Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SMN questions     submit to reddit submit to twitter

SMN questions

So I have smn up to 45 now and I just have a few questions.

How do you set your macro's once you got to 51 for your staves? Should I just set a pallet up to summon each avatar and the coorisponding staves, then do the blood pacts from the menu?

Also Austere's set is expensive as hell, should I mix and match it with AF or macro in certain piece's at certain times?

I have been lucky enough to be in party's with a whm and only twice have had to be the main healer, as I get up there I know that I wont have the chance to really dd with my avatars (as shitty as they are) so do I just stoneskin, fenir buffs 4tw?

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Re: SMN questions

>How do you set your macro's once you got to 51 for your staves?

/ma Ifrit <me>
    /equip Main "Vulcan Staff"

>Should I just set a pallet up to summon each avatar and the coorisponding staves, then do the blood pacts from the menu?

I use the menu for 'odd ball' bps, I just have important buffs and damage stuff for macros. I group them together like..

/pet "Earthen Ward" <me>
    /pet "Aerial Armor" <me>
    etc

>Also Austere's set is expensive as hell, should I mix and match it with AF or macro in certain piece's at certain times?

Get the body and hat, wear them with AF pants/feet. Use wahtever gloves.

>I have been lucky enough to be in party's with a whm and only twice have had to be the main healer, as I get up there I know that I wont have the chance to really dd with my avatars (as shitty as they are) so do I just stoneskin, fenir buffs 4tw?[/quote]

Main healer with sskin/fenrir buffs usually. Leveling smn in a normal pt is the worst thing in the game IMO.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

My Macros are (even though i'm PS2 i'll put control and alt for you weirdo PC people)

(Control)
    1. Cabuncle (summon him the most) (Swaps in Light Staff, Carby mitts, Dalmatica)

2. Release (puts Dalmatica back on, swaps to Intruder Earring, Evokers Spats)

3. Assault

4. Retreat (occasionally put a /p <bt> in there if i'm pulling)

5-0 Summons - Fenrir (Each of these swaps to the corresponding staff + Austere's Cuffs)

Alt
    1. Medding (Baron's pants, Borroka Earring, Dark Staff, Errant body, (that neckpiece when I get one)

2. Cure 2 (Light staff swap)
    3. Cure 3 (Light Staff swap
    4 - 8. -na spells (Blindna, Viruna, Poisona, Paralyna, Erase)
    9. Divine Seal
    0. Fenrir (Dark Staff, Austere Cuffs)

Now, i've been meaning to remake my summoner macros for a while but these have worked for me since level 20. Some Summoners make a macro that holds all of the important blood pacts and will hit that when blood pacting. I've always just selected from the menu as you have more than ample time to do so while you're waiting for the 3 hour casting time of an avatar to finish. When I was xping I tried to get my timer as low as possible once I hit 50. A typical XP party where you get the pleasure of not being the healer will kill a mob in the time it takes to do 2-3 blood pacts. You can increase this to 3-4 with enough insane gear but 2-3 is fine.

Auster Body, Head, Hands are really important. I use the feet as there really isn't anything else to put on there as the AF sucks. Speaking of the AF, pretty much every summoner i've talked to uses the AF legs (SPATS!). Carbuncle Mitts help out a ton if you're prone to pulling as well.

As for attacking, you may get into a party where you might burst with the tier IV elemental spells for around 500. Generally, however, there is no real spot for you as DD or even as healer in any party ever that makes a large amount of sense. Once you hit level 70 and get the awesome blood pacts, i'd try soloing as much as I could, or helping people with ENM's / CoP missions and con them into ENM's as any xp you get will rock!

I'm sure that there are other stories from other summoners but my set party from 45-70 only really took me because I somehow managed to keep them alive and never complained about it. In fast parties you'll find yourself frustrated as your Fenrir Blood pacts generally make you less than half as effective as a bard. It's a selling point ot SMN on Full moon for melee parties and New moon for BLM parties, but it's still not very much fun!

Main healer with sskin/fenrir buffs usually. Leveling smn in a normal pt is the worst thing in the game IMO.
    yep. sure is.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Oh yeah, speaking of smn, I was like lvl70 about half a year ago or more and I just hit 75 a few days ago. It just sucks that much.

BG is my LJ
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lovely Nirokun
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Endo get Mycophile Mitts and swap them in every non-carby avatar summoning macro, and also swap them in on your release macro (swap in lightstaff/appollo's) thats what i do

-enmity is important if you're trying to spam cure and not die

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

You must have a really really really really really really really shitty tank if you're stealing hate on smn. I've never stolen hate on smn, only when I get sneak/tricked by brain-dead melee that sub /thf.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I like to smash my BP + SMN commands in the same Macro:

Ctrl + 1:

/pet "Spinning Dive" <t>
    /ma Leviathan <me>
    /equip head "Austere Hat"
    /equip body "Austere Robe"
    /equip main "Neptune Staff"

When you hit the macro the first time, it'll say "Error, you have no pet" or something, but you'll start summoning leviathan. Then you target the mob, and hit the same macro, and it'll say "You can't summon, you already have a pet" or something, and Dive will go off. That way you can accomplish both in the same macro.

My release macro is something like:

/pet Release <me>
    /equip body "Dalmatica"
    /equip head "Zenith Crown"
    /equip main "Pluto Staff"
    /wait 35
    /echo ======SMN BP @ 20 seconds ======

because I usually hit it then rest immediately. And assuming I hit no other macros, it'll give me a general idea of when the next BP will be ready, although with the wide use of bloodpace, I guess this isn't necessary anymore. =p

Personally, I don't think Austere is really necessary for lvling smn, as you're most useful as a cure-slave... however it is useful, and when you get the money you should get it. =p

Good luck, lvling SMN was the worst experience in my FFXI life... and I had a pre-nerf RNG static. >_>

BG is my LJ
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lovely Nirokun
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Remember those times i died in those -exp PTs? Yeah...its why i solo most of the time

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

I didn't even think of the Mycophile Cuffs as they weren't available when I was leveling SMN. Oh yeah, when you're stuck main healing, i really suggest Mushroom Stew. The -4 Enmity makes spamming cure III over and over and over a little less stressful on you.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Taku
    I like to smash my BP + SMN commands in the same Macro:

Ctrl + 1:

/pet "Spinning Dive" <t>
    /ma Leviathan <me>
    /equip head "Austere Hat"
    /equip body "Austere Robe"
    /equip main "Neptune Staff"

When you hit the macro the first time, it'll say "Error, you have no pet" or something, but you'll start summoning leviathan. Then you target the mob, and hit the same macro, and it'll say "You can't summon, you already have a pet" or something, and Dive will go off. That way you can accomplish both in the same macro.

My release macro is something like:

/pet Release <me>
    /equip body "Dalmatica"
    /equip head "Zenith Crown"
    /equip main "Pluto Staff"
    /wait 35
    /echo ======SMN BP @ 20 seconds ======

because I usually hit it then rest immediately. And assuming I hit no other macros, it'll give me a general idea of when the next BP will be ready, although with the wide use of bloodpace, I guess this isn't necessary anymore. =p

Personally, I don't think Austere is really necessary for lvling smn, as you're most useful as a cure-slave... however it is useful, and when you get the money you should get it. =p

Good luck, lvling SMN was the worst experience in my FFXI life... and I had a pre-nerf RNG static. >_>
    Why would you equip that piece of junk when you're resting? Dalmatica is a waste of money..

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

It's cheaper than vermy and the magic defense is nice as well. I equip mine when i'm standing just so i can get another mp per tic. Medding I use the Errant Body, i've found that the MP per tic it gives is steady whereas the Dalmatica's refresh depends on when you sit down.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

For most people Dalmatica is a non-existant item.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

PROTIP: Dalmatica is obsolete for SMN.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by namfoodle
    It's cheaper than vermy and the magic defense is nice as well. I equip mine when i'm standing just so i can get another mp per tic. Medding I use the Errant Body, i've found that the MP per tic it gives is steady whereas the Dalmatica's refresh depends on when you sit down.
    Cheaper than Verm? Well, even if that's the case, which it's not on Unicorn, you'd never obtain one unless you're in Fortune, Bonk, or some other JP shell. Of which, most are botting now-a-days. Fortune does and sad thing is, some of their members confess to doing it and SE still does nothing. Bonk I don't think bots, but hell, they're so used to claiming it's near impossible to beat either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mifaco
    PROTIP: Dalmatica is obsolete for SMN.
    I don't think the refresh really plays in to effect when you get armors that are minus perpetuation. On top of those armors, they usually carry some other effect better for SMNs.

Only job I see having a "use" for Dalamtica is like.. RDM or BRD..

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

YinYang Robe is a superior Item. I've just been to busy with school to go and get it. So, free refresh item that has insane BP delay reduction is superior to the Dalmatica, yes. But in my case, no. I just don't have time.

On Bismarck, a Cursed Dalmatica goes for around 5mil. I picked mine up for 3.75mil. A Vermillion Cloak goes for about 7mil or more.

Errant > refresh body for resting as long as you rest for 2 tics or more. Also, with yinyang robe now, dalmatica is really best on red mage and bard.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by namfoodle
    YinYang Robe is a superior Item. I've just been to busy with school to go and get it. So, free refresh item that has insane BP delay reduction is superior to the Dalmatica, yes. But in my case, no. I just don't have time.

On Bismarck, a Cursed Dalmatica goes for around 5mil. I picked mine up for 3.75mil. A Vermillion Cloak goes for about 7mil or more.
    Dalamatica is never on AH on Unicorn.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I don't have the Kung Fu Robe... if I did, I wouldn't ever wear Dalmatica as SMN..

I honestly never really understood why Dalmatica was best for SMN(instead of RDM) in the first place... as a Taru in Zenith, I have like... 450 HP and 1400 MP? I'm normally wearing RSE2 and BQ ring for the +HP for anything serious. >_>

It's hard for me to even think of Dalmatica in terms of money, but I totally agree... Dalmatica isn't worth the money/time/etc., but isn't most end-game stuff like that?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Taku
    I don't have the Kung Fu Robe... if I did, I wouldn't ever wear Dalmatica as SMN..

I honestly never really understood why Dalmatica was best for SMN(instead of RDM) in the first place... as a Taru in Zenith, I have like... 450 HP and 1400 MP? I'm normally wearing RSE2 and BQ ring for the +HP for anything serious. >_>

It's hard for me to even think of Dalmatica in terms of money, but I totally agree... Dalmatica isn't worth the money/time/etc., but isn't most end-game stuff like that?
    There are quite a few useful pieces of equipment.. In my opinion though, there is something that will work "enough" instead of obtaining the abjuration or AF2. Noble's Tunic for example has saved me many of times with the added cure potency. 800 Cure V is nothing to scoff at. Yingyang robe is end game and useful. Weskit? (sorry, I have only played mage jobs so I can't attest to melee useful armors).

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Does having HQ Staff's Highly Effect when Casting Summon's?