+ Reply to Thread
    Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Technical Difficulties Due to Third-Party Attacks.

Technical Difficulties Due to Third-Party Attacks

This is an announcement about PlayOnline network technical difficulties since Apr. 9, 2005.

It has come to our attention that recent technical difficulties with our PlayOnline server are due to a DDoS from anonymous third parties. We have determined that this activity was undertaken with malicious intent and specifically targeted our network. Our technicians are taking every measure possible to prevent further attacks. However, attack methods have varied, which has caused a more time-consuming review of our network protection.

Currently we are unable to determine the precise source of attack. However, with the cooperation of ISP companies, our investigation continues to make progress. Law enforcement authorities in Japan, the United States, and Europe have been contacted for support.

We chose not to make an announcement of this nature earlier due to the unwanted effect it could have on our investigation, on the investigations of authorities abroad, and for stopping information that could be used to undertake additional network attacks. The most recent server difficulties and PlayOnline service interruption, however, have persuaded us to disclose more information on this matter to our users.

We deeply apologize for the inconvenience these attacks have caused in recent days. Attacks continue at this hour in intervals and we regret that our investigation cannot allow for estimates as to when we expect service to return to optimal levels. Our technicians will continue to select the most effective measures available as we work with local and international authorities to take legal action against those obstructing PlayOnline service. We ask for your understanding and cooperation as we strive to maintain the best service possible. Thank you.
    I wonder who has been attacking and why... Very interesting though.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

Re: Technical Difficulties Due to Third-Party Attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroM
    I wonder who has been attacking.
    Razz

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroM
    and why...
    He lives in Watford.

E. Body
    BG Level

That is 100% fact.

Sorry it is our LS's fault this time. We got a King HNM in NA time.

So JPs needed a Maintenance when none of us were awake.

Sorry ; ;

Quote Originally Posted by Serif
    Sorry it is our LS's fault this time. We got a King HNM in NA time.

So JPs needed a Maintenance when none of us were awake.

Sorry ; ;

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I live in Watford also il hunt you down and kill you Mitzki.

From what I've heard, and this is only rumor/speculation, that some Chinese Hackers have been doing shit like this to the JPN servers. Sources being two JP party members I was with tonight that spoke English (to an extent that was reasonably understandable anyway).

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Yup. There is speculation that it has soemthing to do with Japan getting a seat on the UN Security Council. This is something China has recently had major protests against. Japanese businesses have been attacked, etc. Why? Turf.

Sol

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Who is lame enuff to hit there server with over 1000 machines at not even 1 second diff? Some real fags out there.....

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

If it is a Chinese hack attack I would find that odd, since 73% of the Chinese economy is from Gil selling on FFXI...

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Japan got a seat on the Security Council? O.o?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Theyre discussing it i think. them and a few other countries might get a seat

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Of course its being disscused but it's just not very likely for a couple of reasons, but someone said that they were approved on the council and I'd like to see some proof. :x