Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Melee Summoner
    BG Level

how long can your mage tank byakko?

Well, given the recent influx of noobs to this forum and noob topics, i decided to put in a slightly more interesting topic, interesting at least to me... (i'm bored to death at work)

My LS was sky farming/sky gods a few nights ago (we dont farm often these days) and decided to fight byakko with 2 ninjas, no brd and whoever was left awake on the LS at 5am (a bunch of blms).
    Most mages were half asleep with very good reason (5am) so all of a sudden byakko cyclone claws and takes one of our 2 nin tanks down to 50 hp. Our primary healer was a rdm who spent roughly 2000 mp on cure 3 and 4's.
    After mr. ninja's hp falls to 50, and that very second, our rdm Chainspell stun and cure IV twice and naturally draws aggro, either from 2x chainspelled cure IV or spending 2000 mp on cure IIIs and IV prior to that, i dont know. He now has low mp and has massive aggro but proceeds to tank byakko nicely and virtually unscathed for 10-15 seconds with chainspell stoneskin and blink before the second tank manages to get aggro back. I'm sure at the rate he was going he could have tanked byakko for the entire duration of his SP.
    Anyone else know a mage who have successfully straight up tanked byakko for that long without losing hate hehe...

And on a similar note, we of course were desperate to keep 2 ninjas alive cuz i sort of thought we couldnt win without 2 tanks...
    Is it possible for a single ninja to reliably tank byakko?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

Re: how long can your mage tank byakko?

Quote Originally Posted by Chidorii
    Is it possible for a single ninja to reliably tank byakko?
    Anything that has triple attack, instant cast Diaga and instant cast Holy could never be reliably tanked by one person. I just don't think it's possible to get the balance between evasion, enmity, haste, evade and damage reduction right to survive and keep hate without getting supremely lucky.

And not to seem like a dick but a Red Mage spamming Stoneskin on Chainspell for thirty seconds to survive really doesn't impress me too much. I'll admit it's cool to see but had I been there I'd have found it cooler to see the Red Mage had the Ninja not gotten hate back .

Sea Torques
    BG Level

i tanked the shit out of it, but i'm absolutely amazing and probaby the best ffxi player across all servers, so don't get too upset if your ninjas can't

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

ah, but one tricky thing about spamming stoneskin and blink you may not realize is...
    it's like spamming utsesumi: Ni and ichi.
    While blink will override existing blinks, stoneskin will not.
    When fighting someone that:

has triple attack, instant cast Diaga and instant cast Holy
    And lets not forget how fast Byakko attacks, you will need to recast stoneskin every other second especially for a taru rdm that takes around 2-300 dmg / hit (even with -30% dmg), and recast blink in between.
    Stoneskin will absorb one or 2 full hits but not dissapear, hence if you recast it without cancelling, it will not take effect and the third hit will rape you through stoneskin.
    And it just goes to show how many hits the rdm had to successfully absorb (without losing any hp) in order to shed that much hate for the ninja to get hate back... (after 2000 mp of cure 3 and 4 and chainspell 2x cure 4 on a tank)... could have been 20-25 seconds of tanking i didnt want to exaggerate anything
    But anyhow, I guess it's no biggie... i'm bored say something interesting

Something interesting:

This isn't fucking allakhazam. Now get on with life.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Genosync
    Something interesting:

lol

I think i must have been a hermit living in a cave prior to ffxi.
    I never bothered talking to the dumbasses in my high school or college and no one like that exists where i work.
    In the first year or so i've been playing ffxi a lot of things surprised me. People said a lot of stupid things and did stupid things i never thought a human being was capable of. I thought that only existed on tv shows like Jackass which is surprisingly entertaining.
    But now, after play for over 2 years (since the october release?) I realize people like you do exist and continue to amuse me everyday. This is part of the reason i visit forums every day. And yes, i frequent allakhazam.
    Thanks to people like you, you have broadened my narrow perspective of just how retarded a member of society can be.

Quote Originally Posted by mdn
    i tanked the shit out of it, but i'm absolutely amazing and probaby the best ffxi player across all servers, so don't get too upset if your ninjas can't

Demosthenes11

you forgot stun in there Russta <.<

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Chidorii
    Quote Originally Posted by Genosync
    Something interesting:

lol

I think i must have been a hermit living in a cave prior to ffxi.
    I never bothered talking to the dumbasses in my high school or college and no one like that exists where i work.
    In the first year or so i've been playing ffxi a lot of things surprised me. People said a lot of stupid things and did stupid things i never thought a human being was capable of. I thought that only existed on tv shows like Jackass which is surprisingly entertaining.
    But now, after play for over 2 years (since the october release?) I realize people like you do exist and continue to amuse me everyday. This is part of the reason i visit forums every day. And yes, i frequent allakhazam.
    Thanks to people like you, you have broadened my narrow perspective of just how retarded a member of society can be.
    lol chid, there are a bunch of ass-clowns that like to post on these forums.
    Hope the ls is moving along well.

ratonlaveurlol

7 secs

There are false prophets among us,
    who bring in damnable heresies,
    and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ner'zhul

Ban pls.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

lol i remember that Byakko...

But yeah, Chainspell stoneskin/blink is actually a pretty easy technique, since you instantly cast, and any mage worth his/her salt knows how much HP their stoneskin has.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

i thought this guy was banned

You fucking fail misterbob

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

IP BAN posthaste.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I've seen a NIN solo tank an entire Byakko and do it quite nicely. It can be done it just relies a lot on a very good support team and a bit of luck.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

My first ever Byakko, well over a year ago, before the shield nerf.

I was in sky as WHM/DRK (used to use that a lot to screw around, was kinda funny). Somehow I pulled hate, probably from Cure IV spam...

Byakko immediately charges me and proceeds to Triple Attack me...

Francisco's shield skill rises 0.5 points.
    Francisco's shield skill rises 0.5 points.
    Francisco's shield skill reaches 168!
    Francisco blocks Byakko's attack with his shield.
    Francisco parries Byakko's attack with his weapon.
    Francisco blocks Byakko's attack with his shield.

Don't you have to be engaged to parry? <_<

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

pwned

LazyShell
    BG Level