Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    E. Body
    BG Level

How to make THF good at HNMs/PTs:

Bring back Yokodama a.k.a. sideways SATA. Now this may not be much help on say, gods, but on wyrms this should be amazing and certainly allow for THFs to do full damage without any risk of flail and whatnot. In EXP PTs, back in the day, there was no need for any form of hate grabbing or voking for SATAs by the DD because the THF would just be set in the yokodama position and do full damage while the tank would do his job without worrying about getting too much hate. As a tank, I feel that they should bring back yokodama. THF was incredibly popular when it was around and definitely felt "overpowered" but back then, some of the other melees werent as good as they are now, whereas THF is a little poopsock, meaning if yokodama was really brought back, THF would be on par with other melees IMO.

Of course, there is always the problem with low damage daggers hitting for 0s and 5s and weaponskills hitting for 500 on HNMs when other DDs do much better, and even though Assassin is a nice addition to the job it just doesn't boost THFs endgame, which at the moment they are a little lacking in, but I think yokodama would be the start of great things for the job and bring back some popularity back in the higher end of the game for THF.

So to summarise: I miss yokodama

edit: just for people who may not be familiar with what yokodama is, heres a pic, the THF is on the far right using SATA, the tank is the old guy in the middle and the mob is that scary thing, behind it are the melees.

http://woys.hp.infoseek.co.jp/yokodama2.jpg

or just give thf a 2h weapon that's like 2 daggers (like zidane and the guy from chrono cross used), and then boost the damage formula for 2h weapons so the game doesn't so blatantly hump the /nin dual wielders.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

you can SATA on wyrms if you're smart...

but not on anything else

yes bring swallows into the game please they are my favorite weapons in any game.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Sounds cool, do you have a video of this being done. I don't totally understand the whole "sideways SATA", I always thought for SA and TA to go off it had to have another person in between the mob and THF.

thfs dont sa/ta from behind for enough to get hate off a good tank
    only an incredible thf can get it off a shitty tank

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I want to try this out now, sounds pretty intresting. Is this best on Deco Weapons or can it be done on IT+ Statues and Birds?

Quote Originally Posted by Heian
    I want to try this out now, sounds pretty intresting. Is this best on Deco Weapons or can it be done on IT+ Statues and Birds?
    It can't be done anymore, it was nerfed. Also, TA always required the person to be between the thf and the mob I thought. SA, you only had to be on the side of the mob.

E. Body
    BG Level

Erm, you can't try it because it doesn't work anymore. They removed it like a month after NA release Hence the thread, I miss it. And I agree with bert.

Quote Originally Posted by edgarfigaro
    It can't be done anymore, it was nerfed. Also, TA always required the person to be between the thf and the mob I thought. SA, you only had to be on the side of the mob.
    Nope, you could get 2 THFs and position them on both sides, and have them rip with SATA, not just SA. Thats why there was no need for your drk or drg or whatever to sub WAR to get hate after WS. It was the best thing that ever happened to this game, but sadly got nerfed

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Razz
    Erm, you can't try it because it doesn't work anymore. They removed it like a month after NA release Hence the thread, I miss it. And I agree with bert.

Quote Originally Posted by edgarfigaro
    Nope, you could get 2 THFs and position them on both sides, and have them rip with SATA, not just SA. Thats why there was no need for your drk or drg or whatever to sub WAR to get hate after WS. It was the best thing that ever happened to this game, but sadly got nerfed
    Well sounds like we have another reason to say "Fuck You SE"

Isn't it a Double Volge (sp?) and not a Swallow?

Re: How to make THF good at HNMs/PTs:

Quote Originally Posted by Razz

edit: just for people who may not be familiar with what yokodama is, heres a pic, the THF is on the far right using SATA, the tank is the old guy in the middle and the mob is that scary thing, behind it are the melees.

http://woys.hp.infoseek.co.jp/yokodama2.jpg
    ROFL

New Merits
    BG Level

back in the day you could SATA with about a 45 degree area directly behind the mob. now you have to be directly behind ;.; it made the job alot less fun at the time. ;.;

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

Here's a less flippant example;

[removed broken image]

Even if I do understand why, I still say that removing Yokodama was the worst nerf ever done to FFXI. PLD THF THF parties were the shit lol.

Would be cool if they brought this back for THF main only.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I still don't understand how this pinned hate on the tank?? sure you could sneak attack from almost anythere but what was diffrent about trick attack?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by XxSlusherxx
    I still don't understand how this pinned hate on the tank?? sure you could sneak attack from almost anythere but what was diffrent about trick attack?
    It worked because you stood out of the enemies cone of sight.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

and trick would automatically pick the tank for hate, thats the only thing I don't get?? because the mob always looks at the tank, so you can't be behind him. I'm just legitamately curious, this was nerfed when I was still a whm.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

and trick would automatically pick the tank for hate, thats the only thing I don't get?? because the mob always looks at the tank, so you can't be behind him.
    You are directly in line with the tank, ever so slightly behind him. It's really hard to describe why it worked.

and trick would automatically pick the tank for hate, thats the only thing I don't get?? because the mob always looks at the tank, so you can't be behind him. I'm just legitamately curious, this was nerfed when I was still a whm.
    the "yokodama nerf" just made it so that you HAD to use sneak attack from the rear of the monster, before the nerf you could stand to the side and SA+TA