popped him was let
    the same detector summon the caretake 3-4 times and about the 3rd or
    4th time he popped. even if the detectors are asleep they will still
    summon the caretaker btw

So basically Steam Cleaner was never changed and people are either having extremely bad luck, or their server is somehow bugged.

Seraph has been spawning fine, from the same old detectors, using the same old methods.

Our server is bugged. I'm sure other servers are bugged, too.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aratharn Xiv
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Avvesione
    Our server is bugged. I'm sure other servers are bugged, too.
    So is Midgardsormr.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I love it how this bug is being ignored just because SE is lazy and probably won't do anything about it until the server maintenance sometime this Feb.

or maybe it's being ignored because people talk about it on forums but nobody actually reports it to SE using the online / POL form for reporting suggestions?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Think about what you just said. There are thousands of people on each server, many of which are bugged just as Bahamut seems to be. To tell me that none of these people on these servers have at least ~tried~ to report it to SE is just insane. Besides, I have tried. exdee

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I've reported it on 3 or 4 different occassions. Then it starts to work for awhile then wont pop again. This is over the past 5-6 months though.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Same thing is going on with Siren server. I know one NA LS has popped SC since the last patch, but my LS and others have been having problems.

Since some people aren't having troubles, while others can camp for hours and not get anything, I have a feeling they just changed the number of spawns from the Detector that have the probability of being SC. Has anyone tried camping and allowing the Detectors to pop out 4 or 5 or 6 dolls before killing the Detector? The LSs that say they aren't having problems may have just been lucky enough to get the pops on the first 3, like it used to be, instead of 4+.

Another possibility is that the Detectors that SC summons from may also include more than just the ones in the basement. Perhaps others also have the chance of spawning SC, but most of us just kill those off to get to the basement ones. And if you kill the one that SC is just "waiting" to pop from, you'll have to wait another 3-6 hours for the pop time to be up again. And since it will still pop from the Detectors in the basement, some LSs aren't reporting problems because their SCs have been in the basement Detectors.

/shrug. Just my two cents.

I honestly don't see any reason for them to have changed it, either, which makes this "change"/"bug" rather odd.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

i just find it odd that nobody can get a straight answer. it seems to me if there was a bug, SE would let us know that they knew about it and they were planning on doing something about it. and if they had changed the spawn conditions, then it seems like they would have either told us what it was or someone would have figured it out by now.

Bismarck is bugged. The closest anyone has gotten to hearing about SC on Bis is a friend saying, "Yeah I think so-and-so popped them." But yeah, day-long camps from many LS's have revealed nothing. My guess is he gets fixed with next patch or emergency maintenance. Hopefully, anyway.