+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtual Rape     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

Virtual Rape

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...=1#post2923056

I apologise in advance for the topic, but its been bothering me for weeks.

I was "raped" in wow a few weeks ago. The experience was so awful and so traumatic I left wow. I've been playing EQ2 and moderately enjoying it, but I miss my mage in wow and miss the whole wow universe. But I've been afraid to come back.

I did come back this weekend with a new character, but I'm so afraid of it happening again.

The main problem is that the youngish guy players have no idea they are totally debasing and instulting female players. And if a female objects she gets innundated with ever more insulting prods. To the point that she has to leave.

I dont believe there is a recourse. We dont have a "rape police". There is no rape kit. The female players so destroyed kick themselves and blame themselves and in most cases quit mmorpgs altogether.

I had hoped, with the new pvp servers, that the worst offenders would be gone. But coming back as a junior mage I see just as much annimosity to female players as there was before.

In my case, when I said I'm a rl female, the response was, "oh nice, boobs are ftw". I objected (sheesh) and the response was "boobs are ftw" "boobs are ftw" "boobs are ftw" from about 20 players. I felt just plain dirty. If that doesnt constitute online rape I dont know what does.

I doubt very much that ANY male player can appreciate the feeling. All I could think of at the time was, if it were !&!@$ instead of boob, would everyone have had such a big laugh?

Now granted, possibly they wanted to drive me out of the guild (lv 60 mage). They did succeed. But I'm thinking any high guild wants to keep their high players. I think what happened was it was a bunch of 14 year olds that had NO IDEA how hurtful they were being.

Neither you nor I nor Blizz can tell 14 year olds how to behave. But... I got raped by a bunch of them and I'm still afraid to come back to wow.

I dont want it ever to happen again. I cant play this universe if I have to submit to virtual rape just to raid.

I dont know the solution at all.

People seem to get the image that if you're a high level godly female player in a game you must be hot in real life =P

Either that or that you're a guy, but I'm a hot chick so you're probably right.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lito Rex
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

with a deep voice.

poor amarok

roffle my boffle

word...virtual... rape? it's not like the words are gonna impregnate you, besides the biggest mistake you can make is publically admitting you're a woman.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

In my case, when I said I'm a rl female, the response was, "oh nice, boobs are ftw". I objected (sheesh) and the response was "boobs are ftw" "boobs are ftw" "boobs are ftw" from about 20 players. I felt just plain dirty. If that doesnt constitute online rape I dont know what does.
    Oh come on..

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Virtual sexual Harassment yes... Until you can be bent over and violated in game its just that.

Quote Originally Posted by Roree
    Virtual sexual Harassment yes... Until you can be bent over and violated in game its just that.
    I await this day

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

El...... its not being violated when you tie yourself up and pin a 20 on your shirt with a note saying "take me you fool!"

Packin more heat than spicy
    8=====>

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Roree
    Quicklet violated me.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Setsuko
    Quicklet violated me.
    two Mithras? somebody call the Bald Bard.

guys are definitely pervs, especially the younger ones but i think some women who play this game are just too sensitive like the one in this post. doesn't WoW have a /blist function?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Do they not have something comparable to /blist in WoW?

I kinda feel bad for this person. It's true. Women are often mistreated in video games.

Even if you do the internet dating thing (which welcomes more of this sort of behavior) it's still the woman that has to be the one to leave when something goes wrong.

I wish I had known sooner, but I should have never revealed my sex in the game. Being a female gamer invites abuse and disrespect. No matter what you do or how hard you work, you are still playing something generally thought of as a male's hobby. Therefore, emotional attachments, feelings, friendship, and the feminine concerns are seen as weak and without place.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it video game rape, but I would call it video game dehumanization. I pay my monthy subscription just like everyone else, but I still don't get the same respect as my paying male counter-part.

Personally, I have tried a lot of different tactics to keep myself from becoming a target, but it always ends up the same way. If a female is not attached to a male in a linkshell, she will no longer be tolerated. It is safe to operate under the "girlfriend clause" where you are associated with some other male member, and thus tolerated, but outside of that, good luck.

I just wish I could play the way that is most comfortable for me and still be respected among my server's community.

Rupertt

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    Do they not have something comparable to /blist in WoW?
    /ignore... And unlike ffxi when you /ignore somebody they actually get a response saying so-and-so is ignoring you. Not that I would know from personal experience.

Buru: It's not your sex that matters, it's your attitude.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Buru is absolutely right. As soon as you admit that you are female the attitudes around you change vastly. Either they treat you with more respect or they go out of their way to point out that you have boobies IRL. The jokes become more raunchy and the /tells become more candid. I /still/ get flowers from complete strangers in my in-box a couple times a month. How many men do that to each other? Flowers I don't mind. Being called a bitch on the rag for having an opinion I do mind. And it happens more often than anyone can possibly imagine.

Attitude /is/ important, yes. But if you have too much attitude a woman can be debased and insulted even more for it. Respect goes completely out the window when your attutude doesn't match what your male counterparts want it to be. It feels as if you aren't judged on your merits as much as your cup size and 'availability'.

PMS (Do you need it?) [aka: Back the f*ck off or die a horrible painful drawn out death.]

This is why you say you're married or have a boyfriend (or a lesbian... dike no thanks). If you have the right attitude sex doesn't matter, you think being a woman is hard in-game when i've seen woman fucking OWN men by getting them to buy items for them, plvl them and generally have men by the fucking balls 100%. It's all attitude.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura
    (or a lesbian... dike no thanks)
    I think that would make the situation a lot worse, because then the guys would really want pictures.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast