Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level

PS2 or PC???? Help me out.

Some people say PS2 is better than PC, others say PC > PS2....

My computer:

AMB athlon 1Ghz processor with a Geforce2mx400/400 vid card.

Yes yes I know. How is it possible to even be able to function in FFXI.

Thats why I'm looking into something that will be better for me after I move this summer. Can someone please enlighten me on how good PS2 is compared to the current stats on my computer and how lag is in jeuno or dynamis or something? It'd be cheaper to get PS2 if it will enable me to play ffxi in non-choppy graphics that I'm currently stuck with.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I have never played with a PS2 on FFXI. I played FFXI with a PC stats on it were AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 1GB PC3200 RAM, 2xWD 80GB Raid0, Radeon 9700 Pro, WinXP Pro, GA-K8N Pro Motherboard. I also had about a 3megabit cable modem connection through RoadRunner. With all that, which is obviously overkill for FFXI, I still got heavy lag in Jeuno, and even at any camp area that was heavily congested. I believe FFXI is still geared to cap at a certain bandwith, so it doesn't matter if your above that threshold. I have however seen pictures from a PS2, and the PC version looked better, not sure if mine played any smoother or not unfortunetly. Honestly with your PC stats I'm sure some of the lag is from that, but I bet it isn't as much as you might of thought. I liked the PC version cause it was easier for me to type, and my PS2 was broke for like the 3rd time. I'm just more comfortable at long periods of time sitting in my nice comfy computer chair, and I got a LCD monitor that is pretty easy on the eyes.

New Merits
    BG Level

id guess youd be better off with PS2 version, it might not look as pretty but im pretty sure it would have less lag then you have on that comp.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

It's not lag that I have a problem with, everyone usually has the same S and R as me. What I can't stand is the graphics lag. In some places, it's like I'm watching a powerpoint presentation. Insane. I'm stuck on 512/512 background resolution and 1024x768 overlay graphics res, so I'd kill to get something better than that, or at least not have it where these settings would chop so horribly.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

PC upgrades are pretty cheap actually, you can get a cheap Athlon, motherboard, and Ram for probably $300 easy, I usually buy all my computer stuff at http://www.newegg.com Ultimately though if price is of paramount concern, or just don't feel like you use your PC for enough other things I would probably suggest the PS2 route.

E. Body
    BG Level

PS2 owns PC version ;/

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Yea, my PC isnt too bad... 2 gHz AMD Athlon 2400+ 256MB GeForce FX 5200, 512 MB PC3200 RAM, and in dynamis jueno, after the mobs had walked back to their original position, id start seeing the WS and SC go off on them after everyone was dead. quite funny lol

Quote Originally Posted by Amarao
    It's not lag that I have a problem with, everyone usually has the same S and R as me. What I can't stand is the graphics lag. In some places, it's like I'm watching a powerpoint presentation. Insane. I'm stuck on 512/512 background resolution and 1024x768 overlay graphics res, so I'd kill to get something better than that, or at least not have it where these settings would chop so horribly.
    yo Get a AIT Radeon 9800 Pro

i got no Graphics lags what so ever runing FFxi with this GCard.

Saint Daahan Von Quitter the 1st
    Patron of Yin

BG Level

playing on PS2 is awesome compared to comp. So much easier to control.

However you won't be able to hop off the ledges on the airship anymore

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Whatever place you feal best playing is what i say

Me, on my bead laying down my PS2 controller in hand keybored infront and play the game but thats my confort zone, as Nermal said he likes sitting at his pc, it comes down to where can you spend alot of time and feal the most confortable.

On ps2 im fine on lag exept for where we all get lag, jeuno and 50ppl in one spot

New Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Amarao
    i didnt mean network lag i guess i should have said framerate or w/e, but yea im sure ps2 would run more smoothly then your current comp.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

yea sry bait, i re-read that and noticed that i didn't clarify what lag was owning me, but i knew what you meant. Thanks^^

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

PS2 Graphics wise is about the same res as what your running now, but you have joystick to control the camera and movement which is alot nicer.
    You'll still get some lag occasionally on ps2 like in jeuno and in heavy camp areas but overall the game runs smooth and doesn't tend to get choppy. And you can sit on your bed and play ^^d, It also costs alot to upgrade a PS2 to play it, if you just have a plain big ps, you need 100 for the game/harddrive, 20-30 for the x-pansion, 30 for the network adapter (assuming you didn't have one).
    Your stuck with all in game graphics, not like you can mod the .dat files on a ps2, no fenrir moogles, no new music.

Like some people said, you might just wanna look into upgrading your computer , You could use parts and built your own, or use good compainies to build you one and you could pay monthley.

Dell's XPS series (yes dell) is actually really good, I can run Doom3 and the expansion at full high quality with no clipping or break up, WoW Looks as cartoony as it can be, and FFXI is sooooo smooth.

Just depends on your Budget which you really want.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Thanks, good info~