Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Melee RDM ftw!     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Sorry, but if I remember correctly, RDMs needed INT and MND, so why exactly WOULDN'T you want the mage ring?
    Sorry for repeating his reasoning, but it seems like you didnt quite understand what he was saying. His point was that you use dont use int and mnd in the same spell, so you can switch out snow and aqua rings for basically the same effect. (this is excluding the -enmity, which he also said).

The melee ring's effect cannot be duplicated by switching in rings, because both stats are used at the same time.

Now, still excluding the -enmity and remembering you can only ever get one ring, would you rather have the ring who's effects can be simulated w/ slight inconvenience, or the ring who's effects can be found no where else in the game?

That being said, i got the tamas ring, lol.

You do know that the +subtle blow and store TP are like... 0.5tp (given with SB and gained with sTP). Even if you don't find them on a ring the effects are still so minimal that it shouldn't warrent you getting it over the mages ring (the names escape me) when that's so much more useful. Besides RDM attack, STR and DEX are lousy and so aren't the most important things when solo'ing...

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

What pisses me off the most is the fact that these 3 rings devide people into 3 classes; tank, mage and melee. That being said, why ta hell are all jobs unlocked and accessible. It seems like SE is encouraging to play all those jobs yet doesn't provide the gear to support them. I feel personally boxed in and forced to decide which of the 3 classes I am. Maybe I just want to have all 3 rings and pissed that I can't have em.

If you have more then 1 job (each being a different class) then yeah it's hard to decide, but if you play mostly mages (and now this is what I don't get) why would you forfeit a ring that's infinatly more useful then a melee's novelty ring? Only NIN/MNK/SAM can get the most out of the subtle blow (and maybe THF) and only SAM can get the most out of the sTP, any other melee's can use just Flame Rings or accuracy rings.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Yes because no melee wants both STR and DEX in one ring regardless of the Store TP and Subtle Blow.

I solo with full DEX gear where I can't wear Haste, which includes 2 Thunder Rings. The Rajas ring would do wonders for me in terms of saving 2M and adding on an extra STR+5. So no idea why you'd say there is better to use for a solo, if there's something more useful than DEX or STR when you're trying to beat the crap out of something, let me know.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hirronimus
    What pisses me off the most is the fact that these 3 rings devide people into 3 classes; tank, mage and melee. That being said, why ta hell are all jobs unlocked and accessible. It seems like SE is encouraging to play all those jobs yet doesn't provide the gear to support them. I feel personally boxed in and forced to decide which of the 3 classes I am. Maybe I just want to have all 3 rings and pissed that I can't have em.
    And the great thing is that BRD doesn't really benefit from any of the rings. Of the 3 BRDs I know got the ring, I think two got the melee ring (one is 75 BRD only, the other actually had a 75 THF before she got BRD to 75) and one got the mage ring (but she had a 75 WHM).

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

From what I've heard BRD has the highest Attack in game.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Yes, because being Lv75 and getting outdamaged by a taru WHM at Lv63 with a club is the coolest stuff EVER.

Though BRD is a bit sexier in an SH, Op Hat, Haidate, Thunder Rings, Dusk hands now....it still sucks though, 18 minutes to fight a robber crab as BRD/NIN ><

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura
    You do know that the +subtle blow and store TP are like... 0.5tp (given with SB and gained with sTP). Even if you don't find them on a ring the effects are still so minimal that it shouldn't warrent you getting it over the mages ring
    Only NIN/MNK/SAM can get the most out of the subtle blow (and maybe THF) and only SAM can get the most out of the sTP

The subtle blow isn't a % on to your existing subtle blow trait, it's a strict number, so it benefits every single job in exactly the same way. Same goes for the store tp. Everyone gives the mob less tp, everyone gets more tp from hitting the mob. Even if it's .5tp for every hit, after 10 hits thats 5tp, might be enough to push you over 100 when you normally wouldn't be and get ws off quicker than you usually do. Giving the mob less tp (especially soloing as rdm) is great. Less tp for mob = fewer high damage tp moves = fewer cures = more efficient soloing.

Like it was said, the mage ring can easily be simulated by any other ring(s) ingame, if you disregard the enmity-3, which in terms of red mages is tantamount to giving whm AF mitts STR+5 and calling that useful. You can do just fine without that ring, but if you ever decide to level a melee job up that high (or be an aforementioned RDM), you'll probably end up kicking yourself.

I know storeTP and SB are numbers not percent, but those jobs actually have gear to make it more useful (I recall seeing some SB on some THF JSE) and noticable and no, .5 TP isn't going to make or break RDM solo'ing considering that RDM WS are pathetic anyway and if you can't take TP moves from the mob you're fighting you shouldn't be fighting it anyway.

Edit: So what if you can't simulate SB and sTP, the tiny TP changes aren't enough to make a mage pick that over the mage ring (someone tell me what the names are ), and if you lvl 3-4 different jobs (mage and/or melee) you'll be kicking yourself cause the MND/INT and -enmity are far more useful. I still don't get why you're leaving out the -enmity (saying it's not useful for rdm) because in a lot of HNM situations it will be useful...

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I still don't get why you're leaving out the -enmity (saying it's not useful for rdm) because in a lot of HNM situations it will be useful...
    From my experience I am more likely to get hate while getting TP before a HNM fight than during it. (Seriously, watch the next time before we go up for Genbu or whatnot.)

Other than fights where RDM stunning is crutial there is very little that a RDM can do to get hate. (Besides spamming Cure IV.) We tend to use our lowest hate enfeebles (paralyze and slow) the most, our higher hate enfeebles are either used sparingly (dispel) or nigh-useless (sleep and blind). Even if you chainspell every nuke you have, you still won't get hate because they will land for 15 damage or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantide
    And the great thing is that BRD doesn't really benefit from any of the rings. Of the 3 BRDs I know got the ring, I think two got the melee ring (one is 75 BRD only, the other actually had a 75 THF before she got BRD to 75) and one got the mage ring (but she had a 75 WHM).
    I'm a Bard and I got the Tamas Ring. The -3 Enmity and +30 MP do help, and the MND is nice for when I do Stoneskin.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Avvesione
    I'm a Bard and I got the Tamas Ring. The -3 Enmity and +30 MP do help, and the MND is nice for when I do Stoneskin.
    We all know you got it to sub BLM and nuke

Demosthenes11

Quote Originally Posted by Avvesione
    mnd+stoneskin...huh?
    Enhancing magic is only thing that affects Stoneskin cast I thought...

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes11
    mnd+stoneskin...huh?
    Enhancing magic is only thing that affects Stoneskin cast I thought...
    ROFL

You know, someone on your server told me you are one hell of a noob and I think this just confirmed it to me. How the fuck can you be a level 75 Red Mage and not know basic things such as this???

Demosthenes11

it may effect it to some degree...but not nearly as much as enhancing.
    I just tried casting on some DCs, and it was interrupted when I had mnd gear on, and then casted fine with enhancing gear. Mnd may help a bit, but I prolly just havn't noticed being elvaan.

If I was a n00b, I would not be told I do my job well =P. Enhancing magic is a minute thing which is basically only done for solo'ing, which I rarely do right now. And Killu/Rusty never even played with me, so they have no idea how I perform lol. No need for your head to explode because I didn't know something =P

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

And Killu/Rusty never even played with me, so they have no idea how I perform lol. No need for your head to explode because I didn't know something =P
    Just because you have this insatiable need to start all sorts of crap with Killu/Rusty on here doesn't mean they in turn care enough to talk shit about you to random people. Infact I have never directly spoken to either of them in my life, it was a member of IRON that told me this privately. It's hard for me to not have my head explode when I see a level 75 Red Mage in a HNM hunting position not knowing something as basic as this because it's what I hate it the most.

it may effect it to some degree...but not nearly as much as enhancing.
    I just tried casting on some DCs, and it was interrupted when I had mnd gear on, and then casted fine with enhancing gear. Mnd may help a bit, but I prolly just havn't noticed being elvaan.
    Ummm... Enhancing magic decides the base HP your stoneskin has and lessens the amount of interuptions you get while casting (this is true for every type of magic in the game, more skill = less interuptions), every point of MND will add 3hp to your stoneskin. So yes, Enhancing is kinda important while solo'ing, but when you're in a position where you aren't getting hit it's foolish to load up on enhancing magic and not MND and even while solo'ing if you neglect MND too much your stoneskin will be lousy.

As for what Sept said, yes it's kinda hard to get hate while playing RDM, but honestly why risk it? I've had Kirin target me cause I was curing the melee's, he targetted me twice and killed me with Deadly Hold then later on with Stonega IV. If you're not doing much then you aren't gonna get hate, but if you're active then you are likely to get hate more often... then -enmity doesn't sound so bad now does it?

Edit:

mnd's effect on stoneskin is seen here..
    Code:
    F1: ([Enhancing Magic Skill] / 3) + MND when X < 100
    F2: {([Enhancing Magic Skill] / 3) + MND} * 2 - 60 when X = 100 - 150
    F3: {([Enhancing Magic Skill] / 3) + MND} * 3 - 190 when X > 150

"X" is calculated by

X = ([Enhancing Magic Skill] / 3) + MND + 20
    So as you see MND is a pretty integral part of stoneskin

Demosthenes11

Thank you Elcura, that helped.
    I am sorry Russta that I did not do 5 hours of research on fucking stoneskin. IRON don't know me well either, although I do post on their boards sometimes. I helped them with tiamat once, but that was days ago...don't know what I ever did to make someone in IRON think that, but I really don't care. My linkshells see me as a valuable commodity, and that is all that matters

Handy little calculator for stoneskin, phalanx and barspells.
    http://www.max-evolution.com/rdmffxi.php