Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fafnir is hard ><     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Fafnir is hard ><

So yeah, 4th wipe on this guy today. I seriously getting really pissed about people not listening, but anyway, lets move on to my question:

Is there a basic strategy for this guy? We've tried with everything from having only ninjas to tank to PLD. Should we even bring melees to Fafnir? I remember seeing a pic on this forum, by someone from BG who obviously made it for fun, but it was really good and informative. I think it was Yin who drawed it, not sure. Been looking all over the forums for this picture, but i cant seem to find it. Anyone got the link?

Big thanks from Asura~ if you reply in this thread =).

A. dont kite.

B. dont attack from behind

Xavier

C. Always have 1 pld spam cure IV behind fafnir, then switch to invincible and start running. You'll like the results.

D. Astral Flow IMMEDIATELY

E. Zone Fafnir is he is too hard. Don't worry, it's not MPK if no one dies.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

F. Go to Zimbabwe, acquire Ebola and AIDS

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/ ... 334130.bmp (eh, not sure if the link works, having a hell of a time posting photos.)

So yeah, my LS uses 2xPLD, 2xWHM/SMN, RDM, and BRD for the tank party. Tanks on the Grey Spot, Mages/DD on the Blue spot and no one anywhere else. Have both WHM/SMN spam Aeriel Armor and have the PLD shift hate as shadows wear off. (think pre-37 dual NIN tank PTs)When he wings don't panic and have anyone and everyone who can Curaga do so, so that hate dosen't go all over the place. He also seems really suspectable to Thunder spells from my experiance. Keep your calm, don't get Darters and you'll win.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

pretty much what vadrocant said, although when i am whm in tank pt i like to stand on the grey dot because garuda doesn't get killed by dragon breath there. melees should make light or fragmentation skillchains so the blm can burst thunder iv, which in addition to being blm strongest spell, there is often thunder weather in aery boosting the damage even more. it helps to have a smn in melee party for earthen ward but regular fafnir is quite doable without it. set up a sleep order to elemental seal sleep him when mp is low or someone dies. one ls that just started camping fafnir on my server, had a thf tricking on each pld every 60 seconds or w/e trick attack timer is. don't bother with that, plds can gain hate fine without it, and it risks giving fafnir too much tp (the ls wiped at 10% hp). have mages and rangers log out for a few minutes if they get aggro, this resets their hate.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

i think most people know how to stand when fighting fafnir, or at least in some version (45 degrees off his legs, with tanks right on his toes) so you don't get hit with breath or spike flail. this reduces the main threat to hurricane wing pretty much. have someone in each party that can curaga/curaga2 is absolutely necessary, and having a smn with earthen ward makes this fight much easier.

tank party is pretty much what the people above said: pldx2 whmx2 rdmx1 brdx1 and u will always have enough MP. Fafnir doesn't hit very hard in comparison to the Gods, so an outside healing party is not necessary. he double attacks like a bitch, and uses hurricane wing making it hard for nins or war/nins to tank.

landing slow/paralyze on it, or having a hrotti (which, what do ya know, drops off the mob u need it for) will make it easier as well.

when Fafnir gets down to about 20% HP, he starts using his abilities much more (i think he gains TP faster or something) so around then ppl often times have the melee's disengage and just water3 or thunder3 it to death.

having a sleep order is often necessary. especially for beginners at this fight, u will need to sleep it a few times while u fight to regain MP/raise fallen alliance members. that being said, remember to make sure nobody cast's any DoT spells, or -aga spells while fighting Fafnir.

my LS has fought Fafnir about 7 times, and we have won twice, so if anyone see's anything wrong with my strategy, i'm still willing to learn about it myself ^^

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

the tank pt, like others suggested is a good setup. If your brd can sub smn and get some zenith, astrals, whatever, its even better since that brd is just casting 2xballads anyway. We often do distortion or darkness on fafnir because its really weak to water spells. Slow and paralyze are awesome too. Really, there isnt much to it except it occassionally will spam the hell outta Hurricane Wing. As a whm, I dont use curaga ever if Im in the tank pt. But yah, its really just an annoying fight rather than hard.

weee I finally got to tank fafnir yesterday as a war/nin twas fun ^^

We like dual-blink tanks. Save mucho MP.

well I tanked it like a pld kinda, switched out full AF for voke and warcry, and then went back into genbu/kirin/byakko/suzaku armor and AF2 hands
    didnt wear rings cause I forgot to bring something other than snipers, used utsu when I could etc ^^ but still had 2 whm/smn's I had a real fun time

Xavier

Did you win tanking it as war/nin, sounds like a pretty cool experience.

It was actually fairly easy. I took about the same dmg as a pld, 230 average I think, kept defender up, and had +35ish VIT from what I can remember, and loads of HP. did the whole dual blink thing. I had to keep an eye out though, I'd keep utsu up like I was blink tanking fafnir, switching out utsu Ni and Itchi, but when I knew I was gonna run out of shadows I'd cancel utsu as soon as I saw garuda get ready to do blinkga. Prolly the only hard part was taking the hate from the pld

lastly have me evade spike flail and kill it in return

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

iv seen a LS kill fafnir with 6 ppl. my LS came late after maint and saw them fighting it from full HP to zero, i was impressed . . .
    PLD/NIN X2,BRD,RDM,BLM,MNK
    they had no AA, PLDs just blink tanking it lol.

man that would take awhile with just mnk and blm dmg XD

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

took them about 1:40 hours to kill lol. but that impressed me. i mean yeah with 6ppl can hold fafnir forever, but kill him and survive massive HWs ? thats hard to do. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...4-48-35-99.jpg

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast