+ Reply to Thread

Thread: computer issue     submit to reddit submit to twitter

computer issue

ive been having an issue with my my screen just going blank. out of no where while im doing anything, my screen will just go black. the light shows its on(not flashing). i was thinking maybe it was my vid card, but besides the fact its only 2 months old and can be fixed by turning the monitor on and off, that makes me think it may be the monitor. but i just want to make sure. anyone have any ideas?
    the way it shuts off is not normal. i know its not power saving mode or software related type issues.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

borrow a friends monitor or take your machine over there, if it does it, its the video card, if it doesnt, its the monitor

i was thinkin it could be the vid card, but if it was, turning off the monitor and turning it back on wouldnt fix that

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

what brand video card is it, meaning ati or nvidia

ati....and yes, i tried updating drivers. the card is 2 months old...if that

ati x700pro

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

ahhh, ok, i bet its the (crap im at work and forgot what its called ><) but theres a "protection" type thingy in the ati control center, its like the last tab down, before the overdrive tab i think, try turning that off (ill update with the name when i get home from work in about an hour or so)

if that doesnt do it, you might want to check your fans, if your not getting enough air moving through the card may be over heating causing the card to stop cause of that tab i mentioned earlier

finally if all else fails, you might want to try turning the clock speed of the card down, i was having the same issues with my x800xt pe, but i overclocked the fuck out of it and basically its barely hanging on for dear life now, i have to majorly underclock to to run stable (rma will happen when i can afford a replacement card to make do with till i get the replacement, 2 months without ffxi is not gonna happen lol)

if it were the video card, simply turning the MONITOR off and on wouldnt fix it
    and all 5 of my fans are on and running

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

actually turning the monitor on and off could get it working again cause of what the card is doing, the card is basically turning off and reseting itself, but with the game running and the way monitors work the monitor might not kick back in so turning it on and off will kick it back on

as for the fans, they may be running, but check them for dust, i myself did some system main. about a week ago, after cleaning out the dust from my case, cpu and gpu fans, i was able to drop my cpu temp from about 50 degrees celcius to about 42, and my gpu went from about 80 >.> all the way down to a cool 40 degrees (and cause my fans kick into overdrive when things get hot, in dynamis my gpu temps drop to about 38 lol)

now im not saying "this is the problem without a doubt" but its a possibility

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Surealistic
    actually turning the monitor on and off could get it working again cause of what the card is doing, the card is basically turning off and reseting itself, but with the game running and the way monitors work the monitor might not kick back in so turning it on and off will kick it back on

as for the fans, they may be running, but check them for dust, i myself did some system main. about a week ago, after cleaning out the dust from my case, cpu and gpu fans, i was able to drop my cpu temp from about 50 degrees celcius to about 42, and my gpu went from about 80 >.> all the way down to a cool 40 degrees (and cause my fans kick into overdrive when things get hot, in dynamis my gpu temps drop to about 38 lol)

Your sig. 4TW!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Surealistic

cpu temp is at 58 degrees celcius
    sys temp is 50degrees celcius
    also, most times, the monitor just goes out. but remind you, this is not always. sometimes it distorts then ends up going out. kinda like it gets a real bad picture. it kinda flickers like its switching modes and gets stuck on a bad resolution. ive had it get stuck on one of those "bad resolution" and turn the monitor off and on to get it "unfucked"
    also, when i was checking the temps of the puter, the display fucked up. (while i was still in the bios)

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

ok, first off your sys temp is about 20 degrees too hot lol, should be around 35 max no matter what, your airflow going through your case is fucked somehow

secondly what kind of cpu you got, if its intel, your cpu temp is fine (kinda high for my liking, but its alright) if its amd athlon xp its REALLY high (i got a athlon xp 1800, supposed to be clocked at 1.5ghz, clocked at 2.4ghz and im no where near that temp under full load), if its athlon64 again its fine but kinda high for my tastes

finally if its doing that in the bios, then im guessing its either a. temps are fucked causing your card to go bonkers in the bios, or b. (im leaning towards this one) your monitor is fucked

hope i could help some

my case temp atm is 49-50 and cpu temp is 57 steady. meltdown temp for my processor (amd athlon xp 2800) is 85 degrees.
    from what i know, if temp was being an issue for it, it would be a constant issue until i let the computer sit and cool off. its going to be like an over heating car. (if you have experienced that b4) an overheating car will sputter and do all kinds of wierd shit till you let it sit and cool down. its probably is a bit of a high temp and will end up cleaning the heatsink because i know its been a while since ive opened the case. this will give me a reason to go get a new nice monitor anyhow if a new monitor doesnt solve it, then ill just bring back the monitor.

i just got done cleaning out the heatsink and the cpu temp is sitting steady at 49 and case temp is 41. my case needed it anyhow.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I've got a similar issue with my laptop.

ATI radeon 9000
    P4 (3.2GHz)
    896 DDR RAM

Whenever I try to load anything graphicly intense (motionless images are fine, things such as FFXI, DVDs, flash games, etc. are the problem) they run ok for like 5 minutes, but then it crashes and I can't reboot it for about 10~ minutes.

Sounds like a cooling issue I know, but it isn't. I've got an aluminum ported base with two 4inch fans mounted in on it.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

lol, its heating issues, radeon 9000 is the bare minimum for ffxi

ya, yours is more than likely a heat issue. as for mine. i left my machine off all night. turned it on and as soon as it got to the splash screen, my picture went out. the temp at the time it got to the desktep was 41 degrees. so, it looks like ill be getting a new monitor