+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Relic Shield
    BG Level

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHH

i was just on hold with dell tech support for like an hour and a half

and 2 minutes after they finally take my call, they determine they can't assist me

so i decided to make a post with a really long title with no breaks to see if it would mess up the site for people with small resolutions. fuck you people with small resolutions.

Lol.

That's too bad.

Dell sucks.

I like posting like this.

It's fun.

You should try it.

Now.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Ok.

I'll try it.

Just for now.

But I don't think I like it.

It's reminding me of Captain Kirk.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

what was the problem ? ;-o

Quote Originally Posted by Aemi
    what was the problem ? ;-o
    He hates people with small resolutions. Oh, and Dell.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

reinstalled windows on a dell, it's completely unable to detect or install drivers for the onboard network card or video card

device manager has "ethernet controller" in the "other devices" group with a yellow question mark and error code 28 (the drivers for this device are not installed). if i try to let windows automatically install drivers, it says "The wizard could not find the software on your computer for... Ethernet controller"

if i remove the device and try to manually add a new one, i'm given 3 options for network adapters, the only one that makes any difference is the microsoft loopback adapter, that one makes a connection appear in the network connections but it says limited or no connectivity, if i right click and hit repair it says "Renewing your IP address" for like 2 minutes and then says it failed to renew the IP and that's it

Relic Shield
    BG Level

oh and out of all the disks that came with the computer none of them have drivers. just the windows reinstall disk, then like encarta and microsoft money and shit on other disks

Quote Originally Posted by joft
    reinstalled windows on a dell, it's completely unable to detect or install drivers for the onboard network card or video card

device manager has "ethernet controller" in the "other devices" group with a yellow question mark and error code 28 (the drivers for this device are not installed). if i try to let windows automatically install drivers, it says "The wizard could not find the software on your computer for... Ethernet controller"

if i remove the device and try to manually add a new one, i'm given 3 options for network adapters, the only one that makes any difference is the microsoft loopback adapter, that one makes a connection appear in the network connections but it says limited or no connectivity, if i right click and hit repair it says "Renewing your IP address" for like 2 minutes and then says it failed to renew the IP and that's it
    It's like listening to STARTREK

Relic Shield
    BG Level

oh please

this is child's play. i mean seriously, it's windows. if i was writing my own driver for the card then maybe that would be star trek worthy technical banter

True, but i'm stupid when it comes to computers, so it's all trekky for me.

hmmm, interesting, but I guess that's what you get from Hell(sp?) and Microsucks.

I would try checking the BIOS, make sure that there's nothing screwy with the settings. It seems to me that the OS recognizes that there is a card there, but that it can't access the card for some reason. I have the same kind of thing with my RAID controller and certain USB connections I don't use on my motherboard, they all have that error code that you have, but it's simply because I don't use them and they're not setup on the motherboard.

You said the network card was on board, so unless that part of the board is messed up for w/e reason, it's probably not a hardware related problem. Another thing you can do is go online from a different computer and download drivers from Dell's website (or the manufacturers website if Dell used something else), it seems like you shouldn't have to do this, but Dell is pretty messed up, so...

The only thing I can think of for the video card is whether or not it is the original video card for the computer, is it? If not, you might want to find and internet connection elsewhere and download the latest drivers. I don't know why it would be a hardware problem. Is there a possibility it is a hardware problem?

These are just a few things I could think of off the top of my head that I would probably go about looking into if I had a problem like this.

Maybe if you find out more about the problem, or find anything else, I can try and help you fix it, but that's all I have atm.

Good luck!

p.s low resolutions do SUCK.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

well, before i reinstalled windows everything was working fine. so i don't think it has to do with the BIOS. i used the same CD to reinstall windows that had been used on the previous installation too

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

DELL LOLOLOL

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Psst... don't buy Dell.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

it's not my computer, god, it's someone elses

i have a dell laptop though and it works perfectly fine. except for that one time it EXPLODED (i'm not kidding)

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

<3 koft

i'm sure the feelings aren't mutual

Relic Shield
    BG Level

sorry i'm only capable of loving fictitious characters like Lion (or currently Starbuck from the new battlestar galactica)

it's a trait I got from being raised a christian LOLOLMAOMFD!

Quote Originally Posted by joft
    i'm only capable of loving fictitious characters
    On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being "meh" and 10 being "I can't live w/o" where would you rate Mithras Joft?

Relic Shield
    BG Level

maybe 5-6

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coffee Time
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

I do tech support for networking stuff (Not Dell, so I can't help you there), but since the NIC and Video are onboard, the drivers should be with the recovery disk that came with the computer. This is what I do for card that have these issues:

Remove the card from Device Manager. DO NOT!!!!!! reboot the computer.

Go into My Computer, and set the folder option to view all files (Under Hidden and System files). Next, go into the Windows directory and search for a fodler called INF. Inside there should be a drvdata.bin or a drvidx.bin.

Sometimes Windows has them, sometimes it doesnt. As the name suggests, its a file that contains all the driver info for things installed. With WinXP, its spelled out fully (drvindex.inf) because the 8.3 rule doesnt really apply. Anyways, delete that file and reboot.

When Windows boots up, it should detect the NIC and install the proper drivers. If that doesnt work, go to Dell's support section under downloads (linkprovided below), and search for your model of PC. They should have the drivers there somewhere. Best of luck. And BTW, Dell sucks balls. Always build a computer yourself. Gets you much better results.

Dell's Support downloads: http://support.dell.com/support/down...=19&l=en&s=dhs