Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Red Mage vs Maat     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Red Mage vs Maat

first off congratulations on defeatn Tiamat BG and good video. Was wondering for all the RDM's in BG, how high was ur INT up before going in and fighting Maat. If you have any advice on defeating him and or giving me any type of good equipment i should buy/foods etc before going in, would be helpful.

Thanks

Relic Shield
    BG Level

download cheat codes off the internet

im on PS2

The Veriest Berriest
    Pretty Pretty Princess

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I didn't really have a lot of INT equipment but I did have HQ wind staff, other than that one way you can somewhat cheat is buy using a hermes quencher. Also for food use a melon pie + 1. When you first go in you need to dispel him but he has blink on. Try nuking with first tier spells, like stone, aero, water. After you get past those start dispelling so you can get rid of stoneskin and shell. If at any point he starts smacking you around just pop the hermes quencher and run away. Once shell is gone start nuking him with Aero III. Sleep him when you need to convert or get into a little trouble and just keep nuking. I think I used chainspell right before convert, then put buffs up again and nuked. Bring a vile elixir in case you run out of mana. With the hermes quencher which is what I think helped me the most, I beat him first try.

Good Luck ^.~*

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I would recommend having at least 5 elemental staves for the battle: Ice, Wind, Dark, Light, and Earth. (Those are in descending importance.) Enfeebling torque is a huge plus; saying that it is mandatory would not be a stretch. Elemental torque and moldovite earring would help, but I had neither and made it though just fine. (I camped Mysticmaker Bastardblix for weeks, he is hard to claim.) I took two stacks of mulsems, vile elixir, vile elixir +1, echo drops, 3 hi-ethers, and rolanberry pie as my consumables. (I took no chances, and you can sell back what you don't use.)

I set up a special macro set for this fight, all of my buffs and healing macros were on the ALT keys, debuffs and nukes and CTRL. Every spell had the corresponding staff attached to it, also, I equiped earth staff on my vile elixir and vile elixir +1 macros for the damage reduction bonus.

Before I entered the BC, I switched to my MP gear, ate the pie, and rested to full. When I entered, I ran up to the circle so I could watch him buff and used stoneskin and blink. Both times I fought him I was lucky and he did not use blink, so I was able to sleep him on the first try. (I used sleep, then sleep II in case he resisted.) When he was napping, I buffed myself fully (protect IV, shell IV, phalanx, shock spikes, haste, refresh), then used a few mulsems to regain MP. He woke up about then, so I re-slept him, then started to debuff him, dispel until he was out of buffs, then paralyze, slow, blind, gravity, and bind. Once I was ready, I woke him with an Aero III, and then slept him again. I silenced him, activated chainspell, and went to town. I used the vile, I am not sure if the vile +1 was used, but I re-slept him before I Converted. I won before my chainspell timer was finished.

I fought him two times, the first time I lost because I panicked and didn't sleep him when my vile elixir macro didn't work. Panic is the biggest obstacle to winning this fight, thinking calmly and rationally will go a long way to winning. One of the tings you can do to practice is to fight Ruby Quadovs in the Qulun Dome, they will be even match or tough, so they make a great trial run for your macros and strategies.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

It may not be very practical to include debuffing him very much in your strategy. I'm not saying it won't work, just don't depend on it. In all the times I did this I never once landed gravity successfully. I'd say slow would be useful if you can land that.

Another risky thing about the way Sept did it was the amount of time consumed self-buffing. If you can't pull it off like he did, you might take too much time and get asuran fisted. In case you don't know, there is a timer in this fight where if you don't kill him in about 6-7 minutes he just starts spamming asuran fists repeatedly, nonstop.

I recommend only using blink, and stoneskin, and phalanx (phalanx maybe once before you activate chainspell). After you sleep and dispel him (and any other debuffs you feel safe using the MP and time for), I recommend 2 or 3 AeroIII -> Sleep cycles, use elixir/mulsum to get almost full MP and then use chainspell. Have blink and stoneskin macro'd, and pay attention to recasting them in between your ensuing AeroIII spammage.

Do it on Windsday. Don't forget echo drops. If you have decent MP and MP medicines I highly recommend using a defense food instead of a pie.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Oh yeah, this is speculation, but from my experience he's also a lot more resistant to sleep after that 6 or so minutes is up. So basically he wakes, resists your sleep (maybe twice), runs over and does 2 or 3 asuran fists in about 5 seconds. There's no way to stop it, you must make him give up before 6 minutes is over.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I did not feel uncomfortable with the buffs or debuffs because it is all a matter of getting though chainspell. Even with moderately good gear (and I mean NQ elemental staves), you should be able to kill Maat before chainspell wears off if you get a few nukes in before you start.

I only had one debuff resisted (Sleep I), and I credit that to Elemental Staves.

90ANG/45MEX IMO
    BG Level

Here's my winning play.
    Went on earthsday, Ate Melon Pie +1 before entering.
    My equips were Mythic wand, Astral Aspis, Marine Hume Gloves, Ocean Stone, Phantom Tathlum, Phantom Earring, Moldavite, Enfeebling Torque and the rest were just AFs.
    Went in and immediately ran winthin casting range and casted Sleep II + Sleep before he could try and buff.
    I casted Dispel 3 times until I saw Shell was dispelled, he woke and I casted Sleep 2, rested till my mp was above 400 and immediately triggered Chainspell, Aero 3 x3, Sleep 2, Vile Elixer +1, Vile Elixer, Aero 3 x 4 (end).

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

No convert Blazer?

nice... thanks a lot for all the info everyone, hopefully i can beat em first time around.. but is it really necessary to buy all those staffs? i was only gonna buy a wind staff, i have a dark staff already as well. Also if anyone can give me macro examples for changn staffs in between casting would be helpfull.

Thanks

Relic Shield
    BG Level

/equip main "Wind Staff"
    /ma "Aero III"

/equip main "Earth Staff"
    /item "Vile Elixir+1" <me>

/equip main "Dark Staff"
    /ma Sleep

/equip main "Dark Staff"
    /ma "Sleep II"

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I put staff swaps after the casts, but really it doesn't matter.

/recast "Sleep II"
    /ma "Sleep II" <stnpc>
    /equip main "Dark Staff"
    /equip neck "Enfeebling Torque"
    /equip ear1 "Enfeebling Earring" <- Only if your name is "Blazer" and you have nothing better to spend your gil on.

90ANG/45MEX IMO
    BG Level

>.>; I still need Braconi then I'll be happy somewhat I think.

wut u guys think of waitn to fight Maat till im lvl 72? I was thinkn to wait till that lvl and i was gonna buy the Errant Houppelande body armor for the int+10 boost.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lito Rex
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

uhhh... cant level up to 72 without beating him

wtf... for limit 2 i lvled up to i think it was 57 then i decided to do limit 2 quest

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Ribaud
    wtf... for limit 2 i lvled up to i think it was 57 then i decided to do limit 2 quest
    LOL.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

lol, you realize Maat is the genkai5 fight right? You need to beat him to get past 70, thus meaning you can't wear the errant.

Babyorphan

http://nan.opeth.net/viewtopic.php?t=18

Fear my Spirit torque back then ._.
    I think I had borrowed my Enfeebling torque to a friend -.-
    But at any rate.. gawd I was gimp