Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I was wondering...     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

I was wondering...

I'm really sick of being a level 9 thief. I'm a 18MNK/9THF but I wanted to raise THF to 18 before switching back to mnk and levelling to 37.

So, I was wondering; is there any way I could set up some sort of appointment for a powerlevel? Someone who wouldn't mind pl-ing me for as long as they wished in LaTheine and Valkurm. I would be able to pay... eventually. And I want to join BG, so, the sooner the better.

I know it's probably really n00by to ask for pls and such, but...
    I'm getting desperate right hurr.

stuf nub. MNK/thf sucks btw.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

That's odd. More than one person told me that was the only decent sub for Monk.

Albeit this IS a forum oriented towards an LS on Bahamut, it might help to state which server you're on, however, going to warn you. PL'ing offers you nothing, you don't learn the game mechanics, and you will lack the experience of actually learning.

Yeah, it sucks, but ya know, learning from your mistakes helps you later down the line. Take it for what it's worth, I think you're better off joining groups. At least you can make some better cash from it by selling crystal stacks and other misc. items you may get, as per doing it solo w/a PL. <.< Most PL'ers charge btw, and the rate generally isn't low-grade.

Edit: grammar errors blow >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Mekhami
    That's odd. More than one person told me that was the only decent sub for Monk.
    Yeah, post lv60

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

What sub should I use then? Gah, I feel like I've wasted all this time.

MNK/WAR 'til about 60, however, it's best to get WAR and THF to 37, you may want a different sub pending the situation. I'd explain more details but since it seems you're just starting, no need for the technicalities that'd probably confuse the fuck outta you at this point.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Meh. It's my first character, yes....

And I wanted to break away from the ordinary MNK/WAR tradition.

And it's taken me FOREVER to get Mnk to 18 and THF to 9. This is horrid... I wish I could get one solid opinion and just have someone help me out.

Because I would really enjoy being a higher level, but the time it takes is disgusting.

Welcome to FFXI, as much as I can try to not discourage you, EVERYTHING takes an exuberant amount of time. Best advice, make some good friends around your level, that can likely help you in the longrun.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Okay, Marcatil.
    Your verdict shall be my final choice.

I have an 18MNK/9THF

What job/subjob should I work, til what levels.

I know I'm going to regret this, but... gah. I don't know that I have enough money for a new job set. W/e I'll just sell my THF Eq.

So, it's up to you.

Depends on your play style, each vary. Frankly I can't stand playing melee jobs, RDM is my primary, BLM main subjob, and WHM, SMN are alternative subjobs and soon DRK will be as well when it's 37 (no need to worry at this time why I have so many).

Nothing in this game is cheap, at low levels things are relatively low in price, however, your ability to acquire money is typically gimped to hell. At higher levels it's a bit easier to get cash, but generally things are so ludicrously overpriced it takes equally as long (if not worse) to get it.

Word of advice, if you're just starting out, some stuff can be a pretty good market for you.

In San d'Oria region: Bat wings, there is a quest in N.Sandy that gives 200gil for every 2 bat wings you bring. These are easy to get, when you get a bit higher in level (10+?), you can raid the lower-level ones in King Ranperre's Tomb and get a good amount. This is also a great way to build up your fame for Sandy.

In Bastok region: beehive chips and lizard skins are good to sell on AH in stacks. If you have an abundance of inventory space, taking 4 Zinc Ore (dunno if you'd get the quest yet), to an NPC in P.Bastok gives you 550gil and Norg fame (not something to worry at this point).

In Windurst region: frankly, I don't know. You could get yagudo necklaces and use a wind crystal to turn them into 3 grass thread, and repeat the process until you get a stack (stack = 12 items of the same kind, some may be 99) and sell it that way. This is crafting, but, explaining that at this point might confuse you...However, you could always look it up online for more information. I think you can get beehive chips in windurst too. If you get lucky and get some silk thread from the crawlers, save it. It should sell pretty good (at least for your level) in a full stack, but may take a lot of time to acquire - low level mobs don't drop it well >.>

You'll understand more as you play, hence why powerleveling isn't the answer. Another thing to keep in mind: Always get Signet from one of your nation's NPCs in town (you can get it in another city outside of your nation. When you kill mobs that give you EXP, you will 1) have a chance for finding crystals, and 2) get Conquest Points (CP). Later on CP can be exchanged for various items according to conquest rankings of your nation, etc.

Also try to keep your Rank up equally as your level goes along. You DO get money for getting Rank up, but it's not really big earlier on. Not big later on either but this is coming from someone who has items that cost upwards of a minimum of 500k.

If you level warrior up, my suggestion would be to use a great axe. It'll make the low levels fly by.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Well, that doesn't particularly help me decide what class to use... which is now my big dilemma. My style is melee, I like to be the one doing the major damage.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Gonna toss my two cents into the equation, being a Monk myself at this point.

THF is an okay sub. It's not stellar, and should never be used pre-30. Its real use shines post-60, with Trick Attack. Before then you're limiting your DoT for a slightly stronger weaponskill every 60 seconds, assuming you have the TP for it.

WAR is your all-purpose go-to sub. Berserk, Provoke, Double Attack, etc. It's all good. It has everything you want and it levels pretty quickly (at least for me). I get to tank a lot with this sub. >_>

WAR will last you till 75 and beyond, but you'll want THF available regardless. Some parties like that sort of thing pre-60, I don't know why, but whatever puffs their sails.

I've wanted to shoot myself everytime a PT asks me to sub THF. Worst of all when they do convince me to sub it, we end up solo'ing WS.

Wouldn`t warrior be better sub for mnk all the way to 75 considering mnks good weaponskills are multihit ones and sata would only increase the damage of the first hit, although I guess the hate control would be a good bonus.

I`m not a mnk so I guess I don`t REALLY know if war sub is better or not but war just seems like a better choice to me.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Truth: MNK/THF sucks MNK/WHM Pwns!

okay okay truth is MNKWAR is sooooooooooo much better than /thf, i pted with mnk/thfs and it's soo sad...drk getting tp faster than mnk....then doing more dmg on ws's... not good I get tp faster than mnk/thf as a tank..thats just wrong MNK/WAR however does alot more avg dmg than most jobs and only losses 100-200 in dmg per ws, with my nin i pted with a MNK/THF that did SATA 500dmg Dragon kick which was pretty good, she had thf sub cause of me being a nin tank she thought it would help, sad thing is i was the only in the pt with voke , she changed to /war when we got a new member and WS's were 300-400dmg but her avg dmg doubled

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Only useful weaponskills I can think of that a Monk has that would make use of Sneak Attack are Backhand Blow and Howling Fist.

However, Backhand Blow sucks anyway, and Howling Fist is used to open Distortion; in which case you're going to want Provoke to turn the enemy for a THF to close back onto the tank.

Kind of a waste.

Akiro

you forgot, Dragon Kick duh!

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

I'd still take Berserk over Sneak Attack for Dragon Kick.