BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Your opinions on rng/war     submit to reddit submit to twitter

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Your opinions on rng/war

I've always been a rng/war. I invested in as much r.acc as possible (no hawkers though). I'm level 40 now. I know endgame rng subs nin, but I'm doing really fine now and I outdamage other rangers in my party if I activate berserk (unless they sub war too and use bullets).

I have to watch out more than a rng/nin, but in most parties the tank keeps hate well. I really like a nin+thf based party because of SC with thief and utsu, which works great.

My question: at what level should I sub nin? Or should I go sub it now? Or never?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

well, rng/war isn't exactly BAD. It's more like....it's SUICIDE and you'd have to be CRAZY to keep it. Or conservative, either one. Twentytwo was rng/war all the way to 73 or 74 I think. Maybe even 75. You'd just have to be extra careful on how much you shoot I guess? Also, don't forget the r.acc you'd lose doing this along with the AGI. Oh well thats my opinion, I'm just a PLD what do I know

nope

dont do it, you'll die.

unless your skilled enough... and your pt doesnt want you to sc at the very start... ie heavy shot > sharkbite on ninja...

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Well, I dont know if Im "skilled enough". Cant say that about myself. Fact is, all of my parties have been working good or even great. And if there was a party not working, it wasn't my fault but it was (for instance) a ridiculous setup. I guess I have been lucky with skilled ninja's so far ^^.

About SCing at the beginning: well, piercing arrow is not strong enough to outdamage viper bite unless Im lucky/thief sucks. Piercin Arrow -> SATAVB is good damage, good hate for ninja, and MB. But if my WS would outdamage the thief's, that would be a problem.

/tell collage

I'm sorry I didnt mean to try and put you down.
    I was just saying... rng/war is like a blm with +hate gear on, instead of -.

what race are you? i'm taru... thats my reason...and um...
    your right maybe you did have more skilled players.

but in my experience.. i takes forever for tanks/theives to line up and get the hate back off of me.. especially if sneak or trick didnt go off due to lag or what have you.

A good indication of when you should start switching to a NIN sub is when you start dying before the tank can peel the mob off you. No ustu + Berserk = Ouch~. Space your shots and remember to click off Berserk if the mob turns and starts looking at you funny!

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aratharn Xiv
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

We use to have a RNG in our LS that would always go RNG/WAR up until he quit FFXI almost a year ago (was 69RNG) and he would do insane damage. Exping in Boyahda off Darters and got a link and he was like "Don't worry I'll handle that" and solo'd a Darter with WAR sub.

It's nice to have both as an option, though you'll probably want to go /NIN more if you like keeping your exp

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Heh thanks, and I guess when I reach 75 and want to join a HNMLS, I must sub nin? Or whm (looked at the "Join us" part).

And yeah, the "no worry, I'll handle that" is really a great feeling. I did that in CN once, because lizards linked (AoE from blm ><) and we we're still fighting the crawler. I finished it off while the blm ran away instead of casting escape ><.

you might want nin sub for things like simmy, roc, and hakutaku... if you ever want to try rng/war haku is a good fight to try it on tell me what you think about it then.

with any and all rng attack equipment and hellfire with silverbullets you do about 250-300 a shot worth of dmg to simmy.... ninja usually tank.....
    he hits for about 100 or so...

ill let you find out

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aratharn Xiv
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

If you're fighting stuff like Roc and Simurgh, don't drop down, keep your alliance on top and near the zone, go RNG/WAR and just go balls out and zone everytime you get hate :D

do you play rng or just pld?

Quote Originally Posted by Aratharn
    If you're fighting stuff like Roc and Simurgh, don't drop down, keep your alliance on top and near the zone, go RNG/WAR and just go balls out and zone everytime you get hate :D
    fight by zone, right by zone? what about tp loss? what about whm being able to keep up hate... people on quetz dont fight simmy in alliances...
    most just go for trios... or 6 people at MOST. striders = 15mil

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aratharn Xiv
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Re: do you play rng or just pld?

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmatas
    fight by zone, right by zone? what about tp loss? what about whm being able to keep up hate... people on quetz dont fight simmy in alliances...
    That's how we use to do it with 4 or 5 people. Just stay near zone so it's a faster fight, you don't have to have your damage dealers hold back. What about WHM what? They can zone too if they have to. Who cares about TP loss if you can kill it 25 minutes sooner.

I bow to mighty Quetz, us Midgard noobs need a full alliance for Sim.

Re: do you play rng or just pld?

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmatas
    That's how we use to do it with 4 or 5 people. Just stay near zone so it's a faster fight, you don't have to have your damage dealers hold back. What about WHM what? They can zone too if they have to. Who cares about TP loss if you can kill it 25 minutes sooner.

I bow to mighty Quetz, us Midgard noobs need a full alliance for Sim.
    heh i feel the sarcasim so i'm going to stop. JP's do it with three THF RDM and a bard... or thats just one of the combos ive seen done. our white mages cant heal if they arent in the zone, sometimes simmy does this sleep move that strips shadows... and when uts is not up.. ninja gets beat... the whm will need that mp for tank... thats just me being courteous. have a nice day ara.

Xavier

Random note, since you won't always be partying with thieves, ranger loses its ability to pull w/o nin sj, you'll just die too much pulling anything that didn't pop 5 feet away.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Twentytwo Obv
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie

pfft i never died as rng/war pulling i was awesome :D

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

You can pull as a rng/war the key is sipmly distance, but rng/nin can pull ALOT better, you wont always have a good distance between you and the mob. My opinion on rng/war is like a blm who nukes at start, just cause you have this much power doesn't mean it's always good, with rng/nin you can let out the most dmg you can and take the lest dmg, lvl74+ you wont even need a tank rng pt's can do so much dmg it's crazy but of coarse nin has to be subed, war is a good sub from 1-30, but when you get Barrage nin, is the best way to go, unless the situation calls for war.

when i pt with rng's and we have full tp we kill the mob in 10-30 seconds with no dmg to anybody whatsoever, but if the rng was subbing war he would be half dead from pull and probally die after his ws and waiting for me to SATA souleater spiningslash on nin and blm to finish it off with w/e spell he/she chooses. ('')

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Dying when pulling with a ranged weapon, is, IMO, stupid. I mean, your bow isn't a longbow for nothing, eh? And even crossbows have enough distance to be safe.

But I heard some monsters outrun you, like raptors. Are those monsters the only mobs to exp off at one moment?