Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura
    What you said is true, but tables turned, what if it happened to you? Wouldn't you want YOUR money, YOUR time back? I sure as hell would, and I would return the item if I ever stumbled across an item like that - why? Because sometimes, just SOMETIMES your reputation is a little more important then gil.
    Honestly, if I made a mistake like this, I would probably slap myself and bang my head up against the wall a few times, then pay the LS back out of my owe coffers for the difference for my error. As for my example, I would purchase the item out of the bazaar for whatever price listed assuming the seller was in a clear state of mind when posting it.

Mistakes do happen, shit will hit the fan, but are you going to be such an asshole, such a lowlife that you'd want to void someone's enjoyment and time because of your greed and selfishness, everyone deserves a chance, everyone deserves some reasoning~ going around doing shit like this is showing what kind of person you are in real life, the type of person who gets kicks from other people's misfortune and mistakes, they are leechers, the lowest kind of man.
    Those are some really powerful words there. Greed and selfishness are diseases of society that erodes at the foundation of morality. Unfortunately, business is business. See above for what I would do if it was I that screwed up.

Granted, this is just a game, not real life. Reputation is definitely more important than gil (sometimes), but from what I see, since he's done this more than once, his reputation is already tarnished. There is nothing for him to do that will change that. He will be forever scrutinized for his actions, regardless of something small or big. You've all done well for letting this happen. Now he definitely will never give anything back even if it ever happens again.

Your sense of "business ethics" leads me to believe you're either a corporate lobbyist or going to school to become one
    LoL. Actually I have a degree in Financial Investments and Global Economics. Good call. :D

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Dethsbane
    Quote Originally Posted by joft
    Their LS put hundreds of man hours into camping pop items during times with 10 other JP LSes competing for the NMs, killing the gods, killing kirin, and because someone who probably hadn't slept in 3 days made a mistake... they deserve it?
    First off, if you haven't slept in 3 days, why are you be rushing to sell something? I hate to say it but I still stand by the fact that the AH system was corrected to prevent mistakes. Undoubtly their LS spent tens of hours (hundreds is rather exaggerated don't you think?) and I totally sympathize with them for their loss, but an error is an error. However, let me throw something out to you. Let's turn the table around a bit. Let's say for example purposes that you're trying to sell an item for 100,000 and someone buys it for 1,000,000. An extra zero and 900,000 in profit for you. Would YOU return the excess and how much of it?

Or if you happened upon someone who posted their item in their bazaar for less, would you not buy it and instead /tell them of their error? Reality check please.
    I'm sorry to intrude, but I'm not on your server and sorry to hear of this infractionment. Things like this happen on every server and things do get resolved (sometimes).

Now due to the fact that I have over paid for some ninja tools ... sent /tell to the saler and the saler was nice enough to send my difference back to my MH since I was in a rush. People have over paid me and I made contact with them and sent them their difference back to them. It's all about ethics and spirit of the game.

Communication with JPN on my server is getting a little bit better and I'm pretty sure it is on everyone else server. Now you have someone think'in of themself and themself only messing up what peoples have been work'in on for a year+ ... how do you feel about that? Ok I'm going to go back to my hole and wait for the server to come back up.

Again my condolences to the person who lost their noble for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilmage_Seraph
    Now you have someone think'in of themself and themself only messing up what peoples have been work'in on for a year+ ... how do you feel about that?
    Yes, that was clarified in a previous post that this person was deemed "greedy and selfish."

I applaud you and the many others that return overpaid gil. If only many more people were like you. However, people are not and this is where the arguement has stemmed from.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aratharn Xiv
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Everyone knows right from wrong, some people choose to do the right thing, some people choose to do the greedy thing. It's unfortunate this person choose the greedy way out. But like was said... he couldn't have bought it for 1.4m if someone didn't put it up for 1.4m in the first place... hopefully this will be a wake-up call to be a bit more careful when puttin up for auction. And from the stories you people tell about the person that mis-sold the NT, doesn't sound like they will miss the money *THAT* much. Still no excuse.

I've been on both ends of this, once bought a Spider Web for 600k instead of Siren's Hair, talked to the person (they were JP) usin the auto-translater and they basically told me they wouldn't give it back. Back when I was hunting for my Bloodbead Ring I sold a Pigeon Ruby for 500k to a JP player meaning to bid 50k and he was quite suprised and grateful when I traded him his money back.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

i got a stack of fire crystals for 1 gil once, the seller was longheart

While what you say is true Dethsbane, had you made the mistake you would just slap yourself and move on why not fight for it first? Would you not want your friends to try and stick up for you and just penalize you for a mistake?

Black Belt
    BG Level

Undoubtly their LS spent tens of hours (hundreds is rather exaggerated don't you think?)
    man hours = (hours spent) x (# of people)

man hours for getting a Shining Cloth from Kirin should definitely be hundreds of man hours, not tens.

Kirin - 2 hours @25 people = 50 man hours
    4 Gods - 3 hours @12 people = 36 man hours
    8 pop items - 3 hours @6 people = 18 man hours (you're godly if you can do this btw, this is probably 5x-10x more than what i have written)

104 man hours with very very generous estimates for 1 Kirin that isn't guaranteed to drop a Cloth.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

we arent debating that its alot of man hours put into it, people look to exploit games for their benefit, yes people bot the ah, yes people buy stuff at lower prices then what they are worth, its shitty to do, but yes it is done, and error was made putting up the nobles tunic, and they paid the price for it, and maybe next time they will be more careful next time, im not condoning what was done, but im saying most people would do the same thing.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

its fucked up he/she wont return it but whoever posted at 14million item for 1.4 is pretty fucking stupid. i always double check my big items to make sure they are on for normal price.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aratharn Xiv
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Desi
    hahaha

Anyways... wow people really making a huge deal out of this... if you're selling NT's in your LS you probably aren't really hurting for gil, I could see if it was the poor WHM who had been farming for months and finally had enough to get R3 and misbid on RR3 for 2m (true story on our server ;[) but here is a JP LS you guys talk all the time about how filthy rich they are, and they made a 13m gil mistake... yet you all are making a bigger deal of it then they probably are... LoL

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura
    While what you say is true Dethsbane, had you made the mistake you would just slap yourself and move on why not fight for it first? Would you not want your friends to try and stick up for you and just penalize you for a mistake?
    I would be too embarassed and shamed that I would just do what I said I'd do and get it past me.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Nobody's really making a big deal out of it, we're just having fun exercising our uncanny ability to be right about everything all of the time

Yes and thank you for helping me make my day go by quicker. I hate Mondays...

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aratharn Xiv
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

LoL werd

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Aratharn
    Quote Originally Posted by Desi
    hahaha

Anyways... wow people really making a huge deal out of this... if you're selling NT's in your LS you probably aren't really hurting for gil, I could see if it was the poor WHM who had been farming for months and finally had enough to get R3 and misbid on RR3 for 2m (true story on our server ;[) but here is a JP LS you guys talk all the time about how filthy rich they are, and they made a 13m gil mistake... yet you all are making a bigger deal of it then they probably are... LoL
    The ammount of money someone has doesn't have anything to do with this at all. If you had 100 million dollers in real life and someone stole 13 million from you would it be ok?

Aye, it's the only thing I hate.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

i find it absolutely disgusting when its implied ethics have no place in business.

whether its business or HNM hunting or RL... ethics and right or wrong still apply.

i see a lot of ppl trying to make each other look like hypocrites. you have to remember being a hypocrite doesnt make you wrong, it only makes you a hypocrite. the vailidty of your argument is unaffected.

imo, he was wrong to keep the money, and the ethically sound thing to do (which apply even in business) is return it.

Xavier

Even if its technically not illegal to profit off of someones mistake, at the end of the day you still have to be able to look yourself in the mirror and not hate yourself. Its very basic civility to return an item that was clearly mispriced. Nobody can force you to do it, but your reputation is free game to defame, so don't go crying when people start to send you tells calling you an asshole.

Vixie

I don't see how this is any of BG's business, the transaction was done between buyer and seller. For Berticus to butt in is just stupid, posting it on your frontpage and calling it "stealing" is pretty low-brow. It was not a theft, but a mistake. In this case, the buyer chose to not be very forgiving. What I want to know is, why are you fighting other people's (Worldx's) battles for them? Cheapens your linkshell's image to get involved in petty squabbles like this.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aratharn Xiv
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Vixie
    I don't see how this is any of BG's business, the transaction was done between buyer and seller. For Berticus to butt in is just stupid, posting it on your frontpage and calling it "stealing" is pretty low-brow. It was not a theft, but a mistake. In this case, the buyer chose to not be very forgiving. What I want to know is, why are you fighting other people's (Worldx's) battles for them? Cheapens your linkshell's image to get involved in petty squabbles like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aratharn
    you all are making a bigger deal of it then they probably are...

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast