Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Straight Tanking Kirin     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Straight Tanking Kirin

Ever since Rng 'nerf' in the most recent update, my LS has been talking about trying this.

I'm not sure straight tanking him a whole fight is entirely out of the question, but I'd like to see something like a 30 second hold for SC (non-dependent on his casting).

Some interesting things I have been thinking about include using Armor Break (wind based) pre Light SC with a drk/thf closer, multiple aeroga MBs.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on this subject, some people in my LS can't be bothered to think outside the box lol.

Saint Daahan Von Quitter the 1st
    Patron of Yin

BG Level

mnks and bsts are your new best friends.

Could work as long as he doesn't start casting Stonega IV during your 30 second hold.

He probably will though.

Just have your bard silence him

we did it a couple times

Xavier

ya, we did, turns the fight into a 15 minute deal because straight up tanking your melees can just go crazy and rape him. ga iv isn't so bad as long as 30 people take it and everyone is ready to cure afterwards.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

The more people you have being hit with -ga IV he less damage everyone takes?

Lol usually we just run the fuck away XD

So just to confirm the more people that eat the spell the less dmg/person it does?

Also, hw does this compare to other strategies you ave used? You said you did it as an LS a couple of times - was there a reason you have not continued?

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Daahan
    mnks and bsts are your new best friends.
    how so? please explain :D

dps and pet dmg?

Relic Shield
    BG Level

The more people you have being hit with -ga IV he less damage everyone takes?

Lol usually we just run the fuck away XD

So just to confirm the more people that eat the spell the less dmg/person it does?
    Correct. Any trained BLM would know this.

Although ya never know, with StonegaIV it might have it's own 'special' rules......

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Pretty much why I wanted to clarify - most aoe stuff have increase in efficiency x number of targets - like thousand needles

Xavier

I wouldn't stake my life on it, but 99% sure that more people in range = less dmg from Kirin's AOE. No SS to back this up, so unless someone wants to tell me I'm wrong I'm running with it. We did it once and it really owned, we tore Kirin apart and it was a magical experience. The second time we tried it, one of our 3 blink tanks d/ced, and another was one shotted by deadly hold. At that point, the strategy kinda fell apart and degraded into a marthoned Kirin with everyone there on sa/ta jobs, not ranger. Needless to say, it took forever and people just lost interest. We tried it a third time, but people just didn't have faith in it anymore.

I imagine if we ever do Kirin again, we'd try straight up again.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

ah, so you guys as an LS really just don't do Kirin/sky very often anymore?

i cant remember the last time to be honest

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I'm really interested in this idea - a 15 minute kirin sounds extremely appealing to me - and I'd rather not rely on blm attendance to take down kirin.

So main tank him with ninja - yes/no? Main job plds could certainly be used as backups i'm sure.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

PLD's are ok but take fuck tons of damage. ;\ Especially since he tends to spam ws's.

trying new stuff with kirin sounds like a lot of fun.

the past 2-3 weeks we've been kiting him with a bst/nin with a bunch of +enmity gear. It takes him a while to build up hate (about as long as it takes all 4 summons to die) but once he does no one can really rip hate off of him. charm hate is crazy.

you do run the risk of being inadvertently bind griefed from time to time, however >_>

Demosthenes11

My ls has tried this a few times, but only for about 30 second periods for SCing. Would work very well except for the fact most of our nins are taru

you have to have like 5 whms to support all the sandstorm/whirlwind/stonega4 damage. and astral flow isnt really dissipated by hitting a lot of people, so if you have bad luck you can lose like 20 people, so it's best to have like a backup team of 1-2 tanks and 1-2 mages or something. and have curaga people and tanks use poison pots for sleepga, cause if you dont you'll die too.

straight up kirin is really fun though, and makes you a lot better at strategy/coordination, and can make the fight a matter of 10 minutes with a little good luck. far more sophisticated than marathoning 8)

Black Belt
    BG Level

straight up tanking Kirin = 0 RNGs 0 BLMs

you can have BLMs to MB on the SCs but they pull hate really easily and die as opposed to Trick WS which are for the most part hate free.

as a war/nin i usually kept hate just fine with voke warcry ridill and axe spamming rampage on Kirin :X I had 2-3whm's and 2-3rdm's to keep me alive while we knocked off about 30% of its life and then I'd die from some wierd fluke. Usually Stonega IV > Astral Flow back to back or Stonega IV > Deadly Hold while casting utsu Ichi.

Yes the more people that get hit by Stonega IV the less dmg everyone takes. I have lived through a Stonega IV > Astral Flow combo simply because there was so many people hit by the SIV that it only did around 400dmg.

I recommend any LS try it once its a very fun experience.