Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Woodworking 98-100 question.

For those who've done it, what would you think is the ideal thing to synth/what did you do?

I've been told 98-99 on lancewood logs is pretty horrible by a fellow LS mate who's currently 100+3. Something about it not giving skill ups as well, not sure if that is true but I do know that another friend of mine went through about 28 logs before he got 1 level (98.0 -> 99.0)

I'm stuck between doing iron/steel splitters and primate/kinkobo. I'm not too sure on which to take as the cheapest but best skill up path.

I've got about 14mil to work with. I can easily sell off something like a triumph earring tho for about 9-10mil (prices goin nuts) <.<
    Thanks.

28 synths for 1.0 is pretty sexy at 98...took me 42 and took a friend over 50 in Cloth at a loss of 400k per synth.

I'd try those if you can get your hands on the logs.

Kinkobo I believe requirest a specialized alchemical ingredient, ethereal vermillion or something. You might want to check your ability to get ahold of this in large quantities before you commit to making a bajillion primate staves. The upside: these seem to sell.

Iron Splitters suck as much as ever; if you have an underleveled smithing sub you can try to break-skill on these to save adaman. The new upside: if you actually succeed, you can recraft it to a Steel Splitter for almost free if you have the key item for the animated lumber. So basically you get 2 synths per adaman ingot now if you are successful. Are you gonna save 50% or more of your adaman ingots if you breakskill? Good question.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I'm not there yet (83 but climbing), but my plan is to do mainly Lancewood logs to 98, and then mix with a few Iron/Steel Splitters to 99, then full Iron/Steel Splitters to 100.

And I really think 28 synths for 98-99, is a very good number. 81-82 took me 28 Battle Staves, and 82-83 took me 34.

I'm only 81, gonna start making mega pumps to 86, then I'm gonna stop. Gotta level up subcrafts and whatever.. then it's one long push to 100. :O

Predictably Unpredictable
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

98-99 took less than 20 synths I think on Lancewood lumber.. 30-40k per log too.

99-100 was an easy 3-5mil on adaman ingots tho.

Quote Originally Posted by sekaran
    98-99 took less than 20 synths I think on Lancewood lumber.. 30-40k per log too.

Oy... are you serious? >< People are dicks, the logs are 160-180k here.

When did you finish wood? >.> I would totally wanna be on that server if it was current.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

98-99 lancewood lumber (pain in the ass)
    99-100 iron splitter (took me 12 ingots only, trick is to keep ur smithing relatively low so that u break a lot and have a chance not to lose the ingot)

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Gilmaster
    98-99 lancewood lumber (pain in the ass)
    99-100 iron splitter (took me 12 ingots only, trick is to keep ur smithing relatively low so that u break a lot and have a chance not to lose the ingot)
    how low is your low?

Ya.>.> how low. My smithing is at about 30ish, I dont want to bring it up past that point.

Predictably Unpredictable
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Arvin

When did you finish wood? >.> I would totally wanna be on that server if it was current.
    This was months and months ago.. I'm sure they've risen since then. I haven't had a need to check.. but I'll check again.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Ya.>.> how low. My smithing is at about 30ish, I dont want to bring it up past that point.
    I think (but am not 100% sure) that the subcraft level requirement is the same as the main craft level requirement, aka 15 below current reciepe cap.

Iron-Splitter cap is 100 woodworking and 60 smithing, meaning you should need smithing at 45 to be able to do that synth.

Lancewood Logs are 90-100k on my server.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

This was months and months ago.. I'm sure they've risen since then. I haven't had a need to check.. but I'll check again.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

You can't make iron splitters at that point like Kiro said, as for relatively low for me i had it at like 52 and wud break quite a lot.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Loading up on elemental support is supposed to reduce your losses on blown synths. I have heard this work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Soje
    Loading up on elemental support is supposed to reduce your losses on blown synths. I have heard this work well.
    Yeah, Ill end up adjusting my MH's element.

Time to get smithing up to low 50's >.>

ls member did 33 logs (lance) for a grand total of .6 :D

Getting an overwhelming element in your MH should be extremely easy, since you're in the craft that makes furniture. Just gotta clear out space and maybe make a mule to hold all your crap. Then just craft your ass off.~

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I'm not woodworking but I would rather have low smithing if I was so I would break every iron splitter and not lose the adaman ingot a decent number of tries. I think being way under the smithing cap would only hurt your smithing skill ups and not your woodworking skill ups. (never really tested though)

Getting an adaman ingot back every 2nd or 3rd try would be better than the 17k or whatever you would get from selling the iron splitter or the adaman nuggets you would get back every 10th try desynthing.

Edit: I just noticed Gilmaster said similar.