Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: confused ranger     submit to reddit submit to twitter

confused ranger

i finally hit a 50rng... and i wanna be the best I can for PT. now... i'm debating whether to use bow+1... or musk. I'm a mithra with 2x hawkers/genin earring/emp pin/leap boots/noct (leg/armor/hands) +1/ryl knight belt +2/nomad mantle/and +1 accuracy rings. I hear that sidewinder does more dmg than slug shots... also should i use curry or sushi? please help me out!

slug dose more. But I think thats because gun/bullets do more damage but higher delay.... (I'm not a ranger so this could be wrong..)

Use gun if you RMT. Bow if you wanna save money. Since back in the old days all i had were attack food its so depressing to see rangers now using sushi and doing slugs at 100TP and never missing. I would say eat attack food once you get othinus at 67 or wait till 70 for last accuracy up trait and war beret/optical. Sushi is basically ranger in a can for accuracy for ANY job.

Also Slug Shot is modified based on agi only whereas Sidewinder has both STR and AGI. It doesn't really matter since if your using gun of course slug will do more than sidewinder. And if you use xbow of course sidewinder will do more than slug. Its mostly dependant on your weapons base damage+ammo

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

1little question...
    slug shot is affected by R accuracy or is better AGI? (i know is the same thing but for some things is better STR then attack.. etc etc etc) well?? c'mon... ANSWER ME!! ANSWER ME OR I'LL KILL YA! XDDD

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

AGI = more damage for any ranger WS
    R accu = Great chance of landing.
    R Attk = absolutely nada
    STR = will help, but not as much as AGI for WS, WS onry that is. STR will show up in normal attacks.

I read somewhere that STR is a factor in Marksmanship WS damage, not as much as AGI though, I think it's about 30%. Although for normal attacks AGI is all that counts.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

?

Question about what you said Ondori, RAtk = nada

is that refering to the fact that it doesnt do anything concerning WS dammage, or do you just find that boosting RAtk doesnt realy help much

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

Range ATTK normally increases your max damage.... if you had the damage range of 100-120 on a mob... you'd hit for 120 more with ranged attk... since some patches, some people say that it also raises the max or cap damage you can do as well... this maybe true, but in high numbers. 2-3 ranged attk isn't going to make much differnce in any case.

for WS dont even think about RNG attk, it doesn't do much. STR + AGI for bow, and straight AGI for xbow/gun on WSs.

I hate to go against Ondori, but as far as im concerned Agi has nothing to do with Dmg. Think of Ratk and Str being a curve on a damage graph. Ratk increaces the peak of the curve and Str shifts the whole curve up. When you shoot i think there are variables that are taken into account and that you land somewhere on the curve when you hit. That being said having more Agi may skew the variables toward the peak of the graph which could be considered as Agi causing Dmg.
    Bottom line is most great Rng do not miss, which is why we use Flame Ring instead of our Racc rings, Wyvern helm instead of our Optical, etc etc. If you want to get into this more ill be more than happy to compare notes and feild research numbers.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

What Ondori said was AGI affects WS damage, not Ranged Attack. I've tried adding STR to increase my Ranged Attack damage, but the difference was minimal.

Probably cause your an elvaan. When i wear osode my damage goes up by 10 a shot cause of mithras shit4str. hory bolts+mnd gear ftw.

lets do test to actually see whats up.

4str=2attack... if you were doin 88 and put on a flame ring... your doing 90 now..

and i do believe... rattack and str affect bow and gun marks...

i broke 3k dmg on a funnel bat in qufim... and do consistent 1k dmg with gun, str gear.

i have 41+ agi when lvl... when i do all acc and agi... i average 700 with othinus bow and darksteel bolts with yellow curry.
    275 markmanship as well. 277 soon ><

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Re: lets do test to actually see whats up.

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmatas
    funnel bat in qufim...
    eh? lol

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

funnel bats don't exist in qufim, and as far as i've seen, they only exist in garbage citadel.

str raises dmg potential, atk(includes rngatk for the moment) raises average dmg. meaning that on a normal dmg range of 100-120, +5 str could bump it up to 100-130. but adding in say +25 atk could change(the origional range) to 110-120.

rngs usually have alot of +rngatk gear, which is why their criticals don't realy jump out in dmg much. melee's criticals stand out more because most melee are hitting more twords the lower end of their dmg range(which is probably fairly wide compared to rng).

AGI affects ranged accuracy, and the mod for sidewinder/slugshot is ranged accuracy. therefor, more+agi will help the dmg when you use these ws.

being only a Lv20 rng myself, i do not know much about the other weapon skills. but i have asked several ranger friends about sidewinder.

Re: lets do test to actually see whats up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadler
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigmatas
    funnel bat in qufim...
    eh? lol
    lol i dont remember, i'm sorry i got screenies.
    SEEEKER not funnel sorry
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ugshot3187.jpg

When i do merit PTs on Weapons in Shrine with the 4 rng, brd, rdm setup my average slug with Xbow is 1650 and gun is 1950. Assuming all 3 major debuffs are on (Acid Bolt, Dia II, Choke) Xbow will average 1850 and gun 2150. I always outdamage any other Rng by at least 200 per WS and 50 on normal shots, and thats with me using Xbow and them using gun. Main weapons are fransisca & Ifrits Blade, O-bow for ranged, wyvern helm, jagd gorget(cried the day i sold my peacock charm) flame ring, behemoth ring, kirin osode, seiryu kote(never bothered getting crimson to compare dmg), Bushinonomi(sp) fenrirs earring, amemit+1, RK+2, AF2 legs and feet. Usually use yellow curry and ill bust out the red curry if i like the PT setup.
    Merit Points: +3 Str, -2 enmity, +12 marksmanship, +6 Archery

On a side note, there is a ratk ceiling. When a Brd does 2 hr for a Rng PT always have him to Minuet IV and Herculean Etude. Reason being is if he does Minuetx2 with 2 hr you will only gain about 200 dmg on WS over normal Minuetx2 because of the ratk ceiling. If you would like to refute/dispute that i suggest you test it out.

thnx.

Quote Originally Posted by Nacho
    When i do merit PTs on Weapons in Shrine with the 4 rng, brd, rdm setup my average slug with Xbow is 1650 and gun is 1950. Assuming all 3 major debuffs are on (Acid Bolt, Dia II, Choke) Xbow will average 1850 and gun 2150. I always outdamage any other Rng by at least 200 per WS and 50 on normal shots, and thats with me using Xbow and them using gun. Main weapons are fransisca & Ifrits Blade, O-bow for ranged, wyvern helm, jagd gorget(cried the day i sold my peacock charm) flame ring, behemoth ring, kirin osode, seiryu kote(never bothered getting crimson to compare dmg), Bushinonomi(sp) fenrirs earring, amemit+1, RK+2, AF2 legs and feet. Usually use yellow curry and ill bust out the red curry if i like the PT setup.
    Merit Points: +3 Str, -2 enmity, +12 marksmanship, +6 Archery

On a side note, there is a ratk ceiling. When a Brd does 2 hr for a Rng PT always have him to Minuet IV and Herculean Etude. Reason being is if he does Minuetx2 with 2 hr you will only gain about 200 dmg on WS over normal Minuetx2 because of the ratk ceiling. If you would like to refute/dispute that i suggest you test it out.
    screenshot please.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

If you want a SS try it out yourself, but Nachos right I've pt'ed with him and have stacked up on STR gear because of him...I noticed a pretty nice difference with 2 flame rings, bush earring and wyvern helm over agi earrings. I think STR has the big factor in Marksmanship, I noticed my overall damage before Seiryus kote really didn't change when I got the extra 15 agi, just that I hit more. STR > AGI for WS's

i want a screenshot of his gear? you misunderstood me...