Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RNG?WHM???....     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

RNG?WHM???....

My JP LS expressed to me that they want me to go to Fafnir and Tiamat as a rng/whm. So I saked them what the benefits of that would be. Curaga, Stoneskin, MND+ was their answer. Now, I can see that for Fafnir and Tiamat Curaga helps because of their AoE's. The stoneskin however prolly wouldn't absorb more than 1 hit. Then they tell me that they want me to wear all MND+ gear as well because the dmg on my Holy Bolts would be greatly increased. Which seemed like an ok idea at first. Then I started thinking. Fafnir and Tiamat aren't exactly the easiest mobs to hit. Then take away your rng acc weapons and accesories and replace them with MND+. Basically cutting your ability to hit in half. So yea, you may do 60 points of additional Holy dmg. but if you're hitting half as much, how is that any better? Has anybody seen JP or anyone else using this method? Or maybe tried it yourself? I'm just wondering if maybe it's not as bad as it seems to me. RNG/NIN seemed to be working just fine in the past. But I'm always open to new stuff. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

sounds like a dumb idea, just get a smn in melee pt for curaga and stoneskinga. mnk/whm i can understand, but rng/whm

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Well yea that's the way we've been doing it before. Suddenly they just came out of nowhere with this. Sooo I don't know if it's something they wanna try out. Or maybe other JP's do it that way? I've never seen it. I've seen other jobs sub whm just for Curaga but never RNG.

saves main mages mp when you can stoneskin yourself and take care of yourself a little more

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coffee Time
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

For every HNM fight I have had the pleasure of going to, Melee 100% of the time sub WHM for Stoneskin/Blink/Curaga. This does many purposes, but the main purpose is to have Stoneskin and save mages the MP for curaga. Yeah the +MND boost is pretty crappy if you are looking for that extra DMG, but its mainly used to relieve the MP stress on mages. Other choices are definete no-nos.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

I understand that subbing whm will relieve minor stress from the mages. Although I've killed him a million times with every rng subbing nin. What really strikes me as not such a smart idea, is using all MND+ gear. That's a huuuuuge cut on your acc. Being able to cast stoneskin and curaga once is great I'm sure. Don't you think actually doing dmg to the mob and killing it fast takes stress of mages too? However like I said, I've never actually tried to fight Fafnir or Tiamat gimped like that. So as soon as I do I'll give a heads up on how well it works. Or how terrible it was

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Oh also, are you sure it was *every* HNM fight. On my server melee only sub whm for Fafnir or Tiamat because of their constant AoE's. Other than that it seems totally unnecessary. Considering the amount of hate generated by RNG's, and the fact that Stoneskin would only last one hit, I would think that Utsusemi is a much better option. I couldn't possibly tell you how many times it's the only reason I've survived. Also the obvious reason of /nin allows more rng acc and gives a higher base agility. Ok Ok I'm done ^^;

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

if you are going to be out side the alliance you'll have no choose but to go as RNG/WHM... most HNM fights you want your SMN to not be earth wardening out side alliance melee... rather inside the allaince helping out.

Yes all melee should at one point get whm

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coffee Time
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Ok, since the topic was loosly aimed at the Dragon HNMs, thats where my line of comments came from. If you want to talk about the other HNMs, no, melee sub w/e that normally do, usually NIN.

i don't think they expect you to take off all your rng acc gear. i'm sure you can keep the rings, but stuff like suzaku sune-ate will increase ur holy bolt added effect and since tiamat is pretty resistant to ranged attack it would help. just try to find a balance between acc and mnd. bring two sets of gear.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Well I went to Fafnir last night as 75rng/37whm. But we didnt get the claim so I didnt have a chance to try it out. Im positive that they wanted me to substitute all my acc gear with mnd gear because I asked specifically. But there's no way I'm replacing ALL my acc gear with mnd. It'll just have to be a compromise LoL. Anyways, as soon as I get the chance to try it I'll post the results.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I guess the question is how much accuracy gear can you skip if you use squid sushi? (Or squid sushi+1 if you are going to be fancy.)

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Squid Sushi + a BRD (assuming I can bribe them to actually put one in my PT) and I'll prolly be ok I'll just throw my Vermy cloak on and fwap at his knee caps with my Light Staff yelling {Ranger}{Refresh}{Please check it.}

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Diogi
    Squid Sushi + a BRD (assuming I can bribe them to actually put one in my PT) and I'll prolly be ok I'll just throw my Vermy cloak on and fwap at his knee caps with my Light Staff yelling {Ranger}{Refresh}{Please check it.}
    If they are going to force you to sub WHM, they should at least provide you a BRD to get preludes to ensure that you can actually hit the damn thing so that the added effect of all of that extra MND on holy bolt damage does not go to waste.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Technically they aren't 'forcing' me. But if my LS leader asks me to do something I usually try to humour him. That being said. God damn right they better give me a BRD! LoL Ok, now I'm just acting on lack of sleep.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Ok so since my last post I have killed Fafnir once and Nidhogg twice. The first fight was against Niddy and I used Whm for a sub. I can't express how much more efficient this is over the usual NiN sub. Instead of AoE doing 400+ dmg it was reduced to about 250. And since there was a brd in my PT I could just cure myself rather then mages using all their MP on me. The holy dmg from my bolts sometimes got as high as 65 dmg. Using my regular equip gave me +32 mnd. Also another added bonus to having /whm is being able to cast blindna on yourself after the AoE's cause any melee (esp Rng) who's fought Niddy or FF knows this is totally annoying. So I got to thinking. 250 dmg every time he AoE's is still a good bit of HP down. Then I had the idea to sub Rdm and try out Stoneskin + Phalanx. With these 2 spells stacked, Fafnir and Niddy AoE's were a steady 105-115 dmg. That's a considerable amount of reduction. One of my Whm's actually thanked me for making his life easier LoL. As far as any accuracy issues I thought I might have. Squid Sushi took care of that no problem. Not that it really matters but I would suggest in the future that all melee use /whm or /rdm on these fights in the future. I have to go apologize to some LS mates for bitching about it now hehehe.

Sylm

Hurricane Wing /NIN = 200-350 dmg taken
    Hurricane Wing /WHM (Stoneskin,Blink,Curaga/Curaga2/Divine Seal)= 50-100 dmg taken

That's it.

Sylm, RNG/WHM on Wyrms ;p

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Glad to hear that it worked out. Any cook will tell you that sole sushi is melee crack; I get all kinds of requests for it. (Yay for leveling a skill and making money.)

But about RDM sub. I am not certain that Phalanx will help with something like Hurricane Wing. Phalanx works by negating a set amount of damage that you receive. At higher levels, a RDM will block about 40 damage off of every hit when using Phalanx because of our high enhancing skill, using RDM as a sub will give you a half-level enhancing skill and therefore half-leveled protection. (Also, unlike stoneskin, MND is not a factor in Phalanx, only enhancing skill.)

My point is that spending the time to level RDM and an ungodly amount of money on Phalanx may not get the result that you desire.