Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bankroll for lvling blm     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Even though +5MAtk is good to use, it doesn't always warrant me tossing out the EleSkill of the Genie Manillas. +6 Skill, +3 MAtk is not something that you can ignore. You're adding a good damage increase along with less of a chance to get resisted. For IT mobs, even with full EleSkill merits, Genie Manillas (or Igqira) are the way to go.

When you're in a BLM PT, fighting VTs or maybe the mobs in sea (haven't tried yet), screw putting EleSkill in slots and just go full MAtk.

Using certain gear is all situational. >.>;

Although now it looks like I play my Bard more than my BLM. -.-

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Manillas sucks donkey balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno
    Manillas sucks donkey balls.

i agree they are nice but honestly AF hands pretty much are way better until you acquire zenith mitts (given the current state of sky on bahamut that can be tough catch gir serrers on lunch break!). i recently got my zenith mitts and i sold the jse hands even before i went to Sandy to have them uncursed. I never got the hq jse so i can't say if they are for anything more than show or personal whatever if your out to get hq set. I would think most blm would agree AF1 AF2 zenith mitts. I'm excited to get AF2 mitts someday to be able to compare MB damage, i bet i'll still use zenith though.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

MB bonus from af2 hands are the same as zenith.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno
    MB bonus from af2 hands are the same as zenith.
    I'm pretty sure I recall seeing someone's test results somewhere with their conclusion being that AF2 mitts were MAtk+8 on MBs.

And, sorry, Manillas are just a personal preference. If I had Zenith Mitts+1, I'd probably go with those. But, seeing as you have to sell your soul to get them, I don't. You nuke your way, I'll nuke mine. I prefer them over Zenith if I'm XPing on Aura Statues at Ulli camp. Everywhere else... probably not using them.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

That's weird because I've tested them out before and I didn't see any difference between the two. Maybe I'll test them out some more in the future. In the meantime, they're staying in my drain/aspir macro and thats it.

There are false prophets among us,
    who bring in damnable heresies,
    and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ner'zhul

I've found Af2 gloves to be a 6% MAB bonus on the MB, which isn't too significant, I mostly forget to put them on. They are reserved for my Drain/Aspir/-enmity macros as well, and if i'm lucky i'll remember to put them on for MB, i really dont' worry about it.

I agree, Manillas suck. Af1 and Zenith are two extremely great extremities, but walking the middle balanced line you don't get half and half, you get 1/3 and a half, its not worth losing the extreme power of either AF1 or Zenith.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

There's a difference between items that add % damage and MAB. Example: Sorceror's Tonbon add 5% to previous damage (if you keep your INT the same with and without it) and is not equal to MAB+5 (MAB is cumulative). If you really want to test the AF2 gloves, skillchain the same mob twice and MB with the gloves once and again without. I would, but I don't have them.

Anyway, I agree with "Manillas suck" if you have Zenith Mitts / AF1 gloves.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by nivlakian
    There's a difference between items that add % damage and MAB. Example: Sorceror's Tonbon add 5% to previous damage (if you keep your INT the same with and without it) and is not equal to MAB+5 (MAB is cumulative). If you really want to test the AF2 gloves, skillchain the same mob twice and MB with the gloves once and again without. I would, but I don't have them.

Anyway, I agree with "Manillas suck" if you have Zenith Mitts / AF1 gloves.
    I'm still a newish BLM (Equip wise. MB is easy, duh) and trying to make notes when I can. I have both (I have 75WHM so I was able to pick up a good amount of zeniths). I'm reading mixed comments on Mitts and af gloves (ver 1, not AF2). I have the important staves, I've loaded on INT where I couldn't get something with +Elemental Magic. Dark Magic skill is nice, but it's really not a top concern. I'm hearing many different debates.. INT "caps" at a certain level. MAB is better than skill. Skill is better than MAB.. I know it's not easy, but what is the basics?

Zenith mitts for MB?
    AF1 hands for general elemental magic?
    Do the hokey pokey and see what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Okan
    Do the hokey pokey and see what it's all about?

wins the thread 8)

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It depends on what youre fighting.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Okan
    I'm still a newish BLM (Equip wise. MB is easy, duh) and trying to make notes when I can. I have both (I have 75WHM so I was able to pick up a good amount of zeniths). I'm reading mixed comments on Mitts and af gloves (ver 1, not AF2). I have the important staves, I've loaded on INT where I couldn't get something with +Elemental Magic. Dark Magic skill is nice, but it's really not a top concern. I'm hearing many different debates.. INT "caps" at a certain level. MAB is better than skill. Skill is better than MAB.. I know it's not easy, but what is the basics?
    Most MAB vs Skill debates I think only occur at the point where you can wear zenith mitts and igqira weskit. Until then, you only have Moldavite Earring and Bastokan/Republic Circlet, neither of which have major competitors for using +skill in the slot instead.

The Basics:
    1) Get +skill to help with your resist rates (especially since mages tend to be lower lvl in the party and as such the mobs are harder to them in comparison). Endgame mobs are mostly VT and with A+ skill, it's easy to get away with less skill.

2) Magic Attack Bonus adds more damage than INT when compared 1:1. MAB adds more damage the higher the base damage of the spell. So generally one might say MAB > INT on upper tier spells. They can be pretty close on the lower level ones.

There's a good summary of stats here: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/jobs.html ... 867&num=34

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

>Until then, you only have Moldavite Earring and Bastokan/Republic Circlet, neither of which have major competitors for using +skill in the slot instead.

Um.. af2 hat?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I said until 73+ (mentioning the z-mitts etc). I don't know what level Okan's BLM is.

Edit: Perhaps my grammar isn't correct, but I would think "Until then" carried over the entire sentence. >_>

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by nivlakian
    I said until 73+ (mentioning the z-mitts etc). I don't know what level Okan's BLM is.
    I'm around 64. I haven't leveled it too much. I sold my Circlet because it never worked for my nation but like.. Once. I'm really trying to save money and I'm not going all out on equipment that I won't use end game... I.e I don't have Druid's Slops unless they're actually worth getting over another piece. I already have Elemental Torque. I just need to get the Weskit and I'm fairly complete with equipments.

BLM's all about the player's skill and intelligence, too.

In XP pt, I would always thread as much damage until I knew I'd pull hate with the next nuke, then do something to finish it off. Lots of fun.