Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

To PLD's tanking with Hrotti

Would u guys recommend using Tatami Shield rather than koenig shield for the possibilty of more proc's or is it not worth it?

New Merits
    BG Level

IF you can keep hate with Tatami then use it. Else just use koenig.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

The Joyeuse keeps good hate because of its double attack rate. If you're tanking with Hrotti (which is like, short of the Excalibur, the most powerful sword ever. But I never got one), the only double attack rate you'll be relying on will be from your WAR sub, which doesn't happen a lot. So instinctively, I'd say Koenig Shield for that extra enmity...

But who knows? Maybe the extra STR boost from the Tatami will make Hrotti dmg effective enough to keep hate. EVA is a bit of a joke since most of damage you negate is from the shield or parrying anyway. But that's my experience.

I think Joyeuse/Tatami for everything but Fafnir/Nidhogg and then Hrotti/Koenig Shield, perhaps Hrotti for Wyrms but our PLDs use earth staff for those.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

hrotti the wyrms in the air (if you're still living in the past where you don't use ninjas)

PLDs tank? We use PLD/DRG and WHM/WAR dd. Awesome on faf.

I'm not knocking ninjas on COP wyrms (I'm one myself, but also a PLD)... but how do cope with it flying? It's a lot of damage that you can't avoid, only mitigate with -% magic damage taken gear.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrios
    I'm not knocking ninjas on COP wyrms (I'm one myself, but also a PLD)... but how do cope with it flying? It's a lot of damage that you can't avoid, only mitigate with -% magic damage taken gear.
    Have mages to cure you...?

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Either tank type works (any three actually. WAR/NINs are just as capable). What you really need is plenty of healers to keep them going when they fly and when they touchdown. No matter how you look at it, who you use, or what you use, it's a lot of cures involved.

Yeah, but then hate goes out the window from the bomb curing? While tanking Vrtra (a Wyrm which doesn't fly) straight up hate issues were very important, I can't imagine a fight where half the time your Utsusemi is useless.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrios
    Yeah, but then hate goes out the window from the bomb curing?
    Stun order while it's in the air, Ninja's with enmity out the ass and White Mages with as much enmity down as possible. I've held Tiamat for four-to-five minutes without losing hate as the only tank while our others came back from zombie and my HP is comparatively horrendous. To just assume a Ninja will get destroyed while it's in the air is naive. Paladins in my LS are joke, we don't use them for anything so our entire LS is built on the foundation of Ninjas.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

<3 paladin. Paladins own ninja's at Vrtra, much quicker to regain lost hate from charm etc. I'm sure ninja's are fine and all for Wyrms and stuff, but paladin is nice for the security I suppose, almost makes more fun for whm XD. I just remember a 1/2-1/3 success rate on nin tanks for Vrtra and 3/3 now with paladins, so I guess go with what works, put them M bodies and Defending Rings to use!

Sea Torques
    BG Level

what defending rings ;3

Defending Ring is a myth.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfectEnding
    Defending Ring is a myth.
    4 known to date exist on Fairy if I'm correct. Forgot who the 1st belongs to, 2nd belongs to the jp bot/whore/jackass Secure, 3rd is DOSHU (>.>, don't ask), 4th is someone in LP (LostParadise)

Iirc 1 on Remora, Raymond in LG.

Enhancing dragon killer ftw.

Hmm asura has/had like 5 Ring that I new about

the Taru rdm who had a 75 pld I didnt know about (jp)
    the uberpulling Nin/Pld who never sleeps (jp)
    the nicest/pimpest player on the server, Ieyasu (jp)
    and Lighthawk and Melchor (na)

My LS alone has had six defending rings drop XD (all went to PLDs)

The first Defending Ring on the server went to a JP RDM... who also has a Shadow Mantle (wtf? no, he doesn't have 75 pld or nin)

There are about two or three others spread around other JP LSes, but generally the JPs on Cerberus have lives

Tarutarudan on the Shiva server has well over 30 Defending Rings, even thier White Mages have them.