+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Venting some frustration.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

90ANG/45MEX IMO
    BG Level

Venting some frustration.

This is me just venting some frustration over one class that has taken over my life for the pass 14 weeks.
    Thank you USI for being so understanding towards student needs that you would allow such teachers who give 4+ hours of homework per night per class to continue working. Thank you for allowing them to purposely find every way to deduct points to student grades that a few hard working students become flustered, frustrated and begin to lose hope in ever passing the course. Thank you for having math classes that require more writing than any writing and literature classes that I have ever taken. Thank you for having teachers who can smile and look you straight in the eye as they tell you how worthless and incable you are and to top that off, smile as they tell you that you may have no choice but to have them again. Thank you for noticing that a class that began with 35 students now only has 7. Once again, thank you for the 4 hours of homework I have each night for this one class which will get destroyed in red ink after I hand it in. Oh and thank you for letting this class, which already has a 4hr per night load of homework, include a 6 week project in which I need to write a daily journal. Thank you for understanding that at the end of this semester, I may never want to be in the same area as the professor. And thank you for allowing my sanity wither away as I continously struggle to insure my grade.

Thank you for reading, time to go hate my life.

Someday I will rid the world of math!

I'm sorry. Good luck and hang in there.

Umm, idk what to say. Welcome to college? In one of the senior level math courses I took, I had 1 problem that took me over 30 hours to solve. Granted, I was the only person in the class who solved it, but still. Spend your frustration time going to some of the (I'm sure) ample learning support services your university provides and get some help with your shit if it's that hard.

College isn't a time to fuck around and whine about how much work you have, it's a time to take care of business. If you do, you'll learn a lot of shit, and the fact that your grade will reflect that is a mere side effect. Conversely if you don't, you won't learn anything and your grade will suck, and you'll get pissed off because you'll be one of those people who think an A should be given to you a) because you're you, and b) because you didn't completely blow off the course. But in reality, A's are only given to those who go above and beyond the call of duty, who don't crumble under pressure, who get shit done at all costs, and who actually learn stuff in the course.

Not trying to be a dick, but wake up. It only gets worse.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by divisortheory
    Umm, idk what to say. Welcome to college? In one of the senior level math courses I took, I had 1 problem that took me over 30 hours to solve. Granted, I was the only person in the class who solved it, but still. Spend your frustration time going to some of the (I'm sure) ample learning support services your university provides and get some help with your shit if it's that hard.

College isn't a time to fuck around and whine about how much work you have, it's a time to take care of business. If you do, you'll learn a lot of shit, and the fact that your grade will reflect that is a mere side effect. Conversely if you don't, you won't learn anything and your grade will suck, and you'll get pissed off because you'll be one of those people who think an A should be given to you a) because you're you, and b) because you didn't completely blow off the course. But in reality, A's are only given to those who go above and beyond the call of duty, who don't crumble under pressure, who get shit done at all costs, and who actually learn stuff in the course.

Not trying to be a dick, but wake up. It only gets worse.
    Could not have said it better myself, Architechture is the same way. Its sucks but we feel your pain Blazer. Just be glad you dont have to pull some of the weekends I have pull come finals time. After about 4 days of no / extremly minimal sleep , you start to halucinate, its pretty cool actually.

College: The main reason why I quit FFXI.

My Algebra grade in just 3 weeks has soared from a 49 to a 70 4tw!

I know how the time to write research papers and essays and actually have them completed 4tw.

I'm also the top student in my computer concepts class now because:
    A. It's easy stuff to do (word, excel, PPT)
    B. I actually do the homework now.

I know it may be tough at first, but just step away from the games and save them for winter/summer breaks (assuming you still play or were posting that because you don't have time to play anymore)

It's a small price to pay to get yourself an education and a good-paying job once you're done. Yeah, my week is usually boring and swamped with homework, but i make it a point to have at least one day off, so I choose Saturday to do whatever i want, and sometimes Sunday if all my work is done. Sounds like you have way more to do than me though. I am a freshman after all ;-; but I'm also completing my high school stuff too, so it's tough, 7 classes

Just realize the sense of accomplishment you will get from passing this class will probobly overshadow any hard times your going through at the moment.

Bite the bullet and git'er done

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Hang in there Blazer, complain when you have to stay AT SCHOOL working on projects. ::Stares at the instrumentation lab:: I HATE YOUU!!!!!!!

Whew ok now that's out of my system, just enjoy it, it will only get harder, but ull learn more than u ever did in 12 years of elementary, junior high and high. :O

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Blazer, what you have to realize is that some professors are very bitter people who once got beat up by the Chess Club. So now they take out their frustrations on everyone, and the college won't do anything because they have tenure.

I had a teacher like that when I was in 9th grade. He bragged that he was in Mensa and that he could be a professor at an Ivy League University or teaching an en expensive private Academy, but instead he decided to in a Junior High and people should be grateful for it. It took me some time to realize that he taught there not because he wanted to, but because he enjoyed being smarter than a room full of 15 year-olds that he could talk down to. No private Academy would have allowed him to berate students because they didn't live up to his standards of excellence, so he had to teach in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania.

Once you realize that you professor is simply envious of his students because they have the potential to not waste their lives in the manner that he undoubtedly has, your hours of homework will seem a little more rewarding.

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    Once you realize that you professor is simply envious of his students because they have the potential to not waste their lives in the manner that he undoubtedly has, your hours of homework will seem a little more rewarding.
    Actually this is pretty silly. Anyone who is a professor already has a PhD, so I find it a rather large stretch to say that they have wasted their lives. It really depends how you define wasting a life. If you think any life which does not have a job which pays over $100,000 a year is wasted, then I suppose most professors would be wasted lives. However, people who think that way also happen to be very shallow. Most professors have a plethora of options available about what they want to do with their lives, many times involving 6-7 digit salaries. But they choose to be professors either becuase they like to teach, or because they like to research. Either way, they are following their dream (and succeding), so I personally fail to see how their lives have been wasted.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by divisortheory
    Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    Actually this is pretty silly. Anyone who is a professor already has a PhD, so I find it a rather large stretch to say that they have wasted their lives. It really depends how you define wasting a life. If you think any life which does not have a job which pays over $100,000 a year is wasted, then I suppose most professors would be wasted lives. However, people who think that way also happen to be very shallow. Most professors have a plethora of options available about what they want to do with their lives, many times involving 6-7 digit salaries. But they choose to be professors either becuase they like to teach, or because they like to research. Either way, they are following their dream (and succeding), so I personally fail to see how their lives have been wasted.
    Success in one's career and success in one's personal life are two vastly different beasts. For example, if one forgoes one's personal relationships to have that $100,000 a year job.

90ANG/45MEX IMO
    BG Level

Well, I'm one of the few students left in the class and I think I'm still doing fairly well on it. My main complaint was the teacher's attitude in general. Here's a perfect example:
    -Sunday morning Kentucky and parts of Southern Indiana were hit by a devasting tornado over 120 people were injured, about 23 people were killed, and a few people are still missing in the rubble.
    -Now Evansville, where the university is, is about 30 minutes away from the affected areas and countless students and staff have been in one way or another affected by this tornado.
    -One of my good friends called the teacher, because we had a test on monday, to explain to what happened. My friend's uncle's house was completely destroyed and her house had no power, the roads leading out of her neighborhood had been closed due to the devastation and she had no way of getting to the school.
    -The teacher's response was this, "well, if you can't make the 9am class, you can come to my 10am class.

Is it so hard to show some compassion? My friend has gone through hell over the weekend and is still expected to show up the day after and take a damn test that can easily be given to her another day. What has our society come to when you have teachers who are so emotionally detached that they can spare no consideration or understanding. Oh and my friend couldn't come to take the test, and now will probably have to retake the course because getting no grade on 1 exam would drop her average significantly.

Both of us worked hard this semester, she probably worked even harder than I for her grade and now because of a tragic event she may be forced to retake the course. That just pisses me off.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer
    Well, I'm one of the few students left in the class and I think I'm still doing fairly well on it. My main complaint was the teacher's attitude in general. Here's a perfect example:
    -Sunday morning Kentucky and parts of Southern Indiana were hit by a devasting tornado over 120 people were injured, about 23 people were killed, and a few people are still missing in the rubble.
    -Now Evansville, where the university is, is about 30 minutes away from the affected areas and countless students and staff have been in one way or another affected by this tornado.
    -One of my good friends called the teacher, because we had a test on monday, to explain to what happened. My friend's uncle's house was completely destroyed and her house had no power, the roads leading out of her neighborhood had been closed due to the devastation and she had no way of getting to the school.
    -The teacher's response was this, "well, if you can't make the 9am class, you can come to my 10am class.

Is it so hard to show some compassion? My friend has gone through hell over the weekend and is still expected to show up the day after and take a damn test that can easily be given to her another day. What has our society come to when you have teachers who are so emotionally detached that they can spare no consideration or understanding. Oh and my friend couldn't come to take the test, and now will probably have to retake the course because getting no grade on 1 exam would drop her average significantly.

Both of us worked hard this semester, she probably worked even harder than I for her grade and now because of a tragic event she may be forced to retake the course. That just pisses me off.
    Thats when its ok to burn his fucking house down and shit inside his car.

E. Body
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Heian

Thats when its ok to burn his fucking house down and shit inside his car.
    In the voice of the bunny in Donnie Darko:

"Now you know where he lives....

....burn it to the ground..."

Relic Shield
    BG Level

shit in his car

lmao

haha.. you think if you really burned down his house.. he'd make it to his 9am class? Or do you think he'd just be there for his 10am class? XD!!

90ANG/45MEX IMO
    BG Level

She'll make it on time, it could be a blizzard outside during an earth quake and she'll be there ready to take attendance at exactly 9am. She's the only teacher this semester who has not been late, let the class out early, or been absent. She even ran a marathon one night and was in class by 7am making up a quiz. I believe she's on crack or atleast some form of drugs.

Why dont you just drop the course and pick another teacher if it is so hard. I know its pretty late now, but I mean from the beginning?

90ANG/45MEX IMO
    BG Level

Its a required course for my major and she's the only one teaching it. Yup it sure does suck and it's so awesome when she announces at the 8th week, " I know some of you are struggling in the class and may decide to drop it, although this course will be offered again, (smiles to the class) I am the only one teaching it."

Now the alternative would be to take a slightly different course which would place me at a different scale and add 7 more classes into my lap, which translates atleast 2 more semester of college which is needless. I will enjoy my freedom in 4 weeks, I have convinced my friend to speak to the department head about her case, hopefully the head will step in or do something to help.

Its a required course for my major and she's the only one teaching it. Yup it sure does suck and it's so awesome when she announces at the 8th week, " I know some of you are struggling in the class and may decide to drop it, although this course will be offered again, (smiles to the class) I am the only one teaching it."

Now the alternative would be to take a slightly different course which would place me at a different scale and add 7 more classes into my lap, which translates atleast 2 more semester of college which is needless. I will enjoy my freedom in 4 weeks, I have convinced my friend to speak to the department head about her case, hopefully the head will step in or do something to help.
    Dang that sucks, I'm assuming you go to a smaller school thats why only that 1 teacher teaches that class?

Wow, what class is this exactly?