The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Well then I guess I had some shitty war tanks.

O.O

Sorry, just shocked someone said "Oh, really?" instead of "STFU I'm right you're wrong." And this all took place on the internet.

This calls for a drink! Internet BJs for Kuno all around.

Dethsbane: Ummm aren't you in LS with Underscore? Ask him, he knows his shit. He and Nny (and Russta!) are my biggest influences.

Edit - Oh God I forgot Russ! ;__________;

In a LS with tons of Plds and Nins, there arent many opportunities to tank... I kno Underscore came to us with some very good gear... Not to mention our luck with drops >.> I'm almost tank gearless. I've been conditioned to be a SC whore. Boooooooooooooo..........

p.s. I just RMT'd (lol@Hirro) a Unicorn Harness so I guess you can call that tanking gear... XD

If Faf wasn't so contested these days I'd give a try to co-tanking as MNK/WAR with counterstance, I bet that would be interesting. Absolute Terror and Horrid Roar would clearly prevent single tanking though. Faf hits pretty hard, but not really much worse than a lot of things I've countertanked. He doesn't have any direct def based WSs either.

Anyone heard/seen/participated to this being attempted before?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Nagamaki
    If Faf wasn't so contested these days I'd give a try to co-tanking as MNK/WAR with counterstance, I bet that would be interesting. Absolute Terror and Horrid Roar would clearly prevent single tanking though. Faf hits pretty hard, but not really much worse than a lot of things I've countertanked. He doesn't have any direct def based WSs either.

Anyone heard/seen/participated to this being attempted before?
    I made a Monk in my past LS Counterstance tank Suzaku once. It was hilarious and he lasted all the way to Chainspell at which point he died because the Shadowbind and/or Chain-stun came too slow. It's something you have to try and see though I wouldn't suggest it without AF2 boots.

Yeah, definitely need counter boosters to try that kind of thing. With Melee Gaiters, CCs, 2 Avenger's Earring and maxed counter merits, counter rate is pretty insane, I still need to get that stupid solo ENM earring to drop though.

Possibly one of the greatest sights in this game is a MNK Counter tanking the Hu'Xzoi Ix'Aern, especially if you Hundred Fists when it does. Its just crazy.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Sorry, just shocked someone said "Oh, really?" instead of "STFU I'm right you're wrong." And this all took place on the internet.
    I just shat my pants with disbelief.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagamaki
    Yeah, definitely need counter boosters to try that kind of thing. With Melee Gaiters, CCs, 2 Avenger's Earring and maxed counter merits, counter rate is pretty insane, I still need to get that stupid solo ENM earring to drop though.

Possibly one of the greatest sights in this game is a MNK Counter tanking the Hu'Xzoi Ix'Aern, especially if you Hundred Fists when it does. Its just crazy.
    Important to remember that counter-rate is related to accuracy as well, so make sure you don't sacrifice your accuracy gear, and you probably want to eat sushi.

references:
    http://ffxi.killvoid.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=74650
    http://ffxi.killvoid.com/forums.php?m=p ... 73497&d=30

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Does the level of mob also have anything to do with counter rate? I tanked Fafnir as WAR/MNK once as a joke (It was right after POL posted on their website about the Utsusemi hate-loss nerf), and didn't counter once (I had on two Avenger Earrings aswell). I was getting AA, so I'm sure that had a lot to do with it, but I thought I would have atleasted countered once.

And yeah, I was using Sushi. Didn't have that much +acc in gear though (Like +20 IIRC)

Unproven if level makes any difference, I think that it doesn't, directly: just higher level mobs will likely be more evasive to you.

With counterstance and full counter merits, base counter rate is about 65%, then modified 1% per counter point (Gradient parsed Spharai as +10 counter, gogo vague SE "enhances counter"). Without counterstance and merits, base counter rate is about 10%, then modified 1% per counter point, so with war/mnk your counter rate would be 12% * accuracy.

A fully-tricked out counter-tank monk would probably be at about 80% base counter, give or take. Add 5% for spharai. Then, modify for accuracy.

MNK counterstancing Dynamis MNKs is like Superman vs. Doomsday.

Question to luminaire/nny, did you merit axe or great axe? Or sword...? >.>

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

The best warriors put merits into staff!

Dagger onry.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Orfeo
    Question to luminaire/nny, did you merit axe or great axe? Or sword...? >.>
    Currently I have 6 sword merits and 3 evasion merits. Evasion for solo/small group things.

Comptemplating deleting those 3 eva merits though when I get a Fortitude Torque and raise Axe 3 times. Then it'd be like dual wielding two A+ weapons. o:

I have 6 sword / 3 eva also.

I didn't bother with axe because I don't really care about making it that much better when it's already good enough and I didn't go gaxe because it just lacks renkei utility (Darkness onry, need MNK or w/e to make lv3, etc.) and I'm nearly never WAR/THF.

Axe is also out since often I'll go with Seiryu/Ridill or Ridill/Joyeuse instead of Maneater/Ridill, just depends on mob/situation. Also even without worrying about Steel Cyc/Gaxe that much I've still done 1.5k+ WS on HNMs when I have gotten to screw around with WAR/THF, so I don't care too much about making it any better, the difference between winning and losing won't be an extra 100 points of damage on my Cyclones. Gaxe damage is mostly just getting lucky on crits/DAs on your WS anyway.

EVA helps every job in theory and I have stuff like Scorp +1 for NIN and RDM so I figured why not. Nothing else really make a lot of sense to me in combat skills, or looked like it'd make too much difference.

Ok cool :D I am WAR/THF 90% of the time and working on capping great axe (i'm lazy, its level 4). Think that's a good idea?

Keeping in mind I don't own a ridill nor do I see myself owning one any time soon ._.;

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

This looks like a decent solo gear, for the regen, I suppose.

In my opinion, no WAR should ever use Koenig Cuirass. AF1 Body has Enmity+8, HP+20, and VIT on it. Even for the big guys like Jorm/Vrtra/Tia, you need enmity to hold hate. For kited mobs, you need all enmity, so Koenig sucks there as well. For Fafnir/Nidhogg/Aspid, you want to do damage to keep hate. With WHM and/or BRD haste, you should have no problem with Utsu recasts. Go all damage, or all enmity, if you plan on tanking as WAR. Going all DEF/VIT won't do much for you, sicne WARs only have voke/warcry.

As for WAR merits: All sword for me.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Mugmug