+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Razz
    What are you fags smoking?
    As Russta would say... "themselves!" HA! Get it?! Ohhh man I need some sleep.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

the story in FFVIII is a really good one, however the battle system sucked because you just spammed Guardian Forces the whole time during a fight.
    Only thing I ever used the guardians for was to HP shield my characters from instant or near death shots. On the other hand the attributes from the guardians that gave each character combined with equiped magic their STR, HP, etc.

I messed with it like linking weapon dmg with drain which was the shit. Equiping Holy and Ultima in certain places also were awesome. I think my Squall hit the final boss with his final Limit Break for capped hits each hit 8) . Rinoa or w/e her name was in ff8 only had one good limit and it was the invincible move with the dog howling at the moon.

My strat was with the final boss keep low hp use invincible limit break + Squall's break. Game was too easy imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Insomnia
    the story in FFVIII is a really good one, however the battle system sucked because you just spammed Guardian Forces the whole time during a fight.
    Only thing I ever used the guardians for was to HP shield my characters from instant or near death shots. On the other hand the attributes from the guardians that gave each character combined with equiped magic their STR, HP, etc.

I messed with it like linking weapon dmg with drain which was the shit. Equiping Holy and Ultima in certain places also were awesome. I think my Squall hit the final boss with his final Limit Break for capped hits each hit 8) . Rinoa or w/e her name was in ff8 only had one good limit and it was the invincible move with the dog howling at the moon.

My strat was with the final boss keep low hp use invincible limit break + Squall's break. Game was too easy imo.
    There is an easier way, it's called Aura, that, broke the game entirely.

I picked up a new RPG yesterday and I have to admit its really really good, Radiata Story's. Its slow and a pain in the ass to get use to in the very beginning. The story develops slow as well. After about the 5th hr of game play the story picks up and you actually become somewhat developed as a character.

The thing that I love the most about this is the party system. Not everyone is your friend (I wont go into to much detail to avoid spoilers) and you need to initiate conversation, help their friends, and other things. Everything is based on real time, so the hot chick will always be worshipping at the church at 3:15 in the afternoon for 20 min (still trying to hook up with her, she seems like a damn good whm). Anyway once they become your friends you can designate them to be party members. Just a really really good game and the main character reminds me of the character development of Cloude.

Anyway on topic FFVII <----- owns all FFVIII <------ is still good (the story was rich and deep, although the ending was bullshit) FFX is good imo, and 9/X-2 just blow

I just whored up on hero drinks and soloed the entire Ultimacia castle with Squall, Zell, and Selphie.

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik
    FF8's story was great, and if your brain functioned, you'll see that Junction system was nearly identical to Materia system.

Absorbing spells from weak monsters wasnt bad at all, most of the time you absorbed 3-5x of the spell from the mob, and you can max out walking from city a to b.

But I must admit, ff8's story was definatley Arty, not like FF7 or 9 where any ol' gamer can pick it up and understand.
    who said I liked the materia system? :\ that system was seriously flawed. By the end of the game every character to be uber has the same abilities and same stats virtually doing the same moves.. they seriously needed to rework it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elemmire
    FF8's story was great, and if your brain functioned, you'll see that Junction system was nearly identical to Materia system.

Absorbing spells from weak monsters wasnt bad at all, most of the time you absorbed 3-5x of the spell from the mob, and you can max out walking from city a to b.

But I must admit, ff8's story was definatley Arty, not like FF7 or 9 where any ol' gamer can pick it up and understand.
    who said I liked the materia system? :\ that system was seriously flawed. By the end of the game every character to be uber has the same abilities and same stats virtually doing the same moves.. they seriously needed to rework it.
    By the end of the game when you've accomplished pretty much everything, does it really matter if your stats and soaring through the roof? It's not like you still have a grand series of events to accomplish aside from doing the final battle or anything.

I, personally, like have my characters different though. It wasn't terribly hard to make everyone have the same abilities before the end of the game either. The Materia system needed some more limitations on it so all the characters wouldn't be the same other than appearance and weapon used. Other than that.. FFVII owned. FFVI is easily tied with FFVII. FFX was good in my opinion. FFIX wasn't that bad at all but not as good as the others I've mentioned (nor was it better than FFIV). FFV was ok but not terribly great. FFVIII was the second worst FF but not nearly the worst RPG of all time. Worst FF so far has to be FFX-2.. unless you count the complete asshats in FFXI and then in that case FFXI is the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Elemmire

If you don't count limit breaks or you equip everyone the same. All my characters had a certain thing about them that I can't remember that was different, and like marcatil said by end-game it doesn't matter anyway (end-game being emerald and ruby weapon cause sephiroth is a joke) cause by the time you do that there's nothing left, my characters never became samey even after I had like 2 master magics and 1 of the other master materia.

In 8 everyone was original to the point of what GFs you had on them everyone could do them same thing (although not at the same time) if they had a certain GF on and since you can only have 4 commands it doesn't really say versatility, actually maybe it was only 3 free slot, can't remember if you could remove "attack".

6/9/10 (never played 4) all had original characters that were interesting (maybe not so much in 10) and could do something that no one else could, which is why I like them so much, not 10 so much, too linear and Tidus was...well...

If 8 had a better story and characters I would like it a lot more then I do today, since story for me usually over comes the system.

E. Body
    BG Level

FF9 owns, it had a great DRG, nice enchant system, vivi (!) and a male mithra (I think?) as the main character. The feel to it was a bit old skool, not futuristic and gay like FFVIII's.

Also Kuja's theme owns.

Quote Originally Posted by Endo
    I picked up a new RPG yesterday and I have to admit its really really good, Radiata Story's. Its slow and a pain in the ass to get use to in the very beginning. The story develops slow as well. After about the 5th hr of game play the story picks up and you actually become somewhat developed as a character.

The thing that I love the most about this is the party system. Not everyone is your friend (I wont go into to much detail to avoid spoilers) and you need to initiate conversation, help their friends, and other things. Everything is based on real time, so the hot chick will always be worshipping at the church at 3:15 in the afternoon for 20 min (still trying to hook up with her, she seems like a damn good whm). Anyway once they become your friends you can designate them to be party members. Just a really really good game and the main character reminds me of the character development of Cloude.

Anyway on topic FFVII <----- owns all FFVIII <------ is still good (the story was rich and deep, although the ending was bullshit) FFX is good imo, and 9/X-2 just blow
    You're lucky, I wanna play Radiata Stories too, but it'll probably never come out in the UK, I should soooooo buy an american ps2(3?!) and import my shit.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Vivi > everything.

I agree with having each of the characters be different. In VII, VIII, and X, the only difference between characters was their Limit Breaks/Overdrives/whatever. But in IX, each character was always different, it was more like the old school FFs, which I liked.

And of course, there are a bunch of homages to the original FF, Zidane is kinda like a Thief, Garnet is White Mage, (check out the cloak she wears when she first appears) Vivi is obviously Black Mage, and Amarant (I think that's his name... its been a while) looks kinda like an oldschool Fighter IIRC.

And the Alexander vs. Bahamut cutscene is my favorite FF cutscene of all time.

The feel to it was a bit old skool, not futuristic and gay
    Anyone else offended by the ignorance?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

FF9 owns, it had a great DRG, nice enchant system, vivi (!) and a male mithra (I think?) as the main character. The feel to it was a bit old skool, not futuristic and gay like FFVIII's.

Also Kuja's theme owns.
    Never used Freya... Fucking DRGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura
    You're lucky, I wanna play Radiata Stories too, but it'll probably never come out in the UK, I should soooooo buy an american ps2(3?!) and import my shit.
    I saw it in my local game shop a few days ago for 35 quid, it COULD've been imported but i never noticed the gay american rating system thing on it. Plus imports are usually around 50~.

Quote Originally Posted by realraiko
    Quote Originally Posted by Elcura
    I saw it in my local game shop a few days ago for 35 quid, it COULD've been imported but i never noticed the gay american rating system thing on it. Plus imports are usually around 50~.
    Maybe i'll look it up later

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kiro
    I just whored up on hero drinks and soloed the entire Ultimacia castle with Squall, Zell, and Selphie.
    Too bad Hero Drinks are in FF7 and not FF8......

Hmm.....

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon

Hmm.....
    Wrong.

Holy Wars = PT Invincible refine from Laguna card.

You also could refine 100 Hero Drinks from another card, I think Squall.

As far as the other FF's are concerned, TBH my first FF was FF8(Beat ultimecia waiting on Hells judgement 1 hp and using holy war for unlimited limit break) I played it and loved it, maybe cuz I didn't have a biased opinion for playing FFVII first, but then I played that and liked it as well, and played 6 and 9 which both I liked. I think each of them has pros and cons. I loved FF9 ambientation and story, but that's cuz I love summons/GFs/Eidolons probably so... And FF8 I loved the story, while it is futuristic and a bit romantic compared to FF7 I still liked it. FF6 <3 is the best FF ever, enough said. FF7 i didn't like at first, but the story is just so deep...

I would recommend replaying FF8 now, at least 2 other people I know who liked 7 over 8 did it and now they like 8 more, although they still prefer 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon

Hmm.....
    They were in both.

I remember all the optional bosses they had. Ruby and Emerald in FFVII which were...impossible, Omega and Ultima in FFVIII which were....impossible, and Ozma and Hades in FFIX which were....easy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast