BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Melee RDM ftw!

Now that I have maxed out my primary casting skills for Red Mage (+6 Enfeebling Magic upgrades, +1 Earth Accuracy upgrade, +2 Ice Accuracy Upgrade, +2 Wind Accuracy Upgrade) I have been thinking about what merits I could get next. I could get 4 more MP upgrades (already have one) and get MND and INT, but where's the fun in that? I've been thinking about merits to pimp up my melee power since I like to spend time alone fighting things.

First off +6 sword merits. That would take my B rated weapon and put it over B+, throw in a Fortitude Torque and then it becomes an A- skill.

Second +3 evasion merits. Not enough to turn D rated evasion into C-, but still a worthwhile investment. Alternately, I could put those merits into dagger skill for dual wielding.

Third one is a tough call, either Critical Hit up or Spell Interruption Down. Personally, I think +5 Critical hit merits would be a lot more useful, since Aquaveil can do the same thing as Spell Interruption merits.

And finally, +4 STR merits. RDM STR is pretty meh to begin with, so this will help a bit.

It would be a lot of work, but I think the results would be pretty pimp-tacular. Is this a harebrained scheme? I am a dreamer for even daring to hope? Will the Galkas go wild for an attack RDM?

Relic Shield
    BG Level

What food would give me the most attack as a level 12 Monk?

Edit: This isn't a joke I really need to know.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Chief Kabobs?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Amarok

/sigh

Rabbit based food. Grilled Hare (HQ Blacked Grilled Hare) or Rarab meatballs (HQ bunny balls). Neither of those stack, so they last for 3 hours, 4 hours for the HQ.

Then you work up to sheep based food. Sheep Jerkey, Roast Mutton, Navarin, Mutton Enchaladas. I think around level 15 is when you start using sheep.

(Mystertour has all of the answers.)

Anyway, about my attack RDM...

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

Navarin rock and last long.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I personally went for Spell Interuption Rate down and did few Crits scored (totally accidental, was trying to lower crits take for my PLD... oops). My personal favorite for solo purposes and pretty much 80% of any HNM activity is RDM/DRK, so my base STR is higher that of a Hume SAM75... Elvaan Powah! I went for AGI to compensate my low AGI for other jobs such as PLD and BST.

I do merits in a true Red Mage style, I go for an all rounded char (I know I should have started as a hume, but in the end, Elvaan > Hume in so many aspects for what I do.)

Have a question for ya, it's cool you've done the number of merits you have already but are you at all interested in meriting someday a second job? To me i would consider this before doing things like str and sword skill merits. If its RDM or nothing, I'd say the sword skill worthwhile, but taking all that time on STR merits where you could merit MND might be a bit less noticable.

Then again people like nirokun have had to push me to merit at all which makes my opinions sort of weak. Currently have 2 in thunder, 1 in elemental skill, and 2 sitting on me waiting for 3rd for making thunder level 3. My own problem is i'm not sure what should be done first elemental skill or finish thunder? I'm to the point where when i see myself resist on thing like EP i go insane and wanna dump them into elemental, while the thunder upgrades i've felt are quite nice... as long as i don't resist lol.

I find it interesting you spread out merits in the RDM area i've heard a lot of people doing like all wind quite a bit. I have interest in possibly meriting RDM somday but i suppose since i'm a taru focusing on the melee side would be silly for me.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Rarab Meatballs

I can't decide if I want to do dagger or sword on mine. I'm thinking of using my stat merits on MND, but then again I think end-game enfeebling is so random i just don't care anymore.

I may do spell interruption, it helps soloing the harder stuff anyways. I'm a DEX addict so I may do DEX instead of STR.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Um... question, can I remove some of Magic Accu merits? Like I want to lower my Wind a notch and put them into Ice? (I know I'll have to get new Merits for that).

Quote Originally Posted by Hirronimus
    Um... question, can I remove some of Magic Accu merits? Like I want to lower my Wind a notch and put them into Ice? (I know I'll have to get new Merits for that).
    ya i think you can but you'd lose them, which is kinda dumb but oh wellity

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus

/sigh

Rabbit based food. Grilled Hare (HQ Blacked Grilled Hare) or Rarab meatballs (HQ bunny balls). Neither of those stack, so they last for 3 hours, 4 hours for the HQ.

Then you work up to sheep based food. Sheep Jerkey, Roast Mutton, Navarin, Mutton Enchaladas. I think around level 15 is when you start using sheep.

(Mystertour has all of the answers.)

Anyway, about my attack RDM...
    Where else was I supposed to ask you. <_< >_>

yea i do think it's very stupid to have to merit just to remove a merit it would be nicer to try and cap out a category and then adjust it as you see fit afterwards.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It'd be nice, but it wouldn't fit with SE's plan to make you waste more time. Thanks for the answer.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Tumibumi
    Have a question for ya, it's cool you've done the number of merits you have already but are you at all interested in meriting someday a second job?
    That's the thing, if/when I level a second job to level 75 it will be a secondary job. I consider myself a Red Mage, anything else I level is simply to increase my versatility. (Too much 8-Bit Theater for me.) I am thinking about PLD or WAR for my second level 75 job, so Sword merits would be nice for either (when I get my Ridill on WAR) and STR would be very nice for WAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Hirronimus
    Yes, you can lower your merit adjustments, and yes you lose those points forever.

Where else was I supposed to ask you. <_< >_>
    In an ew thread titled "Food for my level 12 MNK".

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Black Belt
    BG Level

Third one is a tough call, either Critical Hit up or Spell Interruption Down. Personally, I think +5 Critical hit merits would be a lot more useful, since Aquaveil can do the same thing as Spell Interruption merits.
    you can only get 3 Crit+ before it caps. do 3 and 3 if you like.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by layoneil
    Curses! Foiled again!

Quote Originally Posted by layoneil
    Curses! Foiled A Golem!
    Fix'D

while the thunder upgrades i've felt are quite nice... as long as i don't resist lol.
    Elemental Skill > Potency > INT

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Most times I've seen an RDM solo something that is a really tough solo they go RDM/NIN but don't attack most of the time, so INT would be better than STR imo

3 Spell Interrupt and 3 Crit is really nice. No other options for those 6 if you're thinking of ever doing a tank job, so that'd be good.

And definitely get sword merits over dagger or anything because of the Joy, and especially if you want those 2 other jobs to level at some point.

The evasion won't be too noticeable, if anything put some into MND instead for the extra stoneskin and help with cures/resist/magic defense. At least that's what I'd think for that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast