Thread: Blacksmith to 100     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

Blacksmith to 100

I realize this is a pretty stupid thing to ask seeing as prices from server-to-server vary greatly but if you had to take a guess, how much would it cost from 0-100? If you have any opinions on subcrafts or advice on "easy" phases I'd like to hear them too. Outside of Woodwork and Cooking to 60, crafting is the only thing I've never really done in FFXI and I'm tempted to do Smithing to 100 as it's the only one that really appeals to me.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Just a ballpark figure, but i'd figure 50-60m? Mostly in the 90's.

Smithing requires pretty much every subcraft. 90-100 in smithing is painfully slow unless you have major bank and don't mind giltoss. Cost is VERY server dependant and also depends on what you choose to make.

Being a Lv. 96 Smith I guess I'll comment on this. All stated prices are my server.
    First of all, however, please note that Blacksmithing is not the gold mine you probably think it is. There was once rampant word running around that Blacksmithing was "the poor man's goldsmithing". While this may have been true once before, it caused a ton of people to go level it, and now there is enough competition at higher levels that it makes profiting with Smithing a considerable amount of work. If you can count 7 Lv. 95-100 blacksmithers on your servers, you'll have a tough time making money (considering there are plenty of others who you don't know about).

That being said:

1-50 - Hmm.. this is minimal loss all the way. I'd say on average if you NPC armor / weapons that you skillup on you'll lose 5-6k / synth, and if you have to do say 20 synths per level, let's say you'll lose about a million to get to 50.

50-60 - Excellent! People dread darksteel but it's profitable. They just don't like to break. Make Darksteel Ingots and Sheets and sell them at a huge profit. Combined with the breaks you experience, though, you'll come out even here.

60-66 - If you want to powerlevel it here, you'll put about 1.5 million into Nodowa. If you want to go slower, make friends with a high level smith and make Darksteel Breeches and Darksteel Sollerets on materials that he provides you. He can use these to try and HQ Thick Sollerets and Thick Breeches for a nice profit, without having to worry about HQing the ingredient which is complete loss.

66-73 - The dreaded Darksteel Pick stage. These cost about 35k to make and NPC for 12k. But you're SOL if you want something better. expect about 25 synths per level, for 7 levels, at 20k loss / synth. So let's say 3.5m loss. here.

73-79 - Karimata Arrowheads. If you can find a Woodworker skilling up on these arrows sell them to him at a slight discount off of cost. That way you both split the loss. Otherwise expect about 25 synths per level, for 6 levels, at 10k loss / synth. So 1.5m

79-83 - Darksteel Nodowa. 30k loss / synth for 4 levels. About 3m.

83-88 - Kanesada +1. 20k loss / synth for 5 levels. About 2.5m

88-90 - Adaman Ingots. Profit / synth, but breaks will get you. Expect about 2m loss on this stage because of breaks.

Total Loss: 2m + 2.5m + 3m + 1.5m + 3.5m + 1.5m + 1m = 15m

Granted this is the brute powerlevelling approach, there were some points mentioned along the way where you can go a bit more slowly and offset some of the loss.

Also I've heard stories about your server's prices, so multiply everything by 2 or 3 lol.

Oh, 90-100 is pretty easy its just very slow. Any of the Hachiman or Adaman pieces typically sell at break even. Breaks hurt, but you can keep those to a minimum if you know what your'e doing. They still happen, just not as much. By "slow" i mean except 90-100 to take you 4-5 months or so. If you have the extra gil to blow (remember each synth uses a 300k piece of Adaman) you could get through it much faster. But alot of these pieces are things you might try to HQ later on in your smithing career, so don't shoot yourself in the foot by crashing the market on the NQs.

Regarding subcrafts. Unless a skillup synth requires it, don't bother levelling them until you're about Lv. 85-90. Then you might want to make some profit, so I'd say in order of importance they are

1. Leathercraft
    2. Woodworking
    3. Clothcraft (only really useful for Haubergeon)
    4. Goldsmithing (only needed for skillup synths 90-100)
    5. Alchemy (only needed for Death Scythe skillup 90-93)
    6. Bonecraft (useless, but nice to have that blue 60)

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

divisortheory: Thanks once again for such a thorough answer. My main reason for wanting to level Blacksmith is it's the only crafter I have trouble finding quickly on Ragnarok. I want to be able to sign stuff for friends and I can try and make my on HQ stuff.

Yea, that's a good reason. And if you have trouble finding a crafter, it can only mean that Lv. 100 Blacksmiths aren't as rampant on your server as they are on mine driving prices down. I know of at least 7-10 blacksmiths 97-100 and most of them are fairly active in the Blacksmithing market making it pretty tough to pull a good profit without resorting to doing hundreds of synths of Lv. 95+ items hoping for Gem gear or Hachiman +1.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I went 10/22 on skill ups last night, Lv98.2 now 8)

Love-God among men.
    BG Level

rampant on your server as they are on mine driving prices down.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you the only NA smither who is even....92+? Madawc being the only other one who is even close. I can count the JP smithers on 1-2 hands too. It's probably the least populated craft on the server (sup as soon as I dinged 100 on bonecraft it was the new rage orz).

On the pure NA populous, Fairy has a lot of crafts that don't have 100 in abundance. GS (1 - Nightwasp), Cloth (0 - no known), Bone (2?), Smith (1 - Usagikun, and I don't even know if he's still around), Fishing (1 I know of, Vyloan), and Leathercraft (0 that I know of). WW, Alch, and Cooking seems to be relatively popular >.>

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

What i gathered from a talk w/ famous crafter of my server is that smithing is being destroyed each and every update, less and less things have any use in game.

Gully+1 useless now, Darksteel Maul+1 now outdate.

You can never achieve a decent tier on Hauberk and Haubergeon, so thats really out of the question (Although this is server specific, and if u have very little competition u can make some money here.. but if theres money to be made ppl will join the fun soon enough).

Theres HQ cursed and maybe HQ NIN or DRK JSE, but demand for that can never be really high.

Maybe only groove u can get is going for a Hellfire+1 build, but even then RNGs have been nerfed, and i dunno how quickly you could sell Hellfire+1.

Smithing has very few options now because of new superior added in drops or r/x gear, so you might want to consider doing a craft w/ more options.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It probably took me rougly an estimated 40M over the course of 14 months ending 2-3 months ago. I got lucky on the most of the darksteel stage from back in the day when darsteel ingots were 105k per stack and darksteel picks sold to NPCs for profit.

Some of the profitable items have been nerfed by recent updates, but I am still very pleased with the returns from my investment. You may not reasonably be able to craft your way to being able to buy yourself a kraken club or something, but you can easily support your jobs with good gear via crafting. You don't have to swing for the fences every time with hauberks/haubergeons but can make good profit on lots of mid-level stuff that may not seem that significant profit, but can add up quite a bit for making in the time you would have just been sitting in jeuno anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by deadzee
    Just a ballpark figure, but i'd figure 50-60m? Mostly in the 90's.
    That sounds about right w/ today's prices.

Quote Originally Posted by thestalkmore
    Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you the only NA smither who is even....92+? Madawc being the only other one who is even close. I can count the JP smithers on 1-2 hands too. It's probably the least populated craft on the server (sup as soon as I dinged 100 on bonecraft it was the new rage orz).
    Yea I'm the highest NA. As far as JP here's a few that I can think of that are very active in the market

Sinobu (PLed 1-100 in about 2 weeks without selling a single thing on the AH)
    Hoshinosupai
    Carla
    Jetcity
    Various
    Rocoinomocoi
    Milkboy
    Martin
    Deepsrot
    Ainsel

And of course, there are probably some which I'm forgetting.

I don't know how this compares with other crafts, but there are not as many profit synths as you might think in Smithing, and the ones that are there can only handle a very few people in that market. It's not impossible to make money in Smithing right now, it's just hard.

Like someone mentioned earlier, Gully +1 and Misericorde +1 are hard sells now, although they do occasionally still sell. The RNG nerf made Hellfire +1 and Musketeer Gun +2 a hard sell. HQing Hachiman stuff is probably lucrative, but depends on those mystery subcrafts. Kampf market is totally shot there's always 8-10 of every piece up at any given time. Would be nice if they could put about 4-5 pieces of armor/weapon that caps in the low 70s that is -really- good for its jobs.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by divisortheory

I don't know how this compares with other crafts, but there are not as many profit synths as you might think in Smithing, and the ones that are there can only handle a very few people in that market. It's not impossible to make money in Smithing right now, it's just hard.

Like someone mentioned earlier, Gully +1 and Misericorde +1 are hard sells now, although they do occasionally still sell. The RNG nerf made Hellfire +1 and Misericorde +1 a hard sell. HQing Hachiman stuff is probably lucrative, but depends on those mystery subcrafts. Kampf market is totally shot there's always 8-10 of every piece up at any given time. Would be nice if they could put about 4-5 pieces of armor/weapon that caps in the low 70s that is -really- good for its jobs.
    I couldnt agree more with this. Currently on my server there are 5 NA that are in the 92+ stage that I know about, there are also a few JP 100's. You have to do ALOT of work to make some money, and even then its only a marginal amount. A good crafting session will only net me around 2-3 Mil and then I have to wait for multiple items to sell, instead of one or two. I'm kinda running into the same sort of thing with leathercraft now... currently in the 80's and not sure if I want to take it further.

Here's to hoping SE starts caring about us crafters again, and starts giving us recipies instead of superior BC drops.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by ezikiel
    I'm kinda running into the same sort of thing with leathercraft now... currently in the 80's and not sure if I want to take it further.

Here's to hoping SE starts caring about us crafters again, and starts giving us recipies instead of superior BC drops.
    I'd say leather got hit really hard by ENM drops; most of the money HQ's were replaced by something better, and in the case of Amemet+1 and Sniper Ring+1, a few different options.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

before i sold thrud my blacksmithing was at like 85.9 or something, i think it only took me like 10 million to get there, but then again i got past the darksteel pics while they were still a profit.

Just some suggestion for the sub thing
    Dont follow the guides that's online, find something with sub-craft so u can level both crafting at the same time to avoid huge lost. or one skill up product can be used in other craft as skill up material. Wellz for instant, the best thing i can show u is for CC you can avoid the green ribbon stage which is totaly a gay lost by making gold thread to 59. That requires 41 gold smithing. so get your goldsmithing to the stage where u making gold ingot yourself, and use the gold ingot you made during skill up to level CC. This is 20k per stack gold thread profit on my server lol but that's without breaking even tho u break, it still gonna cost way less comapre to 150k per stack lost. Wellz there are many other more route like this. Another route is CC make fletching -> Alchmey make arrow head -> Woodworking make arrrow, stack it up and sell. Leathercrafte seems pretty isolated from other 4 tho so good luck

Quote Originally Posted by divisortheory
    Quote Originally Posted by thestalkmore
    Yea I'm the highest NA. As far as JP here's a few that I can think of that are very active in the market

Sinobu (PLed 1-100 in about 2 weeks without selling a single thing on the AH)
    Hoshinosupai
    Carla
    Jetcity
    Various
    Rocoinomocoi
    Milkboy
    Martin
    Deepsrot
    Ainsel

And of course, there are probably some which I'm forgetting.

Like someone mentioned earlier, Gully +1 and Misericorde +1 are hard sells now, although they do occasionally still sell. The RNG nerf made Hellfire +1 and Musketeer Gun +2 a hard sell. HQing Hachiman stuff is probably lucrative, but depends on those mystery subcrafts. Kampf market is totally shot there's always 8-10 of every piece up at any given time. Would be nice if they could put about 4-5 pieces of armor/weapon that caps in the low 70s that is -really- good for its jobs.
    Sup kal, anyways according to the interview with Sundi the new expansion is mostly for soloing and low level crap. One could be lead to believe there would be new recipes and new gear for this expansion that maybe we could profit off of, well at least for teh first week until the market is completely flooded and destroyed.=P