Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cooking- is it worth it?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Cooking- is it worth it?

Hello all. My cooking is 90. In your opinion is it even worth it to get it higher? I hardly ever cook now- just too much of a hassle.

Thanks.

Shahla

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

a friend of mine actually had cooking at 94ish and realized it wasnt for him so he took goldsmithing to the 80+ range deleveling his cooking level.

his reasons were that the profits are so pieced together. u need to synth a shit load to make money off of it. but it also doesnt take as much of an investment as the other crafts. Just depends what you are looking for really.

It's all personal taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Solar
    a friend of mine actually had cooking at 94ish and realized it wasnt for him so he took goldsmithing to the 80+ range deleveling his cooking level.

his reasons were that the profits are so pieced together. u need to synth a shit load to make money off of it. but it also doesnt take as much of an investment as the other crafts. Just depends what you are looking for really.

It's all personal taste.
    1 point for the unintentional pun, back to topic:

Eh, cooking, I guess as far as profit it's biased upon what's going good at the time. However, even if you capped it off at 60, pending job (I think?) you can make most of your foods, if not at least HQ them decently. So that would save on some incurred cost to you as a player using food. Melon Pie +1's are 50k a freakin stack on Fairy, unless they went up again -.- Figure over time that final value may right or lower pending the "boom" of the item, however, ingredients generally stay the same since most are from NPCs anyway, if not they can be easily farmable if you take the time.

Note: I am NOT a cooking person, Clothcraft is my main, that is what I focus on, I am merely judging by pure randomness. Septimus though is a hilevel Cook methinks, your answer could lie with him

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

you need to mass produce things to make gil.

That is what i do while looking for a pt, i have made millions selling sushi.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Yeah those last 10 lvl s can help you hit the 3rd tier hq bracket on some synths, just depends, Cooking is low investment, low return high inventory space. (Except when your bringing stuff for juice etc...)

Crafts tend to give more out for the more you put in, like cloth and gold and smithing, yeah they are hella expensive , but you can make alot off the hq's.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Marcatil
    It's all personal taste.
    1 point for the unintentional pun, back to topic:
    [/quote]

lol

thanks for pointing that out man... was completely unintentional

anyhow, yah i agree with everything stated, can make money off of it but its like you are an assembly line constantly putting shit out. If you can read the market and play with it to your advantage, you will make a ton of money, but u gotta stick with it. once you stop following the market trend u fall outta the loop very quickly

New Merits
    BG Level

I'm on Shiva. I make all my money cooking and have very respectable gear. Other crafts are more profit in the long run, but the investment is ugly. Basically whenever I have an hour and a half free I can turn 90k into 270k with 98 cooking. Of course it takes 24 hours or so for everything to sell, and you can't flood the market with food daily or it kills the price, but if you're smart about it (and have time, which I never do ) you can bring in 800k/week or so with our server's economy.

"Too much of a hassle" shouldn't be in your vocabulary if you want to cook for profit though, every synth session I do is 96 synths, and sometimes I'll cook 2 or 3 different foods at a time upping the synth count even more.

Sushi sucks on our server, it's too damn cheap (all NQ sushi sells for cost). I think Tavnazian Salads would be decent profit and take you to level 92 if you want to get back to skilling up.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Cooking would yield very nice profits, if it weren't for the fact that 99.999995% of all cooks are utter morons. If something is going for 10k a stack, be preparied to have to sell it for 8k because people undercut the living shit out of everything, even to the point where they could not possibly make a profit off of it if they HQ3 consistantly.

But I am a slightly angry person, you might not want to take my advice.

Like one of the previous posts says, need to mass sell in order to make a healthy profit. So you need either multiple mules or enough inventory space to bazaar everything.

Cooking is the cheapest craft to level from 90 to 100, but the Royal Honey needed from 99-100 is a [Bio]tch to get, due the drop rate and limited wasps.

Personally I wouldnt bother about getting to 90-100 for profit-reasons unless you want the esteem of having a 100 crafting level.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Septimus is absolutley right about the undercutters.

I am beginning to hate Penguin, if sushi is selling for 37k a stack, the dumb bastard will sell his for 31k. I could understand if he was mass producing it, but all he does is delay me selling mine at 37k. I wish people would start to understand that they can sell as much as they want at a certain price and they do not need to undercut.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Penguin can go to the dankest pit of hell and rot.

He (or she) even undercuts sole sushi +1.