+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone with a PSP     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Anyone with a PSP

Actually know how to put Emulators and Roms onto it? If you actually can, cause I wanna play Chrono Trigger and FFVI on it as well as some other GBA/Snes/Genesis Roms. OMG Sonic 3+Knuckles on PSP SEXY.

Ahem, anyway. Does anyone know how to do this? I'll probably ask on some PSP or Emulator board later on.

i saw it on tv yesterday. that doesnt help you at all but. i saw it on tv yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Scunsion
    i saw it on tv yesterday. that doesnt help you at all but. i saw it on tv yesterday.
    Gee thanks...

a friend of mine got software to put psp games on his memstick, so he can just rent games and droppem on his stick over n over.

kinky.

Sexy, thanks.

I actually have information for you.

The most important thing to do is to NOT update your PSP. Do not run Network Update. Ever.

Basically, with PSP OS v1.5, you'll need two memory sticks. You'll need a utility by some team of people who speak Spanish, called MSwapTool. It has an English option if you don't exactly understand Spanish, too. What you'll do is you'll run that program, and select the program that you want to run on your PSP. Then you select the output directory, and click on Generate. You'll get two folders, MS1 and MS2. Copy the file in MS1 to the first memory stick. This will be your boot memory stick to actually run the program. Copy the file in MS2, and any associated files for the program (i.e. with emulators you'll need your roms, bmps, patches, etc) onto your second memory stick. Make sure that the program name listed in MS1 and MS2 is the same (you can change it if you'd like multiple programs on the mem stick at once) and that you put it in the EXACT SAME DIRECTORY on both of the Mem sticks. Then, take the UMD out of the PSP, and put in the first memory stick and leave the port open. Run the program from the memory stick under the Game area. You will then need to switch your memory sticks quickly while it loads. You'll see it load how you normally see it load when you run a UMD, with the little jingle and PSP splash screen. You need to have the mem stick in before the splash screen goes away. Actually, a few seconds before would be good.

You can then play your homebrew games/apps and smile.

I don't have any links, and can't upload the installer because I'm at work right now. But I'm sure you'd be able to find the stuff on your own. Enjoy.

Oh cool, so basically I need 2 memory sticks before I do this? Cause I only have 1 right now, planning on buying a 1gig one later on.

The only way to do this on an NA/EUR PSP (check your version number first), is it has to be v1.5, and you have to do the swap trick. Sony will probably eventually make a OS version that allows homebrew apps to be run. This will make the PSP kick everything's ass.

And btw--those SNES emus out there? Some of them still need some work. I tried running SMRPG on the SNES9X port and I get about 40 FPS out of battle (note: SNES runs at 60fps, just like PSX) and only 22 in battle while I overclock the PSP's process at 333Mhz (I think? forgot, was two week ago). Stuff like FFVI might run nice, and Chrono Trigger might run ok too. Since ya know, SMRPG is a lil' graphic intense for that system.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

I can help youuuu >^^<

Akiro

it's so beautiful

... Chrono Trigger. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

ok, mini faq I shall run through

first you need a card, any size will do but something semi big 128+

(caps are important)
    make a folder called PSP in the root of the card
    make a folder inside PSP called GAME and another called MUSIC

inside game make a folder called SNES

download this little toy

virus free and solid, you dont need to reboot
    you can change the language at the top

before you do anything with that, download this emu (considered the best by my group of linkshell friends who all play emu on our psp)

they update often, usually once a day, I tend to grab a new release once a week

inside the uo_snes9x zip will be an EBOOT.PBP file, this is your emulator
    go into your kx program and set name as SNES (caps important!!)
    point the PBP file to the EBOOT.PBP you downloaded and extracted
    point the PSP Unit to your memory card
    now hit Generate files
    this will take moments and basically after that your done with the hard part

go into the GAME folder and you will see 2 folders, 1 called SNES and 1 called SNES%
    put all your roms in the SNES folder, not all roms work and huge roms are bastards
    put your card back in or go back to PSP normal status and then go to the card game launcher and select the uo_snes9x file, it will come up with the file launcher and you may play, on this emu, pressing L+R+Select brings up the rom menu

most games need to be run at 333mhz and some decent frame skip. FF6 runs perfect at 333 with 5 frame skip and sound off, with sound on it runs good but has slowdown in some places (narshe regardless lags like a bitch) Turn sound down to 11khz and it runs better
    crono I havent tested on this new version much, but 333 and 5 seems to be the magic number, works best with sound off.

you molest your battery with sound on so you know, turn it off and you have about 5 hours of gaming, on is 2 or less

I might also have a large zip full of roms that I can link privatly if anyone is interested

mailto:[email protected] or SonomaaKitty on aim if you have any questions
    Sonomaa in game via Tell

Cool, i'm gonna try this sometime soon. Hopefully my memory card will come soon. :D

Thanks for the update, Sono. I didn't know the same exact group had already released that exploit. Thank God, no more annoying card switching. And the Unofficial SNES9x... run SMRPG on it and gimme framerates. ^^;

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

http://www.psphacker.com and download some of the 1.5 bundles.

i have emu for snes on my psp working

I have a pewp load of roms on my PC for SNES, N64, PS, Sega, Arcade onry games.. I'm too poor for a PSP. </3

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Genosync
    Thanks for the update, Sono. I didn't know the same exact group had already released that exploit. Thank God, no more annoying card switching. And the Unofficial SNES9x... run SMRPG on it and gimme framerates. ^^;
    Im not running the latest version of uo however smrpg plays horrible on it, it did play better on the snes9x standard release, same with earthbound.

regardless smrpg is too much for the current setup on the psp, gotta wait a few revisions

FF6 plays perfectly though, I might add, frameskip 5 and sound off
    <3 Atma Weapon

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

new release for the uo_snes9x team
    v0.02y25 Updated 9th july 2005

this update differs from my previous one, apparantly I had downloaded a jp version of it, which was based off the 0.02y11 code, which was much slower, however I like the menus better, the jp version plays marioRPG horrible, however this new release plays it much much better
    8-12 fps with sound on (off is better still) running at 333 with 5 frame skip, still a little laggy but very very playable, I am betting in a few revisions things will be even better

regardless, I have 2 loads, the JP version for FF6 so I can do sabins blitzes easier and the standard version for most of the other games

oh, pirates of the caribbean is awesome >^^< portable yarrr

Ill have a review of stuff to buy with your psp up soon, since I have tons of crap for it, spend spend spend wheee

Would the process for putting Genesis ROMs be the same as SNES, or would you need another program etc?