Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Selling gear to level a craft. Yes or No?

If I sell all my gear I'll only end up with 8.64M. Igqira weskit dropped from 3.2M to 2.6M over the last month or so, so I might wait for it to go back up, if it ever does.

My woodworking is only at 70, but I'd really like to keep leveling, but right now I only have 30k. Since I hate fishing I took the 'expensive' route to leveling woodworking and it's taken it's toll on my wallet. So this idea popped into my mind, seemed like a decent plan, right now anyway.

Aaaaaanyway, I'm open to 'You're an idiot' and 'OMG LOLZORZ', gimme some feedback / criticism / ideas!

I would not do it, why not just continue to farm with your job, do BC's or whatever you did to get your initial startup. Another thing once you finish leveling your craft and go back to AH to buy your gear back that you sold you are more than likely going to wind up paying alot more than what you initially sold it for.

Sorry if that does not make much sense its 6am and I have not slept yet.

been working alchemy forever (which ppl constantly tell me is sooo cheap) ----- im at 94 now.. its expensive just like any other craft - my advice.. slow n steady.. even if u PL and drop ur shit, just do HNMs n shit like that til u can afford it more.

all else fails?

angelskins made me a fuck load of money back in the day.
    only 700k on our server now, but still - easy money if your ANYTHING but a fucking gay bard like me.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

some reason you can't make money from BCNM/ENM?

hell at 70 you can turn a profit HQ'ing shihei.

Selling gear is really dumb, unless it's gear for a job you dont' use anymore.

Meh, I'm BLM75 with no LS. So no HNM stuff for me. Never done an ENM. KSNM and BCNM are limited 'cause I run out of seals pretty fast, and the people I do them with are usually on when I'm asleep or at work.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Maybe you could downgrade HQ items to NQ items, but I definitely would not recommend selling gear. I guess just find any items that you can make money on at your level and slowly get the ball rolling. Maybe you could even farm something for awhile if you are extremely low since you have to spend money to make money in any craft.

8.64M would probably be what it would cost you the one level from 99-100 from what I hear on others that are 100 woodworking.

Yeah if you think you can sell all your gear to get even close to 100 you are mistaken. Ryan is right it takes about 7-8m just for 99-100 alone. And if you expect to profit on woodworking you are picking the wrong craft. Go lvl something else that actually makes money.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWatermonkey
    Yeah if you think you can sell all your gear to get even close to 100 you are mistaken. Ryan is right it takes about 7-8m just for 99-100 alone. And if you expect to profit on woodworking you are picking the wrong craft. Go lvl something else that actually makes money.
    Amen to that. There is a little money to make in woodworking. But dont expect to be making millions of gil on one synth like some of the other crafts have. By the time I get the money I spent on crafting back I will probably have retired from FFXI and from my job in real life.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

That's the biggest issue with having 100 craft is that they just aren't the huge windfall of money you think they are. If you sell gear to get there it will take awhile to get that money back (alot more than you think.)

At 100 Clothcraft, I can synth about 10m a night in profits with "average" luck, nothing spectacular. Now, those 10m in profits take me roughly a month to sell at a GOOD pace. It was quite an eye-opening to me to get to 100 and then not be able to sell things as I HQ them (quite an annoying one too.)

Basically the majority of my money still comes from the EXACT same synths I was doing in the 70+ range to help me push from 81 to 100. What you're doing to fund yourself now isn't going to improve your situation all that much. I have 28 AH slots in Jeuno to make sure that I have good access to low,mid,and high markets equally.

All that really appears to happen at 100 is that the scale gets magnified. Your "bad" days will cost you a whole lot more (I lost 4m in about 10 mins before I left for work this morning, fuck you windsday.) Your good days are also alot better, but with the added annoyance of sometimes taking a month or so to actually realize your profits.

In my opinion, it's not worth sacrificing anything to get to that step. I would keep all your gear, as if you can't sustain yourself now...you won't be able to at 100.

There are false prophets among us,
    who bring in damnable heresies,
    and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ner'zhul

whats even more annoying is when you have no spending money cuz all your money is tied up on the AH for a month on those hard to sell profit synths/HQs

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Don't fish.

>_>; I won't fish, no worries there.

Don't sell your gear. Raineer is right on the money. The other day I made 6.2m in 5 minutes by going 3/12 HQ on a teir-1 synth. I'm still trying to sell the FIRST of the 3 hq's. Did I mention "the other day" is now over 2 weeks ago?

Love-God among men.
    BG Level

No way I'd get rid of your gear. I'm going to reiterate what every crafter here has said, having a 100 craft is not the end all source of money that the majority of the ffxi community thinks it is. Though you may be able to sustain yourself for the rest of the career, making that kind of money is hard work. I for instance start buying materials a few days ahead of a good moon and mule all of it. On the day of my crafting spree I spend a few hours muling all of my equipment over and items to my main (most of my synths use 3-4 non stackable items orz..) and mass synth a large number of items. In the case that I HQ a few of them (many times i don't, last week i lost 15 mil on 2 V Claw + a Weskit breaks) then I actually have to sell them. I made 3 Tactician Magician Hooks +2 the other day (2 weeks agp sup aurik) and have yet to sell one of them. My AH list also includes other expensive items which I made days ago.

Crafting smart and devoting yourself to your craft can make you the big money but it is hardly worth throwing away your job and hoping that you can make it all back later. Assuming you can even get close to 100 with that ammount of money (I doubt it) you then have to find your market, items, buyers and niche and capital. You're looking at a LONG time without your gear on a pipe dream.

Yea, that's my....7? cents.

New Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Judah
    been working alchemy forever (which ppl constantly tell me is sooo cheap) ----- im at 94 now.. its expensive just like any other craft - my advice.. slow n steady.. even if u PL and drop ur shit, just do HNMs n shit like that til u can afford it more.

all else fails?

angelskins made me a fuck load of money back in the day.
    only 700k on our server now, but still - easy money if your ANYTHING but a fucking gay bard like me.
    rofl@memory of judah soloing devil manta

Farm Phantom Worm!

And get MPK'd by silly CGF? No thanks. I was farming angel skins down there and got MPK'd by a train of spiders and raptors. I ran away and whatever and ran back to the little pond so I could get a raise from my friend and the fuckers called a GM on me and said I tried to MPK them. \(^-^)/

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I showed up to an NM camp this morning, I still had sneak and invis on. The NM popped within 30 seconds, and I voked it and popped in front of the gilsellers. Pissed them right off cause I'm like 15-2 now. 900k more for my Goldsmithing fund....I can't wait to start and get that from 3-60 and then kill myself when it costs like 6m.

If a level 75 BLM has no HNMLS, does that suggest said BLM is a gimp?

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

That or a bought account.