+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Computer problem & advice on buying new one..

I turned my PC off because of a storm that was in the area, and my cable went out and I was unable to get on all day, so today I plug it back in and on, and I notice a buzzing noise coming from where the plug is, this is the 5th problem I've had with this junk this month, and reformatted 3+ times, so I'll give it one try to fix it and then I'm going to buy a new computer.

Does anyone know what it could be? I've checked all the plugs on the back of my PC and they're all securely fastened, I'm afraid to open up the case because I know *nothing* about PCs, I plan on putting it on the pay per month plan if I get a new one, but I need advice on finding the best PC I can get without building it myself, and without it costing me an arm and a leg, my friend suggested Alienware but their best PC is $5000 and their other builds have kind of crappy hardware.

So does anyone know what the problem could be? Or recommendations on where to purchase a new PC?

edit: it doesn't do it all the time, off and on, I don't know if it could make a fire or what, anyone advise ._.

unless you wanna pay an extra 2k for an alienware t-shirt, I dont suggest going that route

you can get some good pre-builts from http://www.ibuypower.com

as for your problem...I have no clue

hey if your gonna buy a Gaming PC try dell XPS its a pretty good Gaming Pc alot cheapter then alienware and its a Dell.

But Dell's Customer service sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfectEnding
    But Dell's Customer service sucks.

lol its a Greap Gaming PC though trust me lol my Roomy back at Bragg had one and it made my Hand built PC look like shit...

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The buzzing noise is most likely a short or a loose wire in the power supply. Replacing it would be alot cheaper than buying a whole new PC. A good one would cost you about $60.00. Even knowing nothing about PCs, you'd be able to figure out how to disconnect everything and replace it. All the wiring is self-explanatory for the most part.

Edit, come to think of it the sound could even be something as simple as something stuck in the fan.

Dell is shit -_-; I have one :\

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Is it bad when you can't afford a Dell?

I have Alienware and it works good <.< Also didn't pay THAT much, I had a $500 rebate attached to mine <3 Customer service was fine that I came in contact to, no problems otherwise.

Dell customer service isn't even good, it's all a lie. They give you exactly 1 yearr of free customer service. No more then that. My motherboard fried and I called them about it, they refused to help me because my customer service ran out earlier that day.

Not only that, but dell PC's aren't compatible with other parts. You are stuck with dell onry shit, unless you buy a new tower which is really a stupid expense (that I had to pay).

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

dell customer service is actually pretty good.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

I just bought a pc frmo ibuypower. good pc, but when my graphics card went out the guy i talked to couldnt speak english... some how though he still got the part i needed sent, so i guess it worked out lol

The buzzing noise is most likely a short or a loose wire in the power supply. Replacing it would be alot cheaper than buying a whole new PC. A good one would cost you about $60.00. Even knowing nothing about PCs, you'd be able to figure out how to disconnect everything and replace it. All the wiring is self-explanatory for the most part.
    Basically what I told her but she needs to go and buy something new anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Orfeo
    Dell customer service isn't even good, it's all a lie. They give you exactly 1 yearr of free customer service. No more then that. My motherboard fried and I called them about it, they refused to help me because my customer service ran out earlier that day.

Not only that, but dell PC's aren't compatible with other parts. You are stuck with dell onry shit, unless you buy a new tower which is really a stupid expense (that I had to pay).
    He summed it up better than I could. In fact, my Dell completely crashed the day after my warranty expired.

With Dell, you're fucked.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

warranty does not last forever and when you buy a PC from them, you can get the extended shit for dirt cheap.

I rather have someone to scream at if my PC goes back then to scream at myself... although I've never bought a dell in my life, i've heard some good stuff about them..

I build my own shit. cheaper.

dell is a peace of shit. their laptops are all right, but the parts they use in their desktops are the worst of the worst as far as generic gets.

dells are NOT proprietary. they are integrated like all mass produced computers but dell does not use dell brand ram, hard drives, etc... They use cheap third party parts to turn a profit on all the idiots that think dell are great because of annoying commercials and retarded people who think because their dell can run Word its a great brand.

If you know nothing about building comps and no one who does you could buy all the parts offline and bring them to best buy to have them installed. i know best buy sucks, i work there, i know, but i also know that all the techs at my store are fully capable of putting together a computer from scratch. yes, you would spend probably 300 bucks or so in labor, but when everything was said and done you could have that $5000 alienware for MAX $2500.

however, as totien says, it sounds like your problem rests within the power supply. just get a phillips head screwdriver and a new supply (from circuit city, best buy, comp USA, they all have em) and swap them. its easy. you should do this ASAP because my powersupply fucked up and surged my whole comp. i lost everything minus the ram and rom drives. its not a fun part of the comp to have acting up.

Quote Originally Posted by Romero
    Quote Originally Posted by Orfeo

He summed it up better than I could. In fact, my Dell completely crashed the day after my warranty expired.

With Dell, you're fucked.
    Are you serious? My motherboard, video card, sound card, and ethernet card all died at the same fucking time...shortly after my warranty was over.

Conspiracy? I think so.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Its not a standard power supply lol

It pumps out an amazing 230watts Buying branded machines means you have to fit the bill for the "non standard" equipment.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Andarvi
    dell is a peace of shit. their laptops are all right, but the parts they use in their desktops are the worst of the worst as far as generic gets.

dells are NOT proprietary. they are integrated like all mass produced computers but dell does not use dell brand ram, hard drives, etc... They use cheap third party parts to turn a profit on all the idiots that think dell are great because of annoying commercials and retarded people who think because their dell can run Word its a great brand.

If you know nothing about building comps and no one who does you could buy all the parts offline and bring them to best buy to have them installed. i know best buy sucks, i work there, i know, but i also know that all the techs at my store are fully capable of putting together a computer from scratch. yes, you would spend probably 300 bucks or so in labor, but when everything was said and done you could have that $5000 alienware for MAX $2500.

however, as totien says, it sounds like your problem rests within the power supply. just get a phillips head screwdriver and a new supply (from circuit city, best buy, comp USA, they all have em) and swap them. its easy. you should do this ASAP because my powersupply fucked up and surged my whole comp. i lost everything minus the ram and rom drives. its not a fun part of the comp to have acting up.
    The only time I tell someone to buy a Dell is when they strictly want to do email/web stuff.. Not for video game.

yeah, if u want a piece of shit for emails and what not then get a dell or emachine or whatever.

a piece of crap is a piece of crap.