Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Connection Problem (EDIT: Why does a faster connection suck?

Wasn't sure whether to put this in General Chat or here, but I guess since it only happens to FFXI, this'll do fine.

I just upgraded my internet connection from "B" to "G". It's a Linksys wireless connection. I'm not to sure on the details of it, but it's supposedly faster. Anywho, when I log into FFXI now, I get the red dot next to my name after about 3 minutes of being logged in. My connection in the upper-right hand corner stays at 100% though.

I'm not sure why it's doing this. I can surf the internet fine, but FFXI keeps crashing and I have to go to CoP 2-3 tonight.

If anyone has had similar experiences with this or know how to help me fix it, any help would be appreciated.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

most regular internet connections arent going to hit the cap on an 802.11b wireless system, so upgrading to a G isnt going tomake you any faster

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

go into your router settings and change the the wireless channel (frequence) it runs on. fixed my borthers problem on his comp. But, if you want my honest opinion, run a 100footer to your computer room 8)

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The Linksys routers "B" and "G" have nothing to do with connection speed. You're now using a router tuned to the IEEE 802.11g standard as opposed to IEEE 802.11b. G is not necissarily better than B, it's just tuned to travel longer distances. So if you're transmitting from one room to another, you may want to go back to B (or buy a high gain antenae, which run about $50.00), since it's tuned to pass through solid objects such as walls without sacrificing signal strength.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

I think the default for most routers is either 6 or 11, I've never had a problem with either, i'd go with the above suggestion perhaps.

Guess I should have replied earlier

I had to turn off my windows firewall. T'was kicking me out for some reason.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

That shouldn't affect it. You can allow certain programs to bypass the firewall, it's a setting somewhere in the firewall config. I don't remember where exactly, it's been a while since I've had to mess with that.