Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level

Returning Player, Help Please

The last time I played this game was about a month prior to the release of Chains. I had taken class up to 70+ (NIN) and two others into 60+ (THF and DRK) before quiting. Sadly, I quit (for personal reasons that are no longer relevant) just before I ever got a chance to truly appreciate end-game. I had been to Dynamis only a handful of times (most with little success due to poor organization and a lack of high levelled skilled NA players at the time, and the only HNMs I was ever around was with a JPN LS and I couldn't really do anything as I had no idea what they wanted me to do. Never even got a chance to fight the Shadow Warriors (either the six on ones, or the alliance vs. all five at once).

Now, there's probably a decent amount of new content in this game, but I can always figure that out as I replay through the level grind, so I won't bother any of you good people with those questions. But if anyone could give me a brief rundown on what's changed with the classes, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking through ability lists and don't notice anything drastically different. But for all I know, the great majority of new HNM may be Demons, perhaps making SAMs more useful for Demon Killer. Or something like that. Or perhaps the new equipment allows for different class/party dynamics that weren't around when I was playing.

Anyway, when I was playing, it seemed that the major end-game players were restricted to the various mages (BLM, WHM, RDM), Bards, Earth Staff Paladins, and Rangers. Most melee damagers seem to be left out as they couldn't compare to BLM or RNG. Except I did notice quite a few SAM that would sit back and Meditate, then slap a 300 TP Spirits Within whenever I went to spectate a HNM killing. Rarely saw BST or SMN at HNM fights (or if I did, they didn't seem to be doing anything). There always seemed to be a ton of NIN and THF running around HNM fights (and since I did play both, I noticed them particularly) but I couldn't ever really catch them doing much, at least not much of use anyway). Some people I still talk to tell me that NIN have become better by slapping on a ton of Enmity gear and physical damage down gear, is this true? Or are Earth Staff Pallies still the name of the game?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

cliffs notes please

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level

Essentially, I'm asking have any of the roles of variuos classes changed any since roughly 9 months ago? Most of the writing was just explaining how it seemed to me that the classes worked, so that people could tell me what has changed (i.e. they could say "yea, that class no longer does [whatever I wrote], they now are great for [whatever]".)

Also asking if the most important jobs in terms of who is more useful end game (HNM, running Dynamis, whatever else is now considered end game content) is still Earth Staff PLD, the mages, Bard, and Ranger.

Excuse my ramblings.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Basically:

Some jobs are better for some things than others. You speak of Earth-Staff PLDs, but that is not always the case depending on if you have Hrotti and are fighting a dragon type mob.

Also, every LS does stuff differently. Some people tank the gods with NIN. We, instead, use PLD and do it the grinding way. Some LS tank other things with NIN or PLD/WAR and sometimes even PLD/NIN if they possess the skill to.

As for jobs and races...I'd have to say that it was the same 9 months ago as it was now. A few new JAs have been added to certain jobs that make it helpful in other ways. You'd have to see it for youself.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Amarao
    You'd have to see it for youself.
    I see. Don't get me wrong, I have every intention of finding these things out as I play through again, that's part of the fun at times, and I understand that. I was only asking because, even though I'm not exactly the greatest player around, I still much prefer participating and being a fairly contributing member to endeavors such as HNM fights, rather than sit back, and watch the more suited jobs do all the work. So when I restart, I was looking to playing one of the more well suited jobs so that I could be part of the main action rather than be a bystander all the times. That's the only reason I ask (aside from mild curiosity of course).

I've been browsing around several FFXI forums trying to gauge which job to restart as and I notice that it's very hard to find posts dedicated specifically to HNM strategies (people seem to cling to those strategies tooth and nail ^^). For example, you mentioned PLD/NIN, which when I was playing, was a rarity (I think I'd seen maybe one person use that combination in the dozens of HNM fights I watched). Things like that, I'd imagine, are end game specific, and I don't generally find that kind of information just browsing around. I just didn't want to end up grinding my way through to high level with one class, then finding out that another class combination may have been more to my liking. Some things you generally don't seem to find out until you are high level, and I wanted a heads up before I wasted my time on something I may not have cared to play.

Anyway, thanks for the information.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

if you want to be the most active in the end game (and get there the fastest) go BRD :D

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level

Yea, I figured Bard would be the most painless to level through and it would certainly be welcomed into HNM LSs. Only concern I had was farming with a Bard. I'm sometimes terribly compulsive about having the nicest gear on that I can reasonably get, and the idea of farming with a dagger is somewhat... off-setting. I suppose there's always BCNM 40 (guessing of course, that that is still profitable), but that still leaves me at a sore disadvantage pre-40, and highly dependant on Beast Seals.

I figured RDM would be a decent choice as well.

Honestly, I should probably start off as a WHM, since most of the likely choices I'm going to play work nicely with a WHM subjob. Farming still a pain in this regard. Choices, choices... :D

Oh, have Summoners changed? Back when I was playing, the general role they seemed to serve was as another type of WHM, with the occassional Garuda Blink or Titan Stoneskin. Rarely did I see anyone use an avatar to attack directly. I noticed, however, on one of the videos (think it was Tiamat), someone's Leviathan was happily slapping the big dragon around.

Yea... sorry for being a pest, I'm just overly curious. 8)

Black Belt
    BG Level

in the leveling process SMN damage is still vastly inferior to BLMs until the higher levels.

70+ is when they deal lots of damage, but during the leveling process, main healing is still fairly normal.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

SMN are sexy to have (Minimal hate on the SMN) but a bitch to level w/o a static. As for BC40 I think Erase costs a whole lot more now then back when I was 40, same with some of the other disposable stuffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno
    SMN are sexy to have (Minimal hate on the SMN) but a bitch to level w/o a static. As for BC40 I think Erase costs a whole lot more now then back when I was 40, same with some of the other disposable stuffs.
    I got a smn I dunno I dont think many roles have changed too drastically since then, I see a ton more rdm that are refining the soloing side of the job, and it seems now that most are just tweaking the class' play styles. I would have to say the biggest change is in the gear and food available now. For instance squid sushi = insane rng acc and basically I very rarely miss. Everything costs insanly more honestly, but at the same time the stuff you farm or consumables crafting wise sell for more as well so it somewhat evens out. Kraken club is still uhhh 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 gils and things like R3 are around 1 mil (should have listened to cloude back then and got it for 80K) Every place is crowded now too it seems, even sky. Erase does cost insanly more then it did back then too. Then again BC40 worms turn for the win 8)

Akiro

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno
    summoner isnt that hard to lvl without a static actually, i managed to get it to 62 realitivly easy, statics tend to slow me down.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

If you want to be loved and hated at the same time, and get invited to 37856 HNM LS's and endgame LS's, level Beastmaster.

The GameFAQs FFXI boards have a good BST guide. Look for No2Wookie.