Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

FFXI's PS2 foundation will DOOM IT!

http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/2048/img099hl.jpg

http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/8519/img115tp.jpg

http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/416/img129xh.jpg

~VS~

http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/9571/wow29ly.jpg

[removed broken image]

If Final Fantasy XI being based off of the PS2 results in such horrible inhibitions of the graphics engine, then maybe WoW should switch consoles. 8)

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

You ever stop to think Blizzard wasn't aiming for top-notch graphics?

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

WoW graphics kinda of remind me of PSO graphics, sort of cartoony gone wrong, how people can say it looks better than FFXI is beyond me -.-

And god, for a what 2.5 year old game? ... FFXI still looks a lot better than a lot of newer games to the market.

Old Merits
    BG Level

yea WoW looks horrible imo

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Have you played both games? It feels like you are in WoW, the world surrounds you as you play. I've never felt that playing FFXI.

While I like the graphical style of FFXI, WoW feels bigger. When you are in a forest, it feels like you are in a forest. Even though Zi'tah looks nice, it doesn't feel you are a part of it since most of it is raised 3 feet above the floor.

You ever stop to think Blizzard wasn't aiming for top-notch graphics?
    Or a game that looked like it was made in the past 5 years? Like I said there's artistic style, and then there's just basically giving your customer a half-assed package. Can you guess which one Blizzard gave us?

Have you played both games? It feels like you are in WoW, the world surrounds you as you play. I've never felt that playing FFXI. While I like the graphical style of FFXI, WoW feels bigger. When you are in a forest, it feels like you are in a forest. Even though Zi'tah looks nice, it doesn't feel you are a part of it since most of it is raised 3 feet above the floor.
    FFXI usually has quality over quantity, I assume there's a limit to how large they can make a zone, due to the detail they put into a zone and the limitation of the PS2. Perhaps they intend on fixing that with pictures like this.

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/aht...mgs/img_02.jpg
    http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/aht...mgs/img_03.jpg

FFXI has its flaws, but ALOT of them are due to balancing the large PS2 audience which makes up most of their core player base, and again trying to push the envelope in every possible way they can. I think SE is listening in their own way, and I think everyone will be very surprised with what will be coming up soon in the months to come.

Re: FFXI's PS2 foundation will DOOM IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Lockecole
    If Final Fantasy XI being based off of the PS2 results in such horrible inhibitions of the graphics engine, then maybe WoW should switch consoles. 8)
    Yes, WoW's graphics, intended to get 60 FPS on a pentium 3, are shit, it feels like I'm playing a Quake 2 mod. FFXI are an awesome achievement for what can be run on a PS2, but unless they go with a different code stream for PCs (they won't) then FFXI is going to look pretty dated with the next generation of MMORPGs hits. Games that start taking advantage of the X1800 and 7800 are going to make FFXI look bad (and WoW even worse.)

Relic Shield
    BG Level

And you shouldn't hotlink half the pictures on the playonline site.

Not this conversation again.
    You either like the WoW graphics, or you don't. Simple as that. Now shut the fuck up.

PS. We seriously need one of them dead horse smilies here.

Xavier

Uh...going to call you out on this lmfao.

Those are rendered pictures using extremely detailed graphics.....anybody can make a game look great before you add in all of the player/mob models. Your thread topic also implies those ss were generated by the ps2, which while possible to create images like that, would NEVER be capable of graphics that good in an actual game environment.

[removed broken image]

olala, cartoony style of grahics but fairly well detailed

Stop trying to make it sound like the ffxi ps2 is so amazingly good looking, because its not. It has a HORRIBLE framerate during anything intensive and you can never type/chat during encounters. WoW was designed to be playable on lowend systems...which is smart business because it greatly increases your potential userbase. If you turn all the settings on WoW to their max, the game looks drastically better. Its horribly biased to take ss from various people who use different graphics setting and say thats the standard for a game.

Your comparison of those pictures was the equivlent of showing WoW being run with a geforce 4 and FFXI with a geforce6800 ultra or w/e the fk the newest card is. Its not accurate.

omg
    http://img419.imageshack.us/img419/1...torrent3uo.jpg
    vs.
    [removed broken image]
    omg ffxi doesn't look better in that straight up comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Anderian
    Not this conversation again.
    You either like the WoW graphics, or you don't. Simple as that. Now shut the fuck up.

PS. We seriously need one of them dead horse smilies here.
    People like FF5's graphics. That doesn't make them good. Low poly, low res isn't a style, it's shitty quality. They could have pulled off their "style" much better with high-res textures and 10x the poly count. Instead they coded an engine that would have been competitive 6 years ago.

But then defending a company for their incompatence should be expected from someone that doesn't mind sitting in wait queues, haveing every single patch re-patched half a dozen times, and having classes completely changed every 2 months because they can't balance shit to save their lives. I liked Warcraft and loved Diablo 2 and Starcraft, but they dropped the ball with WoW.

WOW
    [removed broken image]

FFXI
    [removed broken image]

First let me say, I don't see how WoW looks ANYTHING like PSO. I don't really understand why people compare FFXI graphics to WoW, there so diffrent. IMO WoW reminds me of a Fable/Zelda type of look, while FFXI diffrent and I can't even think of a game that it looks like.

FFXI PS2
    [removed broken image]

I would never play FFXI on PS2, it's total shit and run's terrible. On PC, both WOW and FFXI look great IMO, but when I play WOW I dont even bother or care to window it because It's just that nice.

Xavier

Quote Originally Posted by FFXIFlux
    but they dropped the ball with WoW.
    4 million people disagree compared to FFXIs 500,000. If they dropped the ball, Square was the kid on the bench who was only allowed on the team because the school forced the coachs to accept everyone.

My last post should've pretty much said this, but its retarded to compare PC graphics on games where the limit is your graphics card. PS2 FFXI is utter garbage, and both FFXI and WoW on the PC can have almost identical graphical quality (with vastly different graphical styles)...it all depends on your graphics card.

Which means it comes down to content and faith in a company...and my faith in Blizzard to listen to its fanbase is a lot higher than Squares, hands down.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Dont forget, when the new expansion comes out, or even sooner, SE is implenting a new graphics engine for PC and XBOX360 to utilize.

Xavier

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX
    Dont forget, when the new expansion comes out, or even sooner, SE is implenting a new graphics engine for PC and XBOX360 to utilize.
    Do you have a link to where thats stated? Because as far as I know, the XBOX360 version is basically going to look identical to the PC version, and basically just replacing the ps2 completely. If you have a link to Square directly stating they would be overhauling the graphics engine, that'd be appreciated.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Guuh.. let me try to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier
    4 million people disagree compared to FFXIs 500,000. If they dropped the ball, Square was the kid on the bench who was only allowed on the team because the school forced the coachs to accept everyone.

My last post should've pretty much said this, but its retarded to compare PC graphics on games where the limit is your graphics card. PS2 FFXI is utter garbage, and both FFXI and WoW on the PC can have almost identical graphical quality (with vastly different graphical styles)...it all depends on your graphics card.

Which means it comes down to content and faith in a company...and my faith in Blizzard to listen to its fanbase is a lot higher than Squares, hands down.
    I agree with your post 100%.

and I'll tell you what XB360 will bring to FFXI, about 200,000 more people - 150,000 of them being 13 year old little bitches THATS TYpES+O LIKES THIS AHAHA, have you played Xbox Live!? When I play I keep my headset off just so I don't have to listen to the fucking mickey mouse club act like stright up gangster's online.

4 million people disagree compared to FFXIs 500,000.
    And how many voted Bush for President? That makes him a good president? WoW's fanbase is made up of 1.5 million chinese players who are farming gold, 1 million Diablo 2 fanbois tired of farming yellows but can't leave Blizzard, 1 million people waiting for Vanguard to come out, 400,000 people who were frustrated because they couldn't jump so never made it past Ronfaure, 99,999 accounts in Korean bangs which are never used, and Ted the janitor at Blizzard who got a free copy and doesn't have to pay subscription.

My last post should've pretty much said this, but its retarded to compare PC graphics on games where the limit is your graphics card.
    If that statement was true about WoW then I wouldn't be argueing. But the limit isn't my graphics card since WoW looks identical on a card 6 generations old as it does on the current model.

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX
    Do you have a link to where thats stated? Because as far as I know, the XBOX360 version is basically going to look identical to the PC version, and basically just replacing the ps2 completely. If you have a link to Square directly stating they would be overhauling the graphics engine, that'd be appreciated.
    One of the recent interviews they pretty much said they're doing jack all t the engine and implied they'd make another MMORPG before doing any real work on FFXI.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast