FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Real or BS?

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.htm...9504141;num=18

Please note that I can't read japanese myself and the info are passed to be from a friend living in Japan. He said this is a big news in 2ch forums right now and 50 accounts have been confirmed to be stolen as of October 22nd. Since I can not read japanese nor a computer expert, I can not confirm these information. So I want to pass these informations collected by my friend for everyone to see. Please use your own judgement whether to believe it or not.

here are the related threads from 2ch.
    http://live19.2ch.net/test/read....1129895797/
    http://archives.mmorpgplayer.com/nmz/da ... 95797.html
    http://live19.2ch.net/test/read....1130087252/
    http://news19.2ch.net/test/read....1130073619/

This trojan/spyware will run itself upon entering a certain websites which I listed below. This spyware will call for an HTML help file "icyfox.chm" and download svhost.exe running on top of windows' process of the same name.

This spyware is NOT detectable by
    Norton AntiVirus 2005
    Norton Internet Security 2005
    Virus Bluster

The following are confirmed to be able to detect it.
    AntiVir Win32:Mhtplo-31 > http://ringonoki.net/tool/antiv/antivir.html
    Avast! TR/Copiet.B.1 > http://www.forest.impress.co.jp/lib/ine ... avast.html
    Is this real or not? Some people had some very valid concerns in the thread about the validity. Has anyone heard about this?

EDIT-- Please don't click on the links, as they may be the scam to apread a virus or something along those lines.

2 members of my ls have had their accounts stolen lately with a total of about 150~170mil stolen from them. It seems to target the exceptionaly wealthy players, or those with exceptionaly expensive gear. left him with a flame ring and a triumph earring, and his rare/ex gear. one friend was hacked while logged in and tried to keep booting the hacker while his gf called a GM... they were unsuccessfull. all his shit got stolen

Edit: A jp member of my ls found a site with tools to hack accounts and steal the info not too long ago, and was telling us about it over ls chat

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

I have heard of things like this.

This is why you change your password constantly and never use the "save password" function.

A few other pointers from Ultra Paranoid Secuirty Computer Consultant Psycho:

1. Never use real words in your password.

2. Always use numbers and special characters (!@#$%é etc)

3. Always make your password longer than 8 characters.

4. Never use patterns in your password to help you remember it.

5. Never write your password down anywhere, physically or electronically.

6. Never use cookies or other such mechanisms to save your password in any form electronically. Disable password saving on your browser altogether to prevent temptation.

7. Change your password at least twice a month, never use the same password twice.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Wouldnt save password be safer then manually typing it out each time? Incase you got a keylogger or something.

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno
    Wouldnt save password be safer then manually typing it out each time? Incase you got a keylogger or something.
    It's a balance of risks. Saved passwords are always crackable unless you put some nasty encryption on it, which programs not designed to be impenetrable never do. Edit: There's also the physical risk of someone sitting down at your computer and having limitless access to everything you use.

On the other hand, if you get a keylogger, it will be detected by virus scanners/anti-spyware programs probably 85% of the time, both of which you should be running daily no matter how safe you think you are. If it discovers one, remove it and change all your passwords immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Alleya
    I have heard of things like this.

This is why you change your password constantly and never use the "save password" function.

A few other pointers from Ultra Paranoid Secuirty Computer Consultant Psycho:

1. Never use real words in your password.

2. Always use numbers and special characters (!@#$%é etc)

3. Always make your password longer than 8 characters.

4. Never use patterns in your password to help you remember it.

5. Never write your password down anywhere, physically or electronically.

6. Never use cookies or other such mechanisms to save your password in any form electronically. Disable password saving on your browser altogether to prevent temptation.

7. Change your password at least twice a month, never use the same password twice.
    Hah. If everyone followed all of those guidelines, I'm sure Square-Enix would get a minimum of 100 requests to restore a password for an account a day.
    So let's see... I don't have it written down anywhere, there's no "trick" to remembering the password, it's made of special characters, it's longer than 8 letters and it hasn't got any real words in it... what was my password again?

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

There's always a trick to remembering it. You can have gsy!beslpee and remember it. GodSpeedYou!BlackEmperorSleep

One of my favourite songs by one of my favouirte bands.

Or something like, tbink bule count one @téw

Just takes some creativity and a little thought.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Blm in our ls just logged on and had about all his non/ex gear stolen..

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Edit: There's also the physical risk of someone sitting down at your computer and having limitless access to everything you use.
    If someone sits down at my PC, I know about it.
    If by some chance someone is sitting at my PC and I do not know about it, my main concern is getting my rl-property back instead of "is my scorpion harness still on my char".

Well, I have an extra password set before anyone can get to my POL password, soooooo, I'm not too concerned about someont in my dorms getting at my account.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

There's always a trick to remembering it. You can have gsy!beslpee and remember it. GodSpeedYou!BlackEmperorSleep

that's a good band 8)

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

wow, kinda scary. Hope my shit is ok.

I should go ahead and change my password.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

i just dont log out lol

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trent Reznuh
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by mdn

that's a good band 8)
    an incredible band /hurray

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

My security system has blocked a series of Trojan attacks in the last few days... At least that's what it says they were. They're certainly not from any systems that should be trying to access my computer...

I really don't have too much worth stealing though

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Are you the person who used to have something about Godspeed in your bazaar? I remember seeing somebody with it and have a conversation with them about how good they are.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

back on topic, yeah, i botted, yeah i downloaded shit, and my account got jacked. i had about 150~ mil in equip and whatnot, and about 2 or 3 weeks before my account got jacked i changed my pw EVERY day. so if you have this keylogger or whatever it is, changing pw doesn't help. and, if the person changes your address, you're fucked. i had all the right info including credit card name etc, but my address was wrong, and SE was on the side of the thief. GG SE.

E. Body
    BG Level

That should teach you for botting.

I refuse to play my account on the PC because of all the hacking reports, so I'm PS2 onry, and will not give my password out to any friends that use the PC.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

i really don't care my account got jacked, besides the fact i could have sold it and made an assload of money. Don't tell me "that should teach you for botting" either, because i can guarantee you even if i didn't have WHOAMG vrtra vanquisher title i had way more fun than you did in game. have you tried taking knight crabs out into the lake at KA? that is one hell of a time.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Wulf, Dont forget Razz was in the strongest NA Ls in Bahamut, and as that by doing all the things BG does that no other LS has been able to do yet, he did have as much or even more fun that you. Botting is just wrong. Period.