Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WAR specific merits (...wtf?)

I just noticed the other day when looking at my merit categories...you can lower the recast time on defender. Brought it up in linkshell and nobody at all could figure out a reason for this.

For those of you who don't know...defender is 5min reuse with 5min duration, so as it wears off it is ready to go again.

Can anyone shed some light on why the fuck this exists? It actually seems 61230670% useless...

Sea Torques
    BG Level

defender is 3mins reuse

3min 5min, whatever. The fact remains its instant recast.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

A lot of the time I'll use defender if my shadows are down and I'm geting hit, but then cancel it once shadows are back up (this is especially true if I have zerk up but don't want to cancel it). Having a lower recast on defender would allow me to use defender this way more ofen. Still, it's a pretty useless thing to merit. Then again drk/drg/sam/pld can merit their "circle" effects.

Xavier

Quote Originally Posted by Benadar
    A lot of the time I'll use defender if my shadows are down and I'm geting hit, but then cancel it once shadows are back up (this is especially true if I have zerk up but don't want to cancel it). Having a lower recast on defender would allow me to use defender this way more ofen. Still, it's a pretty useless thing to merit. Then again drk/drg/sam/pld can merit their "circle" effects.
    I never actually thought about it like that, so from that standpoint it might make sense...but double attack is where its at.

Defender wears before 3 minutes sometimes... it's weird. /war sometimes has a 10 second or so wait on reuse for it. Anyway Berserk timer down owns all of that 8) .

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrios
    Defender wears before 3 minutes sometimes... it's weird. /war sometimes has a 10 second or so wait on reuse for it. Anyway Berserk timer down owns all of that
    In my experience, things only wear early if you're basing it off of /recast or the menu. They sometimes fall behind.

When it wears, if you have it macro'ed it should be usable again (i also find the job ability timer that comes up when you can't use something is accurate).

I dunno, I haven't really experienced things like defender wearing early (ie not usable again once worn).

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Yeah, the JA menu is always at least 3 seconds behind if you did something with your macros. It totally sucks imo, but what can you do.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

It's for when you cancel Defender for when you like, do a WS.

With merits you could activate it again sooner.

Still stupid, yes, but not useless.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Shinryuu
    Still stupid, yes, but not useless.
    It's usless until somebody actually merits it

I used defender when i had berserk and shadows where down then took it off and used a ws. Most of the time tanking, even when getting hit i always forgot i even had Defender

I've had Defender take as long as 26 seconds to come back up after a use, without cancellation. Doesn't make sense. Server/client disagreement I guess. Usually it's 6-10 seconds to recast. The only situation this even matters on is kiting Kirin or tanking COP wyrms or Faust, nowhere else are you going to really let Defender cool down naturally.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

So much for not posting on forums anymore. ;P

Nny, I think we should see other people.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

In that case, I clame Russta. :3

Quote Originally Posted by Nny
    In that case, I clame Russta. :3
    What is 'clame,' is that British? I bet Russta taught you.

E. Body
    BG Level

Its chav talk (yes russta taught him).

I'd rather merit double attack or berserk than defender tbfh.

Double Attack ftw. 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier
    Quote Originally Posted by Benadar
    I never actually thought about it like that, so from that standpoint it might make sense...but double attack is where its at.
    I guess that does actually make sense. Retarded still though.

On the subject of double attack merits, is it just me or are they VERY under rated in the description (like crit)? 1% my ass

Would you rather it be unnoticable by having it modded by 1% then?

Xavier

It says 1%, but if you get 5% from merit, your natural double attack rate, af1 feet, etc, I'm sure it adds up. The 3% crit merits seem worthless, but after I got them, I noticed I actually crit a lot more. Maybe its a self-fulfilling prophecy or w/e, but I think its worth the while.

Double attack for me is more for Great Axe though, where anything helps that gigantic delay. Having a ridill kinda lowers the need for double attack since it basically raises it to 100%.