Base skill level is 276
    Kaiser Schaellar: +6
    Shield Torque: +7
    Shield Earring: +3
    Knight's Earring: +5
    Gallant Leggings: +10

Bringing the total to 307.

Things I left out:

Shield Belt: +3 (What is the latent on that?)
    Light Buckler: +5 (Debateable tho, I mean, Lv.40 Shield at 75? )

Apologies in advance if my research is flawed and I missed some items, but this set up still allows for a decent amount of Enmity+ gear. Can't remember off the top of my head if there are Shield Merits. If there is, how much can you get?

Also, what is more important for PLD using a shield, Parrying or Shield Skill? Obviously tanking with Staff only Parrying applies, but with Shield parrying plays a role also.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

How can it not be worth it? Shield should only be looked at as a peripheral thing that can occasionally reduce a huge chunk of the damage you take. The higher your shield skill the higher the chance you'll mitigate a chunk of damage which, for a Paladin, is everything.

Refine the question

If it kicks in as much as parrying or evasion, then probably not when comapred to a Terra's Staff. I never EXPed PLD after the shield patch so I can't really speculate on how often it would kick in on IT+ mobs.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Well, here's the thing. I've tried, Leggings/Shield Earring/Torque/Buckler in EXP PT. Granted my shield isn't capped yet, but even with 227+25 it was hardly noticeable change as opposed to without those things.

I'm just debating if I should bother investing in Shield+ items or stick to my current HP/Enmity+ set up.

P.S. Leveling shield skill sucks major Bugbear ass.

If I remember right, there is another shield with +shield skill.

I think is Master Shield, +10 shield skill.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yeah, it's level 52 drops from Southern Shadow. Missed that one.

I've heard that shield is now effective on HNMs such as Tiamat, but I really don't feel like changing from a -% physical damage setup to a +shield one unless someone else will show the merit in it. I'm even considering wearing the dreadfully ugly Darksteel+1 set over full Kaiser/Koenig >_<;.

Quote Originally Posted by Hirronimus
    I'm just debating if I should bother investing in Shield+ items or stick to my current HP/Enmity+ set up.
    You should just invest in Ninja if you really want to Tank that bad.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It's not the question if I want to tank bad, otherwise I wouldn't have PLD leveled. It's the question of tanking effectively. As for NIN, I'll wait till I have more cash to invest in it. From what I've heard NIN using full Elemental wheel and other shit, costs about 200-300K per decent EXP session.

Demetrios, thats what I'm wondering about, the dmg reduction with shield skill would probably equal that of dmg take -% if you can block attacks with higher frequency.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

yo

have you ever used your paladin against tough? even match? dec challenge? i dont even have capped shield...about 260 and most of the time i dont have any shield + eq and anything around your natural shield lvl will generally allow you a surprisingly high amount of blockage.
    the key is gettin a shield thats right for you...type 1, 2, 3, 4 will block more often for less damage - less often for more damage respectively. eventually you want a moderate shield with good stats (koenig) that will block at a decent rate for around 50-70% damage.

they key here is merits x3 = 6 + all the eq you mentioned will raiser you..

276 + 5 earring + 3 earring + 10 feet + 5 head + 6 merits + 10 masters/acheron + 7 torque = 322 at max if you didnt use any other bs eq.

322 -276 = 46 skill levels which at the later lvls would mean about 9 job lvls (without the stat boosts of course) which would THEORETICALLY make you blocking like a lvl 84 pld.

blocking even match for a lot of mobs in this game...it shouldnt even be a question if its worth it. cap shield is the new earth staff

E. Body
    BG Level

PLD/NIN > NIN/WAR

At 227, can't you skill up off korrigans/pucks? if you sub RDM and take advantage of that phalanx it'd be decent skill up surely.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

the key is gettin a shield thats right for you...type 1, 2, 3, 4 will block more often for less damage - less often for more damage respectively. eventually you want a moderate shield with good stats (koenig) that will block at a decent rate for around 50-70% damage.
    Elaborate please. How can you tell what type the shield is?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Just be like Nev in PO

[removed broken link]

Yeah. So I'm sure he can tank however he wants to at that point, bastard >.>

I don't have PLD very high, but as I've leveled it, it does proc kinda often. It's staying capped because I'm still a low level, but it seems to be blocking about as much as a Earth Staff would...which is nice because using a Sword you'll do more damage than you would with an Earth Staff, especially if you use a stronger sword or a Joy in the end.

I'd say the main question of using Staff v. Shield is the fact that with the staff you get Spirit Taker o.0

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Shit, I just noticed something on Somepage. It indicates Shield Size. So you saying that Size 1 is more dmg taken, but frequent blocks, while Size 4 is less dmg, less frequent blocks? Am I right on this assumption?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

y

yes refer to somepage for the shield size but u can generally tell by how big they are on your character.

use a big shield vs a small one say like a mage shield and you will see the difference. the 3 and 4 types usually block like 50-80% dmg but dont block nearly as often as the small shields which ive seen block usually in the 10-20% range but as much as maybe 40%. but since u havent a high shield yet use a small shield for more block and more skill ups...ie masters til u cap your shield.

hope it helps

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Well the way I have understood it so far, with Max Shield and + skill items and enough AGI. A PLD could take less damage than with a Terra Staff. My skill is only about 238 right now, against Weapons in sky I block about 1/20 to 1/25. With capped skill and extra AGI, I better I could get it up to about 1/10 to maybe even 1/5. The more AGI I use, the better my perry and shield is, so I guess it could be feesable. I would like to try it one day.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Elvaan AGI blows. Thanks for the tip tho.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

sword and shield > staff (when shield is capped or near capped, and straight tanking)

staff > sword and shield (kiting)

Xavier

Quote Originally Posted by Varnx
    lol you're funny

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier
    Quote Originally Posted by Varnx
    lol you're funny
    Hey, I lol'd at it (but then Paladin is a non-existent job in my linkshell so I would).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast