Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Woodworking, Leathercrafting, Smithing, or Boneworking

As the title says, Which of these 4 ~ Woodworking, Leathercraft, Smithing, or Boneworking ~ do you guys find to be the most profitable after you reach level 100(+6)?

Let's assume all relevant sub-crafts are at 60.

Thanks for any input^^

If you're just looking for profit, NM camping and high-level farming is much better, unless you're planning for 6-10 months leveling your craft without much return.

And, all 4 crafts have their profit niches. Which one is best for you depends on your situation and your server.

Quote Originally Posted by aurik
    If you're just looking for profit, NM camping and high-level farming is much better, unless you're planning for 6-10 months leveling your craft without much return.

And, all 4 crafts have their profit niches. Which one is best for you depends on your situation and your server.

Yes I want to spend the time to get a craft to 100. It's one of the things I have yet to do in FFXI. I've achieved most of the other accomplishments available, besides 3 wyrms and sea so I am looking for something else to do.

Well the general economies amongst different servers is not so extreme that you wouldn't be able to answer the question.

Well the general economies amongst different servers is not so extreme that you wouldn't be able to answer the question
    Yes, actually, it is.

If you just want the accomplishment of having a 100 craft, then go with a craft you enjoy.

It looks to me, however, that you just want to craft for profit. In which case you're off to a bad start, because doing your own local research is the heart of profit crafting.

And THAT is the best advice you will get on this subject.

If you just want a craft for pure profit, screw all the others and go Goldsmithing, it's ludicrously expensive but has high return after prolonged work.

Otherwise, each craft has its own market of what sells very well, and what doesn't. Some may be more profitable than others, sometimes it's just watching the market and getting in on something while it's selling good (this is esp. prevalent in regards to Cooking). All in all, just pick the one you want, if it's sheer money, GS is the way to go really though.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I'd say Smithing, you turn out Haubergeon +1s and Hauberk+1s on a regular basis (hauberegeon is low enough to be HQed kinda often) and you're im the money. Bone has SH+1s with about the same frequency. Most of leather's big ones are Sniper's and Amemets, which aren't so high at least not on my server. Personally I'd do Smithing, seems to have the most options to make money, simply because a lot of smithed armor and weapons are bought HQed, but not so much from other crafts.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

bone sucks......only money makers are the LV90-100 HQ synths which are a 10% HQ Rate...

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Goldsmithing's profit is just sick beyond belief on Siren. Every server is different of course, I thought I made decent money on cloth until I really started watching my 98 gold friend. Every NQ he makes is profit, and every HQ he makes is OMGWTFBBQ profit. If I NQ in cloth I just NPC or desynth it, about the only exceptions are Blessed,Vermy,Nobles.

He made 2 Heaven's Earring +1's yesterday LOL, only 10m each.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Raineer
    Goldsmithing's profit is just sick beyond belief on Siren. Every server is different of course, I thought I made decent money on cloth until I really started watching my 98 gold friend. Every NQ he makes is profit, and every HQ he makes is OMGWTFBBQ profit. If I NQ in cloth I just NPC or desynth it, about the only exceptions are Blessed,Vermy,Nobles.

He made 2 Heaven's Earring +1's yesterday LOL, only 10m each.
    But on the other hand even with those 2 Heaven's Earring +1, has he made back his initial investment?

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Lilmage
    bone sucks......only money makers are the LV90-100 HQ synths which are a 10% HQ Rate...
    yea...and on my server, the JP's totally fuck that shit up to the point they're not worth money.

Ivory Sickles, were a 1 mil profit at one point, just due to the rarity of the main ingred (ENM50 vahzl drop). One crafter alone undercut HIMSELF from 1.8 mil to 500k. He also undercut himself on RR Hairpins, from 90k to 65k,

HQ Hecatomb just aint worth shit, because of the rarity of the HQ, not to mention the NQ's dont sell often. Throwing the fact that Angel Skins have more than doubled in price, doesnt make them worth synthing.