Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PLD tanking PM6-4     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

PLD tanking PM6-4

My PM static are up to PM6-4 and i was wondering if anyone could give me tips for tanking it as a pld.
    Any and all comments appreciated. (with the exeption of "would be better if you could be a nin" )

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

lvl nin

nono okok, 6.4 is airship, right ??

just go in and do your thing I guess. Omega just tank it normally, thats what my groups pld did. When Omega goes hyper and has what seems to be 100 fists, you can either attempt to gravity it and kite it, or just counter with invincible.

Ultima we had a nin and a pld share hate. (Yes, my static consisted of PLD + NIN) Suprisingly, it worked good. When Ultima goes hyper, be sure to drop a CBB, otherwise the WS spam will fuck you up.

(If I mixed the names up, my bad)

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

We beat it with PLD/RNG/RNG/BRD/WHM/RDM and it was a lot easier with a Paladin than sites led us to believe. Just be sure to use and Earth Staff is best advice I can give. Regen drink with two hour Peaon and Elegy was hilarious 'cause it was overuling the damage being done.

lots and lots of hi potions

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by edgarfigaro
    this

i've beaten this bc twice, once with a nin and once with a pld. the first boss (omega?) is a lot harder with a pld, but the second isn't too bad because it doesn't hit as hard. the first hits hard as shit though.

just bring a ton of hi-pots and have everyone else in the group bring a ton of hi-pots. you'll be ok.

If you have a bard, dual mambo. If you don't, bat earrings + blinding potions.

With both, stock up on all the +evasion you can get including wind staff. You'll evade over half the hits as paladin. Omega and Ultima don't have high accuracy.

PrometheusFFXI

I was wondering, as a Paladin, how far would you take the + evasion gear? For instance, would you prefer the AF headpiece or an emperor hairpin that has 0 def but +10 evasion? Thanks

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Evasion work nicely for mammet on pld, not the rest

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aratharn Xiv
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by PrometheusFFXI
    I was wondering, as a Paladin, how far would you take the + evasion gear? For instance, would you prefer the AF headpiece or an emperor hairpin that has 0 def but +10 evasion? Thanks
    No.

Use AF.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by edgarfigaro
    really this is your answer, bring 15-20 of them and the win is a lock (assuming you have the damage), more than 20 if your gear sucks

after doing this a few times, i prefer PLD with hi-pots over a nin

edit: damnit, didn't see how old the question was

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Ultima is not that bad as a PLD, the problem is killing Omega, really. Its Enstun is really annoying when you're trying to Cure yourself, so get a lot of medicines and be prepared to lose some of them because of Stun.

My static has done this twice now, with try 1 being with a pld tank, try 2 with a nin tank. Both failed (I know, we suck). Putting aside all of the forthcoming flames, the important thing to remember on omega for either strategy is the following:

Paladin:
    -As kuropiko says, enstun sucks. Our pld got stunned every other hit or so and it significantly nerfed his ability to hold hate. And if your DDs are getting hit too much 'cause of this, they aren't DDing, which means eventually you run out of CCBs, which means he'll do pile pitch on your pld, which means if you don't have a backup plan, you wipe.

Ninja:
    -He attacks Fast and will bring down your shadows fast. You gotta stack on para & slow as much as you possibly can to help your nin if that's what you have. Again, if your nin has trouble with shadows, your DDs are gonna get hit, you'll run out of CCBs, get pile pitch, and wipe.

Our next try will probably be what Nynja suggested, which is a nin/pld combo, backing each other up, letting the DDs focus on DDing. Dunno if it's an option for you.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

I agree. For Omega, we had three mages keeping me going. Cure II any time I dropped below 900 HP or something. Voked when I wasn't plagued with Paralyze, had abotu 15-20 HiPotions, can't remember how many I used... Cured myself mainly during Flash.

I know Pile Pitch resets hate, but I'd probably recommend burning Invincible here and hope you get lucky - by the end of the fight, Omega was simply hitting/stunning too fast for me to do anything.

Earth Staff'd it.

Ultima was easy. Was nice having a WHM to Erase Slow, since it seemed to double Flash recast. Have someone cure bomb you after that Nuclear Waste attack, since it seemed to drop me into the red.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

We did it with Pld tank and DD nin offtank. I tried to get Dae to use earthstaff but he insisted on Spartan Hoplan, I guess he was right because I have sea now. Another every useful iitem for this is High Breath Mantle.

We tried it once as WHM/SMN/BLM/MNK/NIN/PLD and got to the third phase and lost, a burst after our final wipe would have killed it, but our blm haden't brought enough mp gear to cast burst while weakened. It was very hard like this, this was before PLD auto-refresh and also the def bonus on Ultima is pretty strong.

for our second try we swapped the smn for a rdm, and we won on the first try. PLD tanked pretty much the entire fight, I would only tank after pitch pile, or stone or any other major debuff on the pld. His accuracy was pretty bad, I would macro in evasion gear but because of the nature of my role I was using emnity items over evasion items and his acc was still pretty horrid. I was using all my debuffs even when the pld was tanking. Oh and lastly, on your first wipe, this is a good time to use your 2hour, if your going to wipe it's 500 free damage. have your rdm bio, poision it as he's going down, everything helps.

Thats about as much as I can rember, I rember thinking after our first wipe, wow this is really hard with a pld, but when we got a rdm it was a joke.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

0/6 on 6-4 currently. I am tanking as PLD with all evasion gear. Wind Staff, Emp Hairpin, Bat Earrings, Blinding Pots. Other gear I am using is AF, High Breath Mantle, BQ Ring, Eat Turtle soup before fight, Tav Taco if I die. This combination works very well and I evade roughly 1/3 melees from Ultima or Omega and sucessfully evade wire cutter and guided missle.

You might not believe me since we are 0/6 but I can tell you that in 6 tries Ultima and Omega have really only killed me once when before they went into hyper mode. Our problem is we have a 5 mage party (PLD, BRD, WHM, RDM, BLM, BLM) so if Omega locks in spamming discharger, we are out of luck. And when Omega uses Pile Pitch we don't have a backup tank and it gets crazy watching 5 mages scramble. Twice now had Ultima below 10%, last time at 2%. Some of it is just luck. For example you will notice Omega get stuck using certain abilites and just spam them the entire right, and completely ignore the others. When he spams Guided missile it sucks bad for PLD. Another annoying thing I found is while fighting Ultima using blinding pots, WHM would erase blind instead of slow. Just another thing you have to pay attention to.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

I realize the original topic is pretty old, but I'll weigh in with my opinion...

Did this with PLD/MNK/RNG/RDM/BLM/BRD, I was the BRD, after the RNG reworking. I'm gonna agree that if you think you have enough hipots, get more. Have everyone else bazaar them for 1 gil, the whole deal. They really are helpful. For that matter, so are CCB Polymers for when Omega and Ultima get low.

We didn't go the evasion route, though we discussed it - our PLD preferred straight defense. If I remember right, he used an Earth Staff, but this was before the Auto Refresh/shield update, which would both help. I gave him Ballad, and we were sure to stay on top of Paralyna from Ion Efflux. He used Invincible to counter Pile Pitch, as Omega's hyper mode is way more dangerous than Ultima's. Equalizer and Antimatter are far less dangerous than Pile Pitch and Discharger, assuming no mages are in Equalizer's AoE range.

We didn't really have any problems using a PLD, healing-wise. We found our biggest problem was Guided Missile/Equalizer/etc. raping our MNK, but once we had him sub NIN, we won pretty handily. We went 1/6, after a lot of experimentation with MNK going BLM instead, and two 1% timeouts on Ultima in a row, once because our main BLM was double weakened and Aeroga II, Stone III and Flare all did zero damage. (It was heartbreaking.)

Basically it comes down to medicines. Our PLD even burned a Vile Elixir on the winning run.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fryte Avarise
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

My CoP static way back when was mage heavy as well and we did most everything with 60cap the same way. Mobs get crazy at 20%? Tell the BLM to save mp for Flare and nuke it like crazy when it goes into crazy mode. 2 Flares and a few spare nukes and it goes down before it gets a chance to go crazy and whoop up on your behind.

Demosthenes11

lol, my pld friend leveled blm for the sole purpose of CoP missions...
    We won first try with him blm ^-^

Yvonne

Hmm, our CoP static holds the server record for 6-4 (Midgar). The trick with our static was 2 heavily merited NINs, since they could DD and tank at the same time. We beat the BCNM in just about 21-23 minutes thanks to duo tanking.

As for having a PLD tank...well I think it easier and cheaper if a PLD and NIN worked together to hold hate. Let the NIN tank the majority, while the PLD vokes every other voke and flash when needed. Sorry to say this, but this is one BCNM where PLDs fail without a few million in meds.